Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Apple, Amazon and Disney (I'm very sceptical of that last one) likely buyers of the new entity if thats the way things go. 

Also from the article "Then again, if Zaslav does sell, there’s $115 million waiting for him as a change of control provision in his contract if he departs as CEO." 

In other news "Discovery Extends CEO David Zaslav’s Contract Through 2027" 🤔 of course it could just be an extension to make sure that the merger is clean, which is the most likely reason but still very interesting information coming through now. 

source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/discovery-ceo-david-zaslavs-contract-through-2027-1234759494/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Apple, Amazon and Disney (I'm very sceptical of that last one) likely buyers of the new entity if thats the way things go. 

Also from the article "Then again, if Zaslav does sell, there’s $115 million waiting for him as a change of control provision in his contract if he departs as CEO." 

In other news "Discovery Extends CEO David Zaslav’s Contract Through 2027" 🤔 of course it could just be an extension to make sure that the merger is clean, which is the most likely reason but still very interesting information coming through now. 

source: https://deadline.com/2021/05/discovery-ceo-david-zaslavs-contract-through-2027-1234759494/

Disney doesn't need it and is still digesting the Fox sale, also focused on recovering from the Covid crisis.

Amazon could buy it but I feel like it might be overkill and not necessary as they're already big enough streaming wise, it'd be bad for the industry.

Apple is the one that makes sense: Apple TV+ isn't a success and it would give them exactly what they need to be a big part of this industry it'd be healthier for the industry as a 5th big streaming giant would emerge and fight for market share.

Edited by Fullbuster

51 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Disney doesn't need it and is still digesting the Fox sale, also focused on recovering from the Covid crisis.

Amazon could buy it but I feel like it might be overkill and not necessary as they're already big enough streaming wise, it'd be bad for the industry.

Apple is the one that makes sense: Apple TV+ isn't a success and it would give them exactly what they need to be a big part of this industry it'd be healthier for the industry as a 5th big streaming giant would emerge and fight for market share.

I agree that Disney don't need to acquire anything else, they are in a good spot (and on a personal note I want more competition) However if they did it would probably be one of the worst acquisitions they could make as I think DOJ would fight it hard as they likely wouldn't let own the Warner sports nets, 3 major studios (Disney, Warner, 20th Century) and over 50% of the comic market (DC and Marvel) If they were forced to divest that, they wouldn't be getting that much worthwhile and it would still cost them more than the Fox deal (which compared to this Warner-Discovery and Amazon-MGM recently now seems very good from a value perspective)

Disney would be better off buying a EA or Activision as less headaches with DOJ, gets them more diversified and probably better IP and a new way to use their own IP, although as I've mentioned before they seem fine with licensing their IP for video games at the moment. 

As for Warner I think it's most likely with the debt of the new company to get acquired. I'd agree Apple is the top, Amazon I still think is second, Microsoft is a dark horse if they want to get into general entertainment to complement their Xbox division but Xbox One bit them in the ass last time they tried something TV based.

The company could survive itself but would need to be managed well to ensure streaming is a relatively quick success (the fact that the deal is going to take roughly a year doesn't help), so when cable starts negatively impacting them they can still fund streaming programming without going further into debt or having to sell assets. 

Merger with NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS is possible but the debt is a big worry particularly if cable subs drop more than anticipated as that is were the cash flow of this new company is coming from.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

Disney isn't making another Fox sized purchase in the next 10 years at the minimum. I don't think they can even afford MGM right now.

It's obviously premature but Apple is the one with the most to gain from acquiring a big library. Shocked that they let MGM slip past them.

Disney has moved beyond what these other companies are trying to do - scale in the US market. They’ve got that and more (their market share in the US is above Netflix now and Churn is the best in the business  - and a barrage of content is coming between all their production units. They’re focus now is to scale across the planet. In all likelihood They will begin a process of partnering and then acquiring local production units across Asia and Europe over the years. These companies are always available for purchase as we’ve seen now. If there’s an opportunity at a good price in the future they will make their move if it’s beneficial. 

as for WarnerDiscovery (?) reading the details of the deal show how bad a position the company will be in. HBO Max has not done well at all in its expansion hopes in the US, falling further and further behind in market share. They will now essentially have to sell a second launch or expansion in a matter of 2 years and the first one didn’t do much of anything. As for acquisition, any company that acquired inherits nearly 60 billion in debt. That is simply crazy and why this merger will fail sooner rather than later and why It will be piecemealed to the highest bidder over time. 

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Disney has moved beyond what these other companies are trying to do - scale in the US market. They’ve got that and more (their market share in the US is above Netflix now and Churn is the best in the business  - and a barrage of content is coming between all their production units. They’re focus now is to scale across the planet. In all likelihood They will begin a process of partnering and then acquiring local production units across Asia and Europe over the years. These companies are always available for purchase as we’ve seen now. If there’s an opportunity at a good price in the future they will make their move if it’s beneficial. 

as for WarnerDiscovery (?) reading the details of the deal show how bad a position the company will be in. HBO Max has not done well at all in its expansion hopes in the US, falling further and further behind in market share. They will now essentially have to sell a second launch or expansion in a matter of 2 years and the first one didn’t do much of anything. As for acquisition, any company that acquired inherits nearly 60 billion in debt. That is simply crazy and why this merger will fail sooner rather than later and why It will be piecemealed to the highest bidder over time. 

Given that they're the service with movies like Godzilla v Kong, WW84, and Mortal Kombat debuting...it boggles the mind that HBO Max didn't gain more subs. Aren't they at 40-50 mil at the most right now?

3 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Given that they're the service with movies like Godzilla v Kong, WW84, and Mortal Kombat debuting...it boggles the mind that HBO Max didn't gain more subs. Aren't they at 40-50 mil at the most right now?

I believe HBO Itself has 37 million at the height of GOT. Max and HBO total now around 41 million I believe 

Apparently COMCAST has indeed also "entertained" ideas of partnering/swallowing WarnerMedia as well, in recent times...

Comcast sneak attack in the next 6-12 months to disrupt this sale?

This avalanche may not be over yet...

https://variety.com/2021/biz/entertainment-industry/warnermedia-discovery-deal-david-zaslav-1234976145/

4 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Apparently COMCAST has indeed also "entertained" ideas of partnering/swallowing WarnerMedia as well, in recent times...

Comcast sneak attack in the next 6-12 months to disrupt this sale?

This avalanche may not be over yet...

https://variety.com/2021/biz/entertainment-industry/warnermedia-discovery-deal-david-zaslav-1234976145/

I don’t think that’s really possible. Comcast has around 100 billion in debt. This would be an outright acquisition on their part and would balloon that to nearly 200 billion. That’s the mess T is trying to get out of now. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, Jamiem said:

I agree that Disney don't need to acquire anything else, they are in a good spot (and on a personal note I want more competition) However if they did it would probably be one of the worst acquisitions they could make as I think DOJ would fight it hard as they likely wouldn't let own the Warner sports nets, 3 major studios (Disney, Warner, 20th Century) and over 50% of the comic market (DC and Marvel) If they were forced to divest that, they wouldn't be getting that much worthwhile and it would still cost them more than the Fox deal (which compared to this Warner-Discovery and Amazon-MGM recently now seems very good from a value perspective)

Disney would be better off buying a EA or Activision as less headaches with DOJ, gets them more diversified and probably better IP and a new way to use their own IP, although as I've mentioned before they seem fine with licensing their IP for video games at the moment. 

As for Warner I think it's most likely with the debt of the new company to get acquired. I'd agree Apple is the top, Amazon I still think is second, Microsoft is a dark horse if they want to get into general entertainment to complement their Xbox division but Xbox One bit them in the ass last time they tried something TV based.

The company could survive itself but would need to be managed well to ensure streaming is a relatively quick success (the fact that the deal is going to take roughly a year doesn't help), so when cable starts negatively impacting them they can still fund streaming programming without going further into debt or having to sell assets. 

Merger with NBCUniversal or ViacomCBS is possible but the debt is a big worry particularly if cable subs drop more than anticipated as that is were the cash flow of this new company is coming from.

If they were to divest themselves of say DC*, I would be morbidly curious to see how much $ would be offered. 

*=Let's remember that back in the 1980s, Marvel came close to getting DC which only didn't happen because of Anti-trust worries at a time when the domestic comic book market was alot more valuable than it is now. Quite frankly its a glorified R&D/licensing game for the Big Two these days. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Stop posting shit from this grifter lmao. It's not even up to Universal to acquire another company.

can we just ban Grace here. I have never seen one single useful thing from her except... you know.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

25 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

Well, I don't ... know what?

Reading again the 2nd sentence make no sense from me. Sorry.

Her trailer updates are some time right I guess. Her box office takes are just awful. That's what I read most of time, which are shared every now and then, thought quite less now.

• Thanks 1