Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

4 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Waiting for the obligatory 'I was down with Villeneuve before it became cool' post.

I think Enemy is by far his best movie and it's the one the least number of people have seen (not counting his pre-breakout stuff). :sadben:

• Like 2

The actual story of the first Blade Runner and the character of Deckard have always left me completely cold. For me its impact is entirely in the visuals/music/overall atmosphere (where it's practically unmatched), and Rutger Hauer's final speech. But it's not a movie I love. Which is actually good for BR2049 because I don't have any through-the-roof expectations other than for Deakins' work. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

The actual story of the first Blade Runner and the character of Deckard have always left me completely cold. For me its impact is entirely in the visuals/music/overall atmosphere (where it's practically unmatched), and Rutger Hauer's final speech. But it's not a movie I love. Which is actually good for BR2049 because I don't have any through-the-roof expectations other than for Deakins' work. 

Exact same for me, do not care much about the story and the movie, but the concept is nice and world too, so to have a sequel set in that world and concept is pretty much just a positive, nothing to spoil about the first one.

• Like 1

i love sicario but everything else while good has been a little underwhelming to me. it was interesting to hear in an interview he did around the time of that Oscar shit that Villeneuve intentionally picks scripts that are somewhat lacking, wants atmosphere to be the most important thing. seems like blade runner (FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD) is the perfect fit for that sensibility.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Spoilers for the first movie:

Yeah, it left me very confused when I first saw it as a teenager. Then again, I was expecting a Harrison Ford action/thriller, not some meditative and dreamlike exploration of what it means to be human. So obviously it took me awhile to reach my current attitude about it. Part of this, I think, is that the plot is sort of a misdirect: it's setting up this relatively standard futuristic cop thriller but thematically the main characters are the hunted androids -- who're only supporting characters in the main narrative. A lot of stuff that plays out as just mood stuff gets clearer on future viewings. But at the core Deckard is fundamentally not a likeable character through almost all the movie. He's glum, dour, and kind of appalling at times. 

But I also understand if someone just doesn't like or care about this.

• Like 8

Seeing as Blade Runner has multiple versions (seven according to wikipedia), including theatrical release versions for the US vs internationally (in '82), "The Director's Cut" (in '92), and "The Final Cut" (in '07), which one should be watched? Is "The Final Cut" considered the definitive version according to fans? Is this the version fans are referring to when they cite it as one of the best films of all time? Do we even bother with the previous versions? Is the original theatrical version considered a mess to this day? Etc.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Seeing as Blade Runner has multiple versions (seven according to wikipedia), including theatrical release versions for the US vs internationally (in '82), "The Director's Cut" (in '92), and "The Final Cut" (in '07), which one should be watched? Is "The Final Cut" considered the definitive version according to fans? Is this the version fans are referring to when they cite it as one of the best films of all time? Do we even bother with the previous versions? Is the original theatrical version considered a mess to this day? Etc.

Peace,

Mike

Final Cut is Scott's definitive and preferred version.

• Like 1