lilmac

Is Christopher Nolan among the alltime greats?

I think he's already there. His films may not age well but he'll always be remembered as one of the definitive filmmakers of the aughts decade and hopefully beyond.

Prestige not age well, memento not age well, inception not age well even insomnia, i could agree will following, begins and dark knight (aint seen tdkr yet so cannot comment)

With six critically acclaimed movies under his belt, is it too early to list (not rank) among the greatest directors? I don't think so. By 1989, when Spielberg was the same age as Nolan (42) is now, we knew that he would be a legend. Same for Kubrick, Scorcese, and Coppolla. Nolan has impeccable filmmaking skills and a fantastic range. What do you think?Does he need more movies under his belt? Does he need more timeless classics to qualify (2001, ET, Godfather)?

Yes, I think it is t early to rank or list Nolan among the greats. He is close to breaking out huge but needs a few more movies before joining the elite.

While Spielberg's form dropped of recently this guy directed Schindler's List, E.T., Raiders of the Lost Arc and Close Encounters of The Third Kind Marty directed Goodfellas,Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Last Temptation of Christ and Hugo ( damn idk about you but I got a hard on after this sentence ) There's no need to mention Kubrick's versatility as it already has been Now, I love Nolan but he really needs to branch out with the same level of quality of his movies in order to be considered 'great'

Fishnets made the point that Hitchcock never really branched out. Correct me if I'm wrong but before Departed and Hugo neither did Scorcese (at least great movies outside of his main gangster genre, i don't think alice and last temptation were great).InceptionPrestigeMementoBatman BeginsDark KnightDark Knight RisesThose are six Nolan movies in the IMDB Top 250 so he must be a legend! :P

Edited by lilmac

I don't think you have to branch out and get out of your comfort zone to be a legend. Would anyone argue against Woody Allen being an iconic filmmaker, even though he always does basically the same film? He has recently changed the scenery, sure, but it's always the lives and loves of neurotic white people with a big city backdrop.

I don't think you have to branch out and get out of your comfort zone to be a legend. Would anyone argue against Woody Allen being an iconic filmmaker, even though he always does basically the same film? He has recently changed the scenery, sure, but it's always the lives and loves of neurotic white people with a big city backdrop.

Agreed. Those who are legends are really REALLY good in their zone. And considering that there are many others who are alright in many zones but never really REALLY good in any, that`s something.

There`s no need for QT to start making non-QT movies (like some wanted Django to be) when he`s exceptionally good at making QT movies.

Edited by fishnets

I'm not sure I want him to do that. I like the tone of his films. They're mechanical and composed yet lively and beautiful at the same time. No one has been able to walk that kind of tightrope like Nolan has.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

So Hitchcock is not one of the greats because he didn`t make a family movie? Just because a director isn`t a genre crossover it doesn`t make him less great.

Hitchcock is not just "one of the greats", Hitchcock was a God amongst men , when it comes to movie- making .(just wanted to get that off my chest )Anyway Nolan is NOT among the all time greats . Inception was a pretentious mess, Insomnia was good but a remake and the original was better , Memento was awful and his batman series is good but not that good to elevate him to "among the all time greats" status . "The prestige" is his best movie , IMO.

Well, according to critical reviews and audience reception, he seems to be 8 for 8 as far as films are concerned.Side note: I'm sure Paul Thomas Anderson will be 6 for 6 after this year.

If the audience reception was that great he would have had more hit movies other than the batman series and maybe inception (even though it did average for such a hyped movie) .

If the audience reception was that great he would have had more hit movies other than the batman series and maybe inception (even though it did average for such a hyped movie) .

800M+ worldwide with no franchise, no popular novel, no 3D and a concept considered complex and original. I'd say it was a big hit.Are you saying Paul Thomas Anderson isn't well liked because TWWB was his only profitable film?

I don't think he is for one reason, all he's great movies have the same basic backbone. Think of Memento, Inception and The Prestige. When you think of the real great Directors, they have done an array of acclaimed and successful movies. Nolan has ways to go, but he's certainly on his way.

I don't think he is for one reason, all he's great movies have the same basic backbone. Think of Memento, Inception and The Prestige.When you think of the real great Directors, they have done an array of acclaimed and successful movies. Nolan has ways to go, but he's certainly on his way.

I agree with this. Needs more variety in his work before we can truly say.

Except Woody has made a movie every single year since 1969. A lot of them have been pretty good. He's obviously of the most accomplished writer/directors of the medium. I agree that Nolan isn't yet but he could be on his way. I'd love to see him balance big and small movies.

Nah, he needs some more movies on the level of The Prestige. I need to catch up with some of the greats whose material was before my time, but I definitely wouldn't put him with Fincher or Tarantino, who are my favorites at the moment. I'd put him at the level of JC or a little higher at the moment.