Gopher

Weekend Numbers (starts pg19) Taken2 22.5, Argo 20.2 mill

A+ CS indicates at least 5+ multiplier for Argo kind of movie.Given its Oscar winnings, it can make another 50M or so post Academy ceremony.

It's not going to make $50m post ceremony having been released in October. The Departed, a BP winner, only managed $10m post-nominations. And 5+ miltiplier is never, ever a lock for widely-appealing fall dramas no matter how much the audiences loved them. The Social Network, The Town, Moneyball never came close to that. Even The Departed, with its incredible legs, fell short in the end. A 4+ multiplier is very likely for Argo, but at this point, that's it.
  • Like 2

It's not going to make $50m post ceremony having been released in October. The Departed, a BP winner, only managed $10m post-nominations. And 5+ miltiplier is never, ever a lock for widely-appealing fall dramas no matter how much the audiences loved them. The Social Network, The Town, Moneyball never came close to that. Even The Departed, with its incredible legs, fell short in the end. A 4+ multiplier is very likely for Argo, but at this point, that's it.

i agree... if it manages to get 100 mill from a 20-22 mill weekend it incredible...A 3 multiplier seems locked

Here’s the Top Ten based on Friday estimates. Fuller analysis coming:

1. Taken 2 (Fox) Week 2 [3,706 Runs] PG13

Friday $7.1M (-63%), Weekend $23.1M, Cume $87.5M

2. Argo (Warner Bros) NEW [3,232 Runs] R

Friday $6.5M, Weekend $18.0M

3. Sinister (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [2,527 Runs] R

Friday $6.5M, Weekend $16.0M

4. Hotel Transylvania (Sony Animation) Week 3 [3,375 Runs] PG

Friday $4.0M, Weekend $17.2M, Cume $102.0M

5. Here Comes The Boom (Sony) NEW [3,014 Runs] PG

Friday $3.3M, Weekend $11.2M

6. Pitch Perfect (Universal) Week 3 [2,787 Runs] PG13

Friday $2.9M, Weekend $8.8M, Cume $35.2M

7. Looper (FilmDistrict/Sony) Week 3 [2,605 Runs] R

Friday $1.9M, Weekend $6.2M, Cume $51.3M

8. Frankenweenie (Disney) Week 2 [3,005 Runs] PG

Friday $1.8M, Weekend $6.6M, Cume $21.7M

9. Seven Psychopaths (CBS Films) NEW [1,480 Runs] R

Friday $1.2M, Weekend $3.5M

10. Atlas Shrugged Part 2 (Atlas) NEW [1,012 Runs] PG13

Friday $650K, Weekend $1.7M

Argo will end up with 19m after all this different estimates slow down. And that's also great for a movie with A+ CS. It will have no problem matching TT's total gross. For Taken 2 it's usual business.

But did any of those get an A+??I was critical of people calling it wonderful for the Avengers scoring an A+ earlier this summer because it had a humongous $200m OW, but look at that, it pulled off a 3x. Argo, opening smaller, even smaller than the $8m (wish I didn't see those earlier numbers, now I'm a little disappointed) means it has a greater chance of pulling out a larger multiplier, plus, it's an adult movie so its legs should be longer anyway as WOM spreads slower.
  • Like 1

That's atrocious for Seven Psychopaths.

I think, completely expected though. Look at the distributor and the type of movie. It's never done that well, the death knell was the theatre count. Should've expanded a la In Bruges.

I really hope Argo has a good run. It is a fantastic movie the best I have seen this year and 1 of the best I have ever seen. I simply love this movie. 6.5mill on Friday sucks but hopefully it has a good run.

Edited by Halloween baumer
  • Like 1