Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Clint Eastwood is also beyond geriatric and Sully which was his last real hit was 6 years ago now. 

The Mule did great in 2018 for an adult drama with so-so reviews and no awards buzz (in part because, unlike Cry Macho, it actually felt like a proper "one last ride" vehicle for an undeniable screen legend).

• Like 2

If they’re keeping budgets for movies for straight to streaming at 35m I think it’s a great idea, we’ve seen what making red notice has done for Netflix, absolutely nothing but waste 200m dollars. But if he’s gonna be tight on shows then that’s gonna be a huge problem for hbo. They’ve always been known for quality, and that’s not cheap. 

I’m very curious to see what happens to JLD series and GL series for max. It seems like he wants to tie more into max from the movies. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

If they’re keeping budgets for movies for straight to streaming at 35m I think it’s a great idea, we’ve seen what making red notice has done for Netflix, absolutely nothing but waste 200m dollars. But if he’s gonna be tight on shows then that’s gonna be a huge problem for hbo. They’ve always been known for quality, and that’s not cheap. 

I’m very curious to see what happens to JLD series and GL series for max. It seems like he wants to tie more into max from the movies. 

In other words, do what Feige has done, very sucessfully, with the Disney + Marvel shows.

But once again, what looks good on paper is often hard to do in the real world. And DC attempts t Emulate the MCU have not exactly been a huge sucess.

But I agree keeping the budgets for streaming product under control is a good idea. 

33 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

WB was always the outlier in that they tended to have strong director relationships and would give them a lot more free reign than other studios but that doesn't seem like it'll be the case anymore sadly.  That Eastwood comment is troubling if that's how they're gonna view all their long term collaborators. 

Like anything, consider that the quote might not be entirely in context.  

Warner Bros. is going to still support their directors and let them take chances (getting Nolan back is on the top of the new management of WB's list), but the point in this case is that Cry Macho directed by and staring Clint never had a shot.  The Mule, Richard Jewell and others did.  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:20 AM, Eric Crawley said:

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

These two news items back to back are interesting, Disney to get where it was in the 2010s scaled back releases and made sure every release got a big push, similar to Warner in the 2000s funnily enough (Alan Horn at work) Wonder how they are going to market/date all of these without stepping on each others toes let alone the competition from the other studios. Feels like the problem Netflix runs into with having too much volume, yes it means you have something for nearly everyone but it detracts from other films/tv particular if audiences overlap. 

I would have thought New Line would be getting a big increase (and I guess they still could) but it seems like lower budget is mainly going to fill straight to streaming so that may be too much of a ramp up for New Line thus I think it is possible they plan to increase the output of the brands (DC, Animation etc) 

I think it is clear it is going to be harder to get a green light at Warners then it has in the past.

Which might not in terms of business be a bad thing.

I think 75 Million of a kid oreinted movie for a streaming channel was way too much for example.

In the end, Zaslev's first reponsilbity is not to filmakers, and certainly not to fans, but to the Warners stockholders, SOrry, but that is the way it works in the real world.

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

These two news items back to back are interesting, Disney to get where it was in the 2010s scaled back releases and made sure every release got a big push, similar to Warner in the 2000s funnily enough (Alan Horn at work) Wonder how they are going to market/date all of these without stepping on each others toes let alone the competition from the other studios. Feels like the problem Netflix runs into with having too much volume, yes it means you have something for nearly everyone but it detracts from other films/tv particular if audiences overlap. 

I would have thought New Line would be getting a big increase (and I guess they still could) but it seems like lower budget is mainly going to fill straight to streaming so that may be too much of a ramp up for New Line thus I think it is possible they plan to increase the output of the brands (DC, Animation etc) 

Well, the report to a film boss sort of makes it different then the way Disney is organized, since the film divisions report directly to the Disney ECO, and don't have to go through a "film boss', It's another layer of managment, and sort of goes agains the idea of indeplendent units.

I think he has the right idea if he wants to keep budgets of direct to streaming movies under control. but not sure I agree with 25 movies an year. Until they have the right set of folks to vet scripts/directors etc, its better to start smaller. Then increase the number of movies across genres. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, belblazer said:

After the reason why he canceled Wonder Twins, no way Batgirl will stay on Max. He better not cancel Black Canary and Green Lantern.

If anything both would just get a theatrical release instead of being straight to max. It seems like he really wants to focus on DC, so I would just assume he wants to tie in off movies first rather then start something new on Max. I’m not against this thinking as long as he isn’t cheap. Gunn is coming back for Peacemaker season two and producing on that other project with Waller so I would assume both series would have a decent budget. Hopefully those aren’t axed lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

5 DC theatricals per year, gotta get the jump on the competition.

In all seriousness wasn’t the pre-acquisition plan something like 4 theater and 2 Max per year? None of the max oriented ones are gonna meet that budget threshold for pure streaming plays, so if half die and half are shunted to theaters… 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by DS2HaterLegion Confirmed

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think he has the right idea if he wants to keep budgets of direct to streaming movies under control. but not sure I agree with 25 movies an year. Until they have the right set of folks to vet scripts/directors etc, its better to start smaller. Then increase the number of movies across genres. 

Real problem with is you are going to have  your own movies competiting with each other, with that tight a release schedule.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belblazer said:

After the reason why he canceled Wonder Twins, no way Batgirl will stay on Max. He better not cancel Black Canary and Green Lantern.

Isn't Green Lantern (if it's still happening) supposed to be a show?

Axing The Wonder Twins was the right thing to do because with all due respect, there are DC characters who are higher on the list with more potential in terms of becoming successful. 

HBO is unlikely to be touched because they've proven themselves to be successful for decades, that's not something you want to mess with. 

14 hours ago, Potiki said:

New Line I imagine will stick to what they've doing previously with its mix of low budget and the odd high budget projects. 

• Like 1