Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

"Some of our industry's biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service."

Clearly Nolan, like the rest of the world, never heard (or even cared to find out about) Quibi (RIP).

• Haha 5

Probably a reach but have any of our fellow forum goers that are in the industry spoken about this at all? Understandably it seems like even those in the industry were completely sideswiped by this move but some input from them would be nice to read!

46 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They've already hurt themselves with all the bad press they've received from this so they've already lost.

Honestly feels like this is the biggest PR debacle a studio has ever faced. Pissing away hundreds of millions of dollars and potentially alienating relationships with the biggest names in Hollywood all to boost a streaming service that's been off to an inauspicious start.

Bad press from who? Surely not consumers. Just rich assholes pissy they're getting 5 mil instead of 10 mil. They'll get over their BS sooner or later

Fuck Nolan btw. Risking people's lives just to take advantage of his 20% cut. What a ----. Dude's ego is completely out of control

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, meridan said:

:wintf:

They definitely gave them the premium treatment since it was guaranteed to be the biggest movie out of all their movies this year and next year (minus The Batman which was originally going to open in 2021 but ended up going off to the following year). Doesn't excuse the terrible way they treated everyone behind the 16 other movies that are now going this route though.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Fuck Nolan btw. Risking people's lives just to take advantage of his 20% cut. What a ----. Dude's ego is completely out of control

That makes no sense. His 20% cut would have been a lot better if the film was delayed until 2021 or later and the gross would have been potentially 2x higher. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Bad press from who? Surely not consumers. Just rich assholes pissy they're getting 5 mil instead of 10 mil. They'll get over their BS sooner or later

The one that risk people live is still sitting in White House

People all over Reddit are acting like Nolan is being a sour grape about this, and that this is somehow all his fault. The hate bandwagon for him has been out in full force ever since the Tenet situation. 

To be clear, Nolan is not the sole person in Hollywood who’s mad about this decision. WB and AT&T have reportedly screwed over a lot of people by making this decision without informing them about it beforehand. Even if you dislike Nolan, I’m not sure why this boneheaded decision needs to be defended.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People all over Reddit are acting like Nolan is being a sour grape about this, and that this is somehow all his fault. The hate bandwagon for him has been out in full force ever since the Tenet situation. 

To be clear, Nolan is not the sole person in Hollywood who’s mad about this decision. WB and AT&T have reportedly screwed over a lot of people by making this decision without informing them about it beforehand. Even if you dislike Nolan, I’m not sure why this boneheaded decision needs to be defended.

Reddit is cancer

27 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The one that risk people live is still sitting in White House

You're right. Nolan's ego trip doesn't help though

Even if an exodus happens, nothing of value will be lost. None of these actors sell and all directors like Villeneuve do is make movies nobody gives 2 shits about

This is just rich people bitching they won't be as rich as previously thought. Fuck em!

Edited by DlAMONDZ

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

You're right. Nolan's ego trip doesn't help though

Even if an exodus happens, nothing of value will be lost. Actors don't sell anymore and all directors like Villeneuve do is make movies nobody gives 2 shits about

This is just rich people bitching they won't be as rich as previously thought. Fuck em!

I understand not pitying the wealth of the higher ups, I personally don't either. That said I would like to point out that there tons of people that work for these films that aren't on nearly as high of a payscale, for whom these ripples through the industry directly affect as well. We don't know what the ramifications for this shell shock to have throughout the industry on creative or general operating levels yet.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

I understand not pitying the wealth of the higher ups, I personally don't either. That said I would like to point out that there tons of people that work for these films that aren't on nearly as high of a payscale, for whom these ripples through the industry directly affect as well. We don't know what the ramifications for this shell shock to have throughout the industry on creative or general operating levels yet.

The problem is that the conversation is very one-sided here, it's all about what will be lost with streaming and not about what will be gained.

Streaming is likely to bring a lot from a creative standpoint with lower budget movies taking more risks, shows about some big IPs like Star Wars allowing to deepen the lore more than ever before..etc..And let's not even talk about comfort and price compared to theaters.

I know, it's a forum for movie enthusiasts with a longstanding passion for the theater experience, I understand being anxious or mad...it's jsut that it's disingenuous to make this shift looking horrible for everyone when consumers seem happy about it.

It's also a problem of people here venerating Hollywood's big names, leading to giving a bigger voice to stardom over consumers.

When it comes to this kind of decision these celebrities aren't necessarily your friends, they're in for themselves even if means screwing their fans.

Edited by Fullbuster

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

The problem is that the conversation is very one-sided here, it's all about what will be lost with streaming and not about what will be gained.

Streaming is likely to bring a lot from a creative standpoint with lower budget movies taking more risks, shows about some big IPs like Star Wars allowing to deepen the lore more than ever before..etc..And let's not even talk about comfort and price compared to theaters.

I know, it's a forum for movie enthusiasts with a longstanding passion for the theater experience, I understand being anxious or mad...it's jsut that it's disingenuous to make this shift looking horrible for everyone when consumers seem happy about it.

It's also a problem of people here venerating Hollywood's big names, leading to giving a bigger voice to stardom over consumers.

When it comes to this kind of decision these celebrities aren't necessarily your friends, they're in for themselves even if even means screwing their fans.

My point wasn't that is will necessarily be terrible, but that the outcomes for various different factors are fairly unpredictable. If you thought Hollywood was "corporate" before, things are about to get way, way more "corporate". At least, I would assume. Like I said, no telling where this will lead.