CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

No joke, I've never seen pre-sales like this for any animated film ever before in the UK. Minions opens tomorrow, pre-sales around my area look bigger than both JW and AoU. Even for Friday night. Saturday is another level.

• Like 3

There's crazy and then there's just plain insanity. This is the latter. It won't even do half that OW. This board is off the rails with Minions.

Like your $80-100 million DOM predict for Underdogs?  :P

Minions is improving significantly over DM2 in pre-sales/OS. $120-150 million OW is fairly reasonable. $200 million is ridiculous, but after Jurassic World, no $200 million OW for any tentpole should be considered complete insanity.

Minions has no direct competition (since Ant-Man/Pixels aren't direct comp for Underdogs, same goes for Minions) for 3.5 weeks. And I hesitate to even consider Shaun the Sheep or Underdogs true competition if this gets a $130-150 million OW. They'll be hurt by Minions/IO like DM2/MU hurt Turbo and Smurfs 2. 

After having its trailer attached to every showing of JW and IO, I don't see how it misses $300 million+ DOM. $90-100 million is the floor for its OW. 

Not to mention DM2/Frozen has shown a precedent for two $350 million+ DOM animated films in a single calendar year. IO and Minions could definitely pull that off - and for the sake of continuing the record-breaking pace, a gigantic Minions breakout is needed. 

My friend is in town for the summer and the theatre wants to hire him part time, but it isn't busy enough yet to add an extra person to the shifts, so they said wait and see how Minions is tracking next week. Now I have a personal reason to root for this movie... at least in my town.

• Like 1

Got tickets for tomorrow at half 5 in 3D, and it's already about half full, which for a 3D animated film is fantastic!

I saw it today and I thought I'd miss most of the kids since I saw it at noon but a whole class of them came into the cinema. Looked like a school trip.