A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I have friend who actually working in the censorship department

I am not just hearing the internet hype

Few month ago is also me first post the thread that Minions 2 will return,you think why I know that before the offical report?

Yes, just want to add that while nothing is officially confirmed.

I am also seeing little signs on Chinese social media that seems to be hinting that A2 is indeed getting a release date, announcement is probably coming very soon, and the date seems to be pointing to Dec 15.

Cautiously optimistic.

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

I have friend who actually working in the censorship department

I am not just hearing the internet hype

Few month ago is also me first post the thread that Minions 2 will return,you think why I know that before the offical report?

This is such incredibly good news! Disney's future in China is starting to look brighter. If Marvel can also mend the relationship with the film bureau in the next phase then

On 11/16/2022 at 7:33 AM, LPLC said:

When a little over 3 weeks before the world release we still have no news, we're not going to lie to ourselves we all know that unfortunately A2 will never be released in China

IMHO XI is gradually moving to excluse Western Films from China'a theaters algother.

Dcitatorships suck. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Conan 2022 - ¥22.5M OD

Douban Score is highest among Series! With zero competition through out the run, it can easily reach ¥250M Finals

COMPs 

Conan 2021 - ¥69.9M (¥71.9M with Previews) / SAT OPENER / ¥216.09M Final

Conan 2019 - ¥73.9M (¥75.1M with Previews) / FRI OPENER / ¥231.99M Final

Conan 2018 - ¥25.9M (¥26.2M with Previews) / FRI OPENER / ¥127.37M Final

• Like 1

Guys I am don’t want to say that but something bad happen, a crazy sick anti-America patriot(who have huge influence) in China said he can’t stand that China allow Avatar came in,he might hearing some news that Avatar 2 will released in China ,so yesterday he announce that he already collect some fatal evidence which can let Avatar definiely can’t came in China…and he also said he will let Avatar die in China just like Marvel,I really Don’t know if this effect

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 2

12 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Guys I am don’t want to say that but something bad happen, a crazy sick anti-America patriot(who have huge influence) in China said he can’t stand that China allow Avatar came in,he might hearing some news that Avatar 2 will released in China ,so yesterday he announce that he already collect some fatal evidence which can let Avatar definiely can’t came in China…and he also said he will let Avatar die in China just like Marvel,I really Don’t know if this effect

I gotta say that folks doing their best to get movies they dontl ike banned in china and succeding is pretty funny

I am sure they will figure out a way to ban it. There is too much bad blood in US/China relationship and that is not going to change in the near future. 

For Avatar that is terrible as it has potential to make big money so that even 23% return will be non trivial. Otherwise China is not that big a deal. 100m gross is just 23m to bottom line. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure they will figure out a way to ban it. There is too much bad blood in US/China relationship and that is not going to change in the near future. 

For Avatar that is terrible as it has potential to make big money so that even 23% return will be non trivial. Otherwise China is not that big a deal. 100m gross is just 23m to bottom line. 

More than 23M, China numbers also gives PR boost to a film.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruce said:

1) Yep, there's a reason I'm not going to believe that Avatar 2 releases in China until I'm seated in the theater and the movie starts playing… with that said, one self-serving nationalist troll only has so much influence. (I scrolled very quickly through Weibo just now and didn't see much conversation condemning Avatar or suggesting that Avatar will be banned).

2) I think there's still cause for hope. Cameron & Co. have been playing their political cards really well; recall that they've been screening footage for government types, the movie's been specially mastered for China-created premium formats like CINITY, and Cameron's got a ton of goodwill from Titanic and Avatar.

3) China's been on a huge theater-building drive for years and unless something changes very soon, a great many theaters will go out of business. We've already seen some increased flexibility with zero-Covid to shore up the economy; China does care about its economic/business numbers. Every Chinese movie theater account I follow on WeChat has been posting Avatar content for months; they're counting on revenue from this thing. Plus, Avatar is a foreign movie that has to deal with whatever date the government gives it, unlike the big Chinese movies which have been fleeing Covid lockdowns for supposedly safer box office waters.

Basically, I'm still in wait-and-see mode. I could very easily see Avatar being denied permission to screen; I hope it still screens and think there's still a very convincing case that Avatar comes to China.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yeah for example a 500M gross gives you 125M, so more than UK, France and Japan even if you took 100% from them. The potential difference between those markets is truly incredible

11 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

One actual cause for hope is that the US/China relationship seems to be possibly on the mend… well, at least possibly en route to stabilizing. The Xi-Biden meeting is a hopeful sign; Xi traveling outside of China (without wearing a face mask) is perhaps a positive sign for China trying to aim in a less isolationist direction than the country's been heading in the past few years.

We'll see.

I found some news about the phenomenal event when Avatar 1 was released 2009 in China, which show how crazy people to watch Avatar during that time

don’t know if Avatar 2 will have same effect when the film released,we will see

1 in China,Movie theaters are even selling stand-up tickets(watch the film with out seat) for Avatar ticket due to demand When seated tickets are sold out 

2 In Shanghai,a 70-years-old lady set up a tent at the entrance of the theater in the middle of the night ,in order to buy an rare Avatar ticket for her son(because All tickets sold out,she have to snatch the next day’s ticket as early as she can),because the weather was too cold, she even wrapped herself in a quilt

3 In Guangdong, the manager of the movie theater knelt down to the audience to beg for forgiveness ,because the Avatar could not be screened on time the film was just burned out

4 in 2009 December,when people meet each other ,they will ask each other

“hey bro you buy the Avatar ticket?”

then get a reply

“no….I try my best to snatch the ticket but it’s too hard to find a threater which Avatar’s ticket still didn’t sold out…”

if you reply

”Yes I snatch the ticket tomorrow!”

then you will get the envy sight from your friend.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, porginchina said:

1) Yep, there's a reason I'm not going to believe that Avatar 2 releases in China until I'm seated in the theater and the movie starts playing… with that said, one self-serving nationalist troll only has so much influence. (I scrolled very quickly through Weibo just now and didn't see much conversation condemning Avatar or suggesting that Avatar will be banned).

2) I think there's still cause for hope. Cameron & Co. have been playing their political cards really well; recall that they've been screening footage for government types, the movie's been specially mastered for China-created premium formats like CINITY, and Cameron's got a ton of goodwill from Titanic and Avatar.

3) China's been on a huge theater-building drive for years and unless something changes very soon, a great many theaters will go out of business. We've already seen some increased flexibility with zero-Covid to shore up the economy; China does care about its economic/business numbers. Every Chinese movie theater account I follow on WeChat has been posting Avatar content for months; they're counting on revenue from this thing. Plus, Avatar is a foreign movie that has to deal with whatever date the government gives it, unlike the big Chinese movies which have been fleeing Covid lockdowns for supposedly safer box office waters.

Basically, I'm still in wait-and-see mode. I could very easily see Avatar being denied permission to screen; I hope it still screens and think there's still a very convincing case that Avatar comes to China.

For 3 wouldn't piracy be an issue? If it comes out in April or may ( warmer weather is a huge deterrent to corona viruses) 

7 hours ago, Bruce said:

I found some news about the phenomenal event when Avatar 1 was released 2009 in China, which show how crazy people to watch Avatar during that time

don’t know if Avatar 2 will have same effect when the film released,we will see

1 in China,Movie theaters are even selling stand-up tickets(watch the film with out seat) for Avatar ticket due to demand When seated tickets are sold out 

2 In Shanghai,a 70-years-old lady set up a tent at the entrance of the theater in the middle of the night ,in order to buy an rare Avatar ticket for her son(because All tickets sold out,she have to snatch the next day’s ticket as early as she can),because the weather was too cold, she even wrapped herself in a quilt

3 In Guangdong, the manager of the movie theater knelt down to the audience to beg for forgiveness ,because the Avatar could not be screened on time the film was just burned out

4 in 2009 December,when people meet each other ,they will ask each other

“hey bro you buy the Avatar ticket?”

then get a reply

“no….I try my best to snatch the ticket but it’s too hard to find a threater which Avatar’s ticket still didn’t sold out…”

if you reply

”Yes I snatch the ticket tomorrow!”

then you will get the envy sight from your friend.

The beauty of ubiquitous online ticketing platforms like Maoyan is that none of this should be an issue in 2022!

5 hours ago, Reddroast said:

For 3 wouldn't piracy be an issue? If it comes out in April or may ( warmer weather is a huge deterrent to corona viruses) 

Coming out in April or May would be a real surprise for Way of Water; from my understanding, current expectation is that it'll come out roughly day-and-date with the rest of the world. Plus, the big Chinese releases have been shifting back repeatedly, likely trying to flee to less coronavirus-impacted months; foreign movies like Avatar can be placed in theaters at times when Chinese movies would rather not screen.

Assuming that it did have a massively delayed release, while piracy would be an issue, Cameron's also likely created enough of a theatrical experience that the movie would still sell at least some tickets (remember that the 2021 rerelease of Avatar made ~$50 million in China off basically zero advance warning/marketing).

Lost In The Stars is going with 12/16 (likely to back off). Avatar 2 going with either WED/THURS previews with Traditional FRI OD but interesting will be a WED OD with Lost In The Stars moving out of schedule. (If things goes well for JC - not complaining at all)

For Avatar 2, China Film Group is participating at Distribution Sector - along with Huaxia Film Distribution and Changchun.

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Lost In The Stars is going with 12/16 (likely to back off). Avatar 2 going with either WED/THURS previews with Traditional FRI OD but interesting will be a WED OD with Lost In The Stars moving out of schedule. (If things goes well for JC - not complaining at all)

For Avatar 2, China Film Group is participating at Distribution Sector - along with Huaxia Film Distribution and Changchun.

So does this mean a release is confirmed for A2 or is there still some doubt?