CJohn

Weekend Actuals (Taken 2 - 49.5M, Hotel Transylvania - 27.05M)

I'm ok with the Pitch Perfect and Frankenweenie numbers but Taken 2 has taken me by surprise. I'm fine though because if I had to pay and sit through that movie at least many other people did too. Misery loves company.

Edited by glassfairy

• Founder / Operator

How do you get 50m for Taken? Daily breakdown?And is there a midnight number?

Heh. I'm not involved with determining the weekend projections on Saturdays, I just write the report.I think the midnight was $1.5m? Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

Thanks Shawn and Gopher.I am thinking closer to 45m than 50m.

No prob. And I agree, Gopher's breakdown on the previous page looks quite reasonable to me. The one thing in its favor may be the dependence on older audiences which could help prevent a social media effect, but its hard to tell with this kind of movie. I have to think that a movie making nearly $20 million in one day without 3D or IMAX has some decent share of younger crowds too.I'm stunned at how fast the IMDb and Flixster scores have been dropping since yesterday. Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

Taken 1 OW: 24,7MTaken 2 OW: nearly 50MPeople really liked that Taken, did they?

Which is kind of interesting to me because its almost as if we can reverse engineer that film's run by seeing Taken 2's opening, which would be close to the benchmark 3x multiplier compared to Taken 1's final gross ($145m). Really puts into perspective how well liked that first movie was.

• Founder / Operator

Doubt it stays flat either. Everyone is saying the same thing, that the movie is meh. Meh doesn't equal good wom or a sat increase.

Yeah, I could see it staying flat with Fri-excluding-sneaks, but I'm definitely thinking around $16.5-17m for today.

Very happy for "Taken 2". I think critics again over analyze films like this. This is exactly why Critics underestimated the 1st film. Fans like Liam as an action hero. They enjoy seeing him kick a$$. The sequel wasn't a Classic by any means and it wasn't better than the 1st but it was satisfying enough for audiences to enjoy it. Shawn brought up social media. "Taken 2" and "Liam Nesson" was trending all night. So the movie didn't just appeal to adults but teens also. Bring on "Taken 3", just without his family this time.

• Like 1

Very happy for "Taken 2". I think critics again over analyze films like this. This is exactly why Critics underestimated the 1st film. Fans like Liam as an action hero. They enjoy seeing him kick a$$. The sequel wasn't a Classic by any means and it wasn't better than the 1st but it was satisfying enough for audiences to enjoy it. Shawn brought up social media. "Taken 2" and "Liam Nesson" was trending all night. So the movie didn't just appeal to adults but teens also. Bring on "Taken 3", just without his family this time.

W.O.M. doesn't kick in until after opening weekend.