A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Sunday’s PS is at 25m right now down about 32% from Saturday. No idea how much the drop will be since this is summer. Normally the drop for a SH movie would be in the 25-35% range on Sunday but this wont fall that much due to Summer. 

Its gonna need a drop of 5.6% or less to get to 70m. 

Or a drop of 14% or better to overtake SMH as highest solo SH OW in local currency. 

Or stay flat or increase to overtake SMH in dollar terms

Edited by ZeeSoh

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It would have needed to seriously overperform a LOT to get to JL gross. To the tune of maybe 160-170m. That would have been almost a 60-70% increase over the first one. 

Besides Ant Man’s success does not depend on matching JL and JL’s failure is not any less epic. 

Ant-Man 2 doesn't even need to cross $600M worldwide for it to become a success. What I'm illustrating is the utter failure of JL (full of A-list superheroes), grossing close to a film about a C-to-D-list superhero.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, UserHN said:

If this film overperforms in China, it will likely surpass the worldwide gross of JL. But I don't think it will happen now, with that Sat increase.

13 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It would have needed to seriously overperform a LOT to get to JL gross. To the tune of maybe 160-170m. That would have been almost a 60-70% increase over the first one. 

Besides Ant Man’s success does not depend on matching JL and JL’s failure is not any less epic. 

Doesn’t look like it’s “overperforming” in China. 

Same as domestic for this film, no overperformance.

20 minutes ago, POTUS said:

It has twice as many shows as AM1.  Demand burn happening. Will probably have 20% weekday drops

Most likely 17-20% drops eventhough WOM is good

2* multiplier seems in serious danger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Doesn’t look like it’s “overperforming” in China. 

Same as domestic for this film, no overperformance.

I know, which is exactly what I said. 

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's good to see Ant-Man doing well in China but I wonder how it will hold up with MI6 premiering soon.

It will lose a huge number of show counts to MI6 and fall hard on its second weekend as all movies tend to do in China when another huge opener opens

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I know, which is exactly what I said. 

It will lose a huge number of show counts to MI6 and fall hard on its second weekend as all movies tend to do in China when another huge opener opens

What's the latest OW update for Ant-Man2?

27 minutes ago, UserHN said:

What's the latest OW update for Ant-Man2?

Looking at a 12-13% drop on Sunday. 68-69m USD OW. 

Biggest OW for a solo SH movie in local currency but not in USD (thanks to the ER). 

Also about 70% bigger OW than Ant Man 1. But due to the increasingly front loaded nature of Chinese BO market, its final gross wont be that much bigger than the first one