Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

On 5/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, Eric Crawley said:

The animation blurb reeks of those Netflix division layoffs. I'm assuming it won't be as bad, but it still feels like it will lead to the usual bad stuff.

Tbf WAG has gone downhill since the creative brain trust left of Lord/Miller, Stoller and the Eat Pray Love directors.

• Like 1

I think the annocement of the Harry Potter/Wizarding World series for HBO/MAX  pretty much nails the lid on the coffin of the Fantastic Beast threatrical films. and Warners wil go in another direction for the TV series. FB is pretty much done for the time being,

I suspect a hiatus for the WW theatrical films in general while they figure out what to do and the TV sereis will keep the franchise alive.

I also suspect that  there will be harder look at which DC projects are done. The killing of Wonder Twins shows that.

Edited by dudalb

Bad Robot’s rich overall deal with Warner Bros. Discovery is currently not in jeopardy though the lack of output has created a larger discussion about what the newly merged company expects to stem from the pact. Zaslav, sources say, was frustrated with the lack of delivery from the deal that was signed back in September 2019 after Abrams and Bad Robot met with suitors including Apple as they shopped for a rich new pact.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/demimonde-on-the-bubble-as-warner-bros-discovery-puts-pressure-on-j-j-abrams-1235153965/

Zaslav is cleaning house.  I like it.  It's probably what the company needs, and of course Abrams has his hands in too many things!  And too many of them aren't getting made, so development costs are going nowhere!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Bad Robot’s rich overall deal with Warner Bros. Discovery is currently not in jeopardy though the lack of output has created a larger discussion about what the newly merged company expects to stem from the pact. Zaslav, sources say, was frustrated with the lack of delivery from the deal that was signed back in September 2019 after Abrams and Bad Robot met with suitors including Apple as they shopped for a rich new pact.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/demimonde-on-the-bubble-as-warner-bros-discovery-puts-pressure-on-j-j-abrams-1235153965/

I don't blame Warners for putting the pressure on Abrams. Abrams signed a contract and has not fufilled what he was obligated to do. No company is going to put up with that....nor ahould they.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Zas wants results and accountability. Which is good because WB has been massively fucking up for over a decade. 

I agree. I suspect some people will scream how mean old Zaslev is screwing over poor J.j. Abrams, but Abrams signed a deal and has not lived up to what he is legally obligated to deliver.Zaslev has every right to put pressure on Abrams, and, if that fails, to take him to court for breaking his contract.

The film industy,,and every business...is based on the idea that if a contract is made, it must be fulfilled or there will be bad consequences for the people who broke it. Business 101 stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

WB shocked about JJs output after he screwed over Paramount by working for Disney the last few years 

Abrams seems to think he can ignore contracts he signed at will. He is about to learn differently.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, Abrams just announced he's making a live-action Speed Racer show with WB TV...that'll be on Apple TV+, not HBO Max.

‘Speed Racer’ Live-Action TV Series From Bad Robot Ordered By Apple TV+ – Deadline

Guessing they decided to hand it over to someone else to be the fall guy in the event this property bombs again.

Not so funny -- this "news" was clearly pushed out there at the behest of Abrams to counteract the Hollywood Reporter piece on Zaslav/Warner Bros./Abrams.  Perception is everything.  He obviously wanted to get the word out: "See, I DID sell something, and it's getting made!" 

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Not so funny -- this "news" was clearly pushed out there at the behest of Abrams to counteract the Hollywood Reporter piece on Zaslav/Warner Bros./Abrams.  Perception is everything.  He obviously wanted to get the word out: "See, I DID sell something, and it's getting made!" 

I was genuinely thinking about Abrams and WB yesterday, but more in terms of a Superman movie. Handing a Superman movie to Abrams is such a non-brainer I am surprised it didn't happen yet, and then i realized none of Abrams's projects in his WB deal have actually started production yet. 

Wonder what is the behind the scenes holdup on them?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Zaslav is a fucking terminator. I like him.

The fact all of this is coming right after a year in which they wrote off an entire slate of theatrical movies beforehand (and resulted in a following year in which they'll be putting out 8 movies in theaters in total) is a true "what a time to be following industry news" moment.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I was genuinely thinking about Abrams and WB yesterday, but more in terms of a Superman movie. Handing a Superman movie to Abrams is such a non-brainer I am surprised it didn't happen yet, and then i realized none of Abrams's projects in his WB deal have actually started production yet. 

Wonder what is the behind the scenes holdup on them?

Abrams being more interested in other projects, I suspect. Like getting a new Star Trek movie going at Paramount.

He simply over extended himself and Bad Robot. It's a small production company that took on more projects then it could handle. Now he  is facing a world of legal hurt.

I suspect he will have to put any new projects on hold while he actually delivers the shows he is contractually obligated to deliver at Warners.

I suspect that Warners is having second thoughs about letting Abrams to a big budget Superman project, since he has been so irresponsible with his TV shows.

Edited by dudalb

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Zaslav is a fucking terminator. I like him.

He is simply doing what in most businesses would be called "Due Dilligence"..something often lacking in the film industry.

In most businesses going after somebody who has flagranetly violated the terms of his contract the way Abrams has done is normal business procedure. In Hollywood, it makes big news.

I find it amazing that people like JJ Abrams sign first look deal then not have anything in production for over three years. 

I imagine Zaslav's priority is likely getting Christopher Nolan back into the WB fold and maybe securing some big name projects like Tarantino's likely final film.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1