A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

So, if Aquaman beats Venom tomorrow, does that mean that Aquaman will beat Venom dallies from tomorrow onwards (instead of from Wednesday like you previously predicted)?

The WoM wave that caused the 66% bump today and apparently a tight hold tomorrow should spillover into monday with another tight hold keeping it ahead and the dailies should remain ahead going forward.

Sticking with $275-300m

Pro Boxoffice is forecasting $223m for domestic.  With a good reception and the christmas holiday it could head toward 300 as well.  Should be a decent race

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, POTUS said:

The WoM wave that caused the 66% bump today and apparently a tight hold tomorrow should spillover into monday with another tight hold keeping it ahead and the dailies should remain ahead going forward.

Sticking with $275-300m

Pro Boxoffice is forecasting $223m for domestic.  With a good reception and the christmas holiday it could head toward 300 as well.  Should be a decent race

Pro Boxoffice prediction is a joke .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

Pro Boxoffice prediction is a joke .

My domestic prediction for Aquaman is in the 300mil range. If it's entertaining enough and gets okay reviews I think it could do 350mil. I can't tell the future though so who knows if I am over predicting it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

AntMan2 and :Venom: broke the previous record for solo superhero, both this year.

First sunday:

AM2: 139M

Venom: 224M

Aquaman currently at 83M, it could end very close to Venom!

Its opening weekend?

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1.5 months back when Chinese Authorities was deciding which Big Hollywood Tentpole can enter the Dec period, they wanted Alita but it was delayed. Then, between Aquaman and BumbleBee, they chose the former because they felt that it was less threat to local films in Dec. As DC is supposedly way less popular than the Transformers franchise in China.

Little did they know that now Aquaman will break out like that, and will probably earn more than BumbleBee.

Anyway - I know every1 here is excited about the numbers. The numbers are important, no doubt. But the reasons behind those numbers are captivating as well. Do take some time to go on Weibo(use a translating app if you need to), just search "DC" or go on Baidu's Boxoffice Tieba - you will be amazed at how many Chinese audiences are showing their ticket stubs and saying that they have now turned from a mere G.A to a DC fan. The WoM and continual audience reactions from what I am seeing is really pretty amazing.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

1.5 months back when Chinese Authorities was deciding which Big Hollywood Tentpole can enter the Dec period, they wanted Alita but it was delayed. Then, between Aquaman and BumbleBee, they chose the former because they felt that it was less threat to local films in Dec. As DC is supposedly way less popular than the Transformers franchise in China.

Little did they know that now Aquaman will break out like that, and will probably earn more than BumbleBee.

Anyway - I know every1 here is excited about the numbers. The numbers are important, no doubt. But the reasons behind those numbers are captivating as well. Do take some time to go on Weibo(use a translating app if you need to), just search "DC" or go on Baidu's Boxoffice Tieba - you will be amazed at how many Chinese audiences are showing their ticket stubs and saying that they have now turned from a mere G.A to a DC fan. The WoM and continual audience reactions from what I am seeing is really pretty amazing.

Fascinating. DC needed a big breakout film in China and regardless of what one thinks of BvS it was far too grim to make that happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If WB makes future DC films in the way they makes AQM, DC will be a bigger brand than Marvel is in couple years, performing much better at CBO.

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Idk man maybe thats how the scheduling works.

Its over the last year I was hearing the opposite about how the concept and highlight reel showcased to Chinese Exhibitors had good impression on them so there were already signs of a breakout since 2017