Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

Exp2 10.5, BL 5.5, Spark/Para 4.5, Camp 4.2, OLT 3.3, TDKR 3, HS 2.8, DOWK3 1.1, TR 1.0

Not good for Expendables 2...lower OW than Expendables 1 is surprising and further disappointment for a lacklustre summer.

Rth ....... Exp2 10.5, BL 5.5, Spark/Para 4.5, Camp 4.2, OLT 3.3, TDKR 3, HS 2.8, DOWK3 1.1, TR 1.0

So which is usually the more accurate? thanks

That's a bit different, The Hangover didn't reach the heights of even There's Something About Mary in Australia, whereas TDK was far and away the biggest comic book movie at the time. The Hangover had much more room to expand. TDK pretty much hit the peak.

My point was: if UK and Australia stayed flat, doesn't mean NA would have as well.TDK was #2 all-time in NA, while it ranked lower in AUS and UK. That's why if those markets stayed flat, NA would have more likely decreased.

My point was: if UK and Australia stayed flat, doesn't mean NA would have as well.TDK was #2 all-time in NA, while it ranked lower in AUS and UK. That's why if those markets stayed flat, NA would have more likely decreased.

Decreased sure, but to a lesser extent.

Exp2 10.5, BL 5.5, Spark/Para 4.5, Camp 4.2, OLT 3.3, TDKR 3, HS 2.8, DOWK3 1.1, TR 1.0

Oh man..even at 3am this doesn't look much better for EX2. WTF!? I just can't believe this may open up less than EX1. I can really see how easy it is to get caught up in the whole hype about a movie but EX1 opening seemed like the minimum. At least BL is looking better @ up 80+% and may end up between 17-18M. :) Back to sleep. I doubt it'll happen with a RTH late update, but hopefully the numbers will pick up just a little.

I'm massively disappointed in the gross and to quote Jet Li from Expendables, "It's too sad to talk about it." I can only hope Nikki's 11.5 includes midnights from the night before. The good news is the A- cinemascore should ensure that it has decent legs. So I can only hope for a 31 OW and 80-85 finish. That is not good, but not terrible. Overseas could still be big too.

Aw, come on. You were off by potentially 20m+. You have to expect the crow.

Yes, I can take the crow. But last night I was not in the mood. I was crushed by the numbers and bitter about how I felt about the movie. Today's a little better, but still kind of raw. It's like the day after your team is in the 7th game of the finals and they lose in overtime. Youre pissed and not in the mood to be ribbed. It gets easier as time goes by.

The fanbase seems to enjoy it so it has done well.I honestly never saw $50M ow ever happening. I'm a late 80's early 90's kid and I grew up with Arnold, Sly, Jean-Claude etc...but honestly the gimmick has not worked for me. Yes I would kill to see them all in one movie BUT at their PRIME not way past their sell by date.

Well my worst fears happen. I can't believe this is going to gross less than Bourne. I saw the movie yesterday afternoon and the theater was pretty packed for a 2:10 showing. The Movie was pretty good, a little underwhelming in parts but from a nostalgia purposes, it did it's job. But these numbers are about 10 million less than I was expecting. Let's not forget "The R Rating" did limit it's audience. I wasn't expecting a huge jump from the 1st but to possibly gross less? That's not right. I heard about the bomb scare and of course Auroua shooting is still being felt. It's going to take longer than a mouth guys for people to feel comfortable again. I think EX2 will do well on Home video and hopefully it will make up the difference worldwide. But even I can't spin those numbers, it should of done better than the original. As for the rest of the weekend, Meh.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

I completely blew the EX2 prediction but I at least called that Bourne would not have an a atrocious collapse this weekend. I'm glad to see it hold fairly well.