A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

4 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Dunno if that bodes well or bad for Sony and Venom :kitschjob:

Marvel are good. MCU has good stories and characters. The problem is, MCU films talk too much, and have too many gags:wintf:. Venom and AQM are able to resonate better with Chinese audience (than MCU solos).

36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

<10% drop for Aquaman from yesterday?

Looks like it will make over 20m from 2-3pm, usually one of the biggest hours. and total 120m.  Averaging 17m thru 10pm and another 5m after takes it to 244m

If that holds and the 9.5 rating holds it has a shot IW

• Astonished 1

30 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Marvel are good. MCU has good stories and characters. The problem is, MCU films talk too much, and have too many gags:wintf:. Venom and AQM are able to resonate better with Chinese audience (than MCU solos).

After the final Avengers film (which is looking like the franchise peak), it seems the MCU will have to find a way to have a big breakout (>$200 million) in China again. It could be many years before we see another huge team-up movie in the MCU, and their upcoming solo films don't seem capable of hitting close to the same heights. Maybe Shang-Chi, but we will see...

That said, I think Aquaman may be an anomaly as far as DC films are concerned. Its fantasy environment with vibrant and colorful visuals and big CGI creature moments are very different from those of other DC superheroes. Wonder Woman is more mundane and bleak in its visuals, and Batman (whenever they reboot) seems to be similarly dark and gritty. DC will have great success with Aquaman sequels in China, but I don't know if their other films can find mass appeal in the same way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it hit the 100mil mark.

It would have to hit 258m today for $100m OW

Its at 136m at 4pm running at 17m an hour now. 

It needs 20m per hour average to get there.

Can it do 24m per hour from 6 to 8pm?

Its a reach

240s looking good though for a $97-98m OW, beating CA3 in yuan without fees and in dollars with a 10% currency disadvantage.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

After reading the comparisons to Avatar, I don't find Aquaman's breakout that surprising. It probably has some of the best visuals out of any blockbuster recently. Venom was more of a shock to me, as the film didn't exactly have the spectacle or massive scale seen in the top grossing Hollywood films in China.

I think both of them are shocks. 

If someone asked me months ago what would do better in China, I'd guess Venom because of it's bigger trailer views and the fact that it didn't have the controversial DCU attached to it.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

After reading the comparisons to Avatar, I don't find Aquaman's breakout that surprising. It probably has some of the best visuals out of any blockbuster recently. Venom was more of a shock to me, as the film didn't exactly have the spectacle or massive scale seen in the top grossing Hollywood films in China.

Couple of reasons:

1) Venom had A LOT of marketing in China.

2) Suicide Squad and Deadpool were not released in China so this is basically the first "anti-hero" character to be released.

3) First hollywood blockbuster to be released since MI:FO in August

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2