A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

58 minutes ago, IRon Man 1 said:

8.8 score, no competiton and 100m+ ow expectation turns into smth like 88/145 with 1.65x legs, isn't it disappointing?

will still be the 3rd biggest solo SH in China behind AQM and Venom.

6th biggest including non-solo SHs in TA3, CW, TA2.

pre-sales threw folks off. else it's a great performance imo.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Been tracking how CM is doing in China and noticed something and I wanted an opinion.

https://piaofang.maoyan.com/dashboard

CM's percentage of the box office has been steadily falling over the last few hours from above 64 (where it has been all weekend) to now 58.8.  It is falling at about .3 percent every twenty minutes.  Is this the normal/expected pattern?

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

China has never given MCU its dues. I was prepared for a Black Panther.

Its dues?!?

Why MCU movies should all do tremendous business?

Chinese audience has better taste than North American, they embrace a bigger

diversity of movies

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sgrave said:

Chinese audience has better taste than North American, they embrace a bigger diversity of movies

As of this moment, I think the narrative that Chinese film goers have terrible taste is definitely gone. It's debatable whether they have better taste, but there's no doubt that WOM plays an increasingly strong role in Chinese box office, which makes the market vastly more interesting than the Domestic market, where an original or near original film basically has a 200M cap, and the biggest box office hits are all from extremely predictable and increasingly less diverse franchises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

China will be the only market where both Dunkirk and Green book out-gross The Last Jedi, I think that's a sign of good taste, despite the fact that I'm not too hot on either of those movies. 

Dunkirk would have outgrossed The Last Jedi at various places. India it did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

As of this moment, I think the narrative that Chinese film goers have terrible taste is definitely gone. It's debatable whether they have better taste, but there's no doubt that WOM plays an increasingly strong role in Chinese box office, which makes the market vastly more interesting than the Domestic market, where an original or near original film basically has a 200M cap, and the biggest box office hits are all from extremely predictable and increasingly less diverse franchises.

also helps that China's population 4x times that of the US, yet the US still hold the record for highest grossing movie in a single market :thinking:

Edited by RealLyre
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, IRon Man 1 said:

8.8 score, no competiton and 100m+ ow expectation turns into smth like 88/145 with 1.65x legs, isn't it disappointing?

One reason might be inflated per 1/2 day of for all women at Friday / IWD = not all were aware about that.

Ppl too often miss or dismiss local events or situations, sometimes has bigger impact, somtimes only a bit,.....

Like in a few weeks, US think GoT series finale might have impact on OW of other movie. We will see

23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

also helps that China's population 4x times that of the US, yet the US still hold the record for highest grossing movie in a single market :thinking:

DOM =/= US.

DOM=US+Canada.

Wolf Warrior 2 made more in China than TFA made in US.

On a sidenote, Indian movie Bahubali 2 sold more tickets in India than TFA did in US.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Transformers, Warcraft, Fast and Furious, xXx, ahem.

Coco, Zootopia, Life of Pi, Interstellar, Green Book (yes that forgotten film in these forums because of the Marvel craziness which is making simlilar business in China than in USA)... Stop with that shit. And remember that all those "great" films that you mention are made in USA, not in China. It seems that China is the only responsible that those films are made and the only one who see those films: the 3 first TF films did over $300m in USA.

I have not seen CM yet, but I read Spanish forums and many people says it is the worst film of the whole MCU. Maybe it is not a problem of Chinese people, but everywhere... Maybe some fanatics shoule be ready for some shitty legs everywhere, not just in China. Maybe Marvel has a problem with the quality of its products and not certain key markets with their tastes...

Edited by peludo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

Coco, Zootopia, Life of Pi, Interstellar, Green Book (yes that forgotten film in these forums because the Marvel craziness which is making simlilar business in China than in USA)... Stop with that shit. And remember that all those "great" that you mention are made in USA, not in China. It seems that China is the only responsible that those films are made and the only one who see those films: the 3 first TF films did over $300m in USA.

I have not seen CM yet, but I read Spanish forums and many people says it is the worst film of the whole MCU. Maybe it is not a problem of Chinese people, but everywhere...

most people liked the movie and you can confirm that by looking at social media and also bc they didnt like it in 1 forum that doesnt mean anythin no i am not saying that everybody like it but the majority from the reaction to the movie that i have see so far and they are lot really liked the movie and maybe you should do a real research about the movie bc reactions will not agree with thats not to say that the legs will be good everywhere no ,but to assume without the facts based from 1 or 2 forums and china ow which is not unusual for that market its not a clever way to think,you maybe will be right and i be wrong but the reception to the movie is good it could have a civil war like run but its too early to tell and if their quality was shit and had problems then why they produced hit after hit after hit

Edited by john2000
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, peludo said:

I have not seen CM yet, but I read Spanish forums and many people says it is the worst film of the whole MC

av rating IMDb male user 6.8, with lots of ppl claiming at soc media being part of review bomb for non-film reasons, females av rating 8.0

Read up on why so many wanna-be men are bad-mouthing it.

Edited by terrestrial

19 minutes ago, john2000 said:

most people liked the movie and you can confirm that by looking at social media and also bc they didnt like it in 1 forum that doesnt mean anythin no i am not saying that everybody like it but the majority from the reaction to the movie that i have see so far and they are lot really liked the movie

People who dislike the film in that forum used to like the other MCU films. Of course it is just some opinions. But if you add the probable Chinese collapse, there is maybe a trend... (I insist that I have not seen the film. I can not give an opinion about it)

Edited by peludo

Just now, peludo said:

People who dislike the film in that forum used to like the other MCU films. Of course it is just some opinions. But if you add the probable Chinese collapse, there is maybe a trend, mainly if some people were thinking in gigantic OS numbers... (I insist that I have not seen the film. I can not give an opinion about it)

opinion are opinion and  idont disagree with them i am just saying you cant judge the receptions from some forums and neither can i,also china will still hit a pretty good number foir superhero movie it collapses yes but we have see that before when your reception about 8 is mixed there but for the rest of the world is good very good then its very hard to please the most superhero movies are frontloaded and have mixed reaction there is not a suprised but i agree lets wait and see