Saving Private Ryan

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Saving Private Ryan

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Very effective film showing the horrors of war for the most part. I hate the fact that it basically turns into a simple good vs. evil conflict with that final battle. Also the bookends of the film are err, bad. Great performances from Tom Hanks, Matt Damon and Daniel Faraday though.

A tremendous modern war film. It gets overly sentimental in the final minutes though at the same time I like that it doesn't come out and say that "saving private ryan" was definitely 100% worth the deaths of 6 squad-members who might have lived otherwise.

• Like 1

I like my war movies, and this has to be one of the very best (Full Metal Jacket is my number one) Yes, the opening scene is one of the greatest action scenes of all time, but you have to sit back and look at the characters, all of them. They were all excellently written and portrayed by excellent actors. Personally, while Tom Hanks is awesome as all ways, I loved Tom Sizemore's Horvath!

• Like 1

The first time I watched this, I didn't like it at all. However, on repeat viewings, the film really resonates with me. Is it too long? Absolutely. But there are scenes made of nothing but utter genius. I have to say that it has one of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen and that was when the soldiers were talking about their mothers. I found that absolutely heartbreaking and the most effective scene in the film.

A

• Like 1

My uncle refuses to see this movie due to the opening scenes since he is a veteran. He knows it is too real and knows it may affect him. I would say that is an endorsement of how well made this movie is.

Great performances by everyone. The title also really applies to both parts of the story.

Great message at the end as well.

A

• Like 2

Amazing movie. I just finished seeing it for the first time and I've got to say I made a big mistake not watching it earlier. The only thing that somehow didn't work for me is the thing that at the end it tried to create an emotional scene, but it didn't work for me because I simply didn't know Miller or Ryan too well... Everything we knew about Ryan is that he wanted to stay on the battlefield instead of going home, and that's simply not enough to make me tear up for him at the end (or for Miller as a matter of fact).

It was amazing in every single part, expect for character in my opinion.

• Founder / Operator

I can't really say anything about this movie that plenty of people haven't already in the last 15 years (woah, that long?!). Excluding Lincoln--which ranks very closely for me--this is my favorite Spielberg movie since Last Crusade.

• Like 2

I, like many young people had a grandfather that was in the war. I know he faced death many times but I don't know how many times or any of the details of his ordeal in WWII. He wouldn't ever talk about them, not even to my mother or her sister. Sometimes I could never understand that, but now I do. If this is really what it was like to be a soldier, no matter what war you are fighting, then it must be an incredibly difficult ordeal to drudge up memories that are this disturbing, this vivid and this real. I have never been to war and I hope that I never have to experience war, but after seeing this movie I believe I can tell you at least what it may have been like. This movie is that vivid and that honest.The first half an hour of this film is some of the most amazing direction I have seen in any film in my entire life. I have even read that Spielberg toned it down some. That is hard to believe knowing what is up there on screen.This film is brilliant in every capacity. The direction is so clear and crisp that you feel like you know these men when the film is over. You feel like you understand the war a little better than you did before. The acting is terrific. And not just Hanks and Damon, but everyone from Sizemore to Ribisi to the grunt that gets his guts blown out ( take your pick as to who that is. )I can't believe a film like Shakespeare in Love, a film that could have been an after school special, was chosen as best picture. Best picture? Over this? How is that possible? If you haven't seen this ( and there aren't many of you out there ) please do yourself a favour, see it tonight. It is such an amazing film and it is one that I will never forget.A final note: Even though my grandfather has been gone for about 20 years now, I salute him and every other guy that put it on the line and did so because they believed in what they were doing. I have a new understanding and appreciation for people like my grandfather. And that a film could make me feel that way is something special in itself. As a Canadian, I'd recommend watching this and Passchendaele, Paul Gross's incredible film about Canadians in WWI. While Ryan has the bigger budget, both films taught me a lot about war and the horrors of it.9.5/10

Edited by baumer
  • Like 4

I, like many young people had a grandfather that was in the war. I know he faced death many times but I don't know how many times or any of the details of his ordeal in WWII. He wouldn't ever talk about them, not even to my mother or her sister. Sometimes I could never understand that, but now I do. If this is really what it was like to be a soldier, no matter what war you are fighting, then it must be an incredibly difficult ordeal to drudge up memories that are this disturbing, this vivid and this real. I have never been to war and I hope that I never have to experience war, but after seeing this movie I believe I can tell you at least what it may have been like. This movie is that vivid and that honest.The first half an hour of this film is some of the most amazing direction I have seen in any film in my entire life. I have even read that Spielberg toned it down some. That is hard to believe knowing what is up there on screen.This film is brilliant in every capacity. The direction is so clear and crisp that you feel like you know these men when the film is over. You feel like you understand the war a little better than you did before. The acting is terrific. And not just Hanks and Damon, but everyone from Sizemore to Ribisi to the grunt that gets his guts blown out ( take your pick as to who that is. )I can't believe a film like Shakespeare in Love, a film that could have been an after school special, was chosen as best picture. Best picture? Over this? How is that possible? If you haven't seen this ( and there aren't many of you out there ) please do yourself a favour, see it tonight. It is such an amazing film and it is one that I will never forget.A final note: Even though my grandfather has been gone for about 20 years now, I salute him and every other guy that put it on the line and did so because they believed in what they were doing. I have a new understanding and appreciation for people like my grandfather. And that a film could make me feel that way is something special in itself. As a Canadian, I'd recommend watching this and Passchendaele, Paul Gross's incredible film about Canadians in WWI. While Ryan has the bigger budget, both films taught me a lot about war and the horrors of it.9.5/10

Don;t know how true it is, but people say it has something to do with Harvey Weinstein, and how he tends to rig the oscars in his favor. Either way you look at it, his stamp on the oscars is defnintely eyebrow raising.