38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Lincoln is a project years in the making, and the final product is worth the wait. Despite a lack of big flourishes compared with his most recent work, this is Steven Spielberg's best movie since Munich. Perhaps it's no coincidence that this film also reunites Spielberg with his Munich screenwriter Tony Kushner, whose script here is a masterful one that focuses almost entirely on just one month of its subject's life, yet still captures the scope of the situation at the time. Even with dialogue comprising most of the 149-minute running time, the power of the script and the acting is so immediate that it always feels as if a great deal is at stake - which it should, given all that was hanging in the balance as the vote on the 13th Amendment drew near. Given the quality of the script and the credentials of the cast assembled, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that this is also one of the best acted movies of the year to date. As Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis turns in another excellent performance. As usual with Day-Lewis, it looks and sounds as if he is inhabiting the character, and he is intensely compelling to watch even though the performance is much quieter and less showy than his two other acclaimed roles from the past decade. Whether he wins a third Oscar for his work remains to be seen, but accolades will not be undeserving. Tommy Lee Jones also knocks some scenes out of the park, while Sally Field brings enough raw emotion to her part to make the character pop as more than a wife in the background, and the rest of the ridiculously talented class slips well into their relatively smaller roles. Taking on a subject with as many points of interest as Lincoln's presidency was always going to be a challenge, but the filmmakers have succeeded in cutting out a slice that serves not only as an apt encapsulation of that period, but also as an exceptionally riveting drama. This is one of the year's best movies.

A

Terrific performances and general craftsmanship, however... I thought the film would have been a more complex examination of Lincoln's legacy, and was disappointed that the film reinforced the mythology (interestingly enough, they acknowleged Mary Todd Lincoln's mental health problems though) surrounding him rather than trying something a bit different from the norm. It was supposed to be a Spielbergian epic, so I should have realized that it would do that, as including the various nuances of the period takes out the excitement. I felt emotionally disconnected, but nonetheless, the craftsmanship of the film is impeccable. 8/10

Lincoln12PMAbout 30% full (Theater was full for Hobbit I noticed)Trailers:The ImpossibleAmourGangster SquadZero Dark ThirtyLone Ranger (Laughs and talking)Oz (Talking)Movie: Really well made. No way Lewis loses this Oscar. Jones was great as was Field as crazy Mrs. Lincoln. The movie is not for younger audiences as it is difficult to follow I think for them. The sets and costumes were great and the score was not that bad either. The makeup did a great job. The dialouge was really good I thought also. Great cast-even old Hal Holbrook was in this. Well done.A

This is an amazing piece of film-making with a performance for the ages. I loved every bit of this movie and am so glad the stars aligned for Spieleberg to finally put this together. I loved how he balanced the film with politics, emotion, and even humor. There were some enjoyable funny moments from Spader, to the scenes in the House of Reps, to even President Lincoln. I think Spielberg hit the tone just right.

Daniel Day Lewis is quite simply extraordinary as Abraham Lincoln. He does tranform himself. I rarely see Daniel Day when I watch and it's portrayed with such a warmth and intelligence that is almost reassuring. It was such a unique experience to see Lincoln in a different light. You see him cuddling up to his young son on the floor and casually talking to people on his staff or telling stories. And the stories he told were engrossing. In a way, it's what you hoped Abraham Lincoln would be like, even though we will never know for sure. The scene where Lincoln leaves to go to Ford's Theatre leading up to his inevitable death is absolutely perfect. Can't remember the exact words but something like "It's time for me to go, but I would rather stay." Chills. What a scene and really one of the few faults is that I wish they would have ended it right there. But Lewis absolutely knocked it out of the park. He should win the Oscar and IMO it's one of the best performances of the 21st century. Also, a big assist to the writers for giving him some great dialogue to work with.

Tommy Lee Jones was great and should have a great shot at an Oscar himself. Sally Field is also deserving of her praise-the scene of her telling of TLJ was very funny. But Spielberg adds another amazing chapter to his legend. IMO, it's his best movie since Saving Private Ryan and there was no better filmmaker to put to film the end of slavery. He can do it all and he has certinaly put himself on the pinnacle of Hollywood again.

IMO, pure greatness.

A

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I'm British and I never learned nothing about American history in school, but there were a few scenes where I didn't really know what they were talking about, maybe like Baumer, I need to see this one again to get it better.But I mostly really liked it. DDL is incredible, up there as one of his best performances. This is the most reserved he's been in a while. In fact the whole cast is great. That's what happens when you get awesome character actors to play even the smallest parts. I liked that Spielberg wasn't too reliant on the Williams score to manipulate for this one, but credit to Williams as well since I think it's his best work in a while.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I'm British and I never learned nothing about American history in school, but there were a few scenes where I didn't really know what they were talking about, maybe like Baumer, I need to see this one again to get it better.But I mostly really liked it. DDL is incredible, up there as one of his best performances. This is the most reserved he's been in a while. In fact the whole cast is great. That's what happens when you get awesome character actors to play even the smallest parts. I liked that Spielberg wasn't too reliant on the Williams score to manipulate for this one, but credit to Williams as well since I think it's his best work in a while.

It is very very politi-centric and I believe that if you are not American, it is hard to pick up everything they are talking about. I still have no idea what Sally Field was saying to TLJ when she met him at the White House. Not a clue. But a second viewing definitely helps.

It is very very politi-centric and I believe that if you are not American, it is hard to pick up everything they are talking about. I still have no idea what Sally Field was saying to TLJ when she met him at the White House. Not a clue. But a second viewing definitely helps.

TLJ's character in his capacity as a Congressman had been leading an investigation of Ms. Lincoln's financial expenditures.

Just finished watching it and in all honesty it's one of those 'Oscar' films that comes along and seemingly does everything right. The acting, directing, the script...all good but the film itself just failed to wow me. Everyone involved in the film has produced better work at another time and much like Oscar winner 'The Artist' i found myself thinking this is another (probable) BP winner that i don't really see what all the fuss is about.Technically the film is solid but there's nothing in this movie to suggest it's going to be a classic re-watched for years to come.7/10

A masterpiece. This is a remarkable picture, that manages to be entertaining, stirring and goose bump-inducingly grand despite the potentially dry subject matter. Yet again Spielberg captures the respective time period with beautiful detail, unlike Tarantino, who doesn't put much effort into that. The sets, the costumes and the cinematography are all absolutely top notch, and the same could be said about the acting. When you have a cast as massive as this there are inevitably a few actors who arent as good (Sally Field, Gulliver McGrath), but for the most part all the players are on the top of their game. My favorites have to be the Spader/Hawkes/Nelson trio and Tommy Lee Jones, who delivers an Oscar worthy performance. 

This shit made me feel proud to be an american, and I live in Finland.

Good movie.

5/5

• Like 2

Yet again Spielberg captures the respective time period with beautiful detail, unlike Tarantino, who doesn't put much effort into that. 

Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained had impeccable production design. 

But yes, Lincoln is a masterpiece. 

• Like 1

Having now seen it twice, I very much like everything about Lincoln with the exception of the awkward ending (Lincoln reaching the end of that corridor should have been the final shot), JGL's plotline and Kaminski's overuse of windows and open doors to light people (I get the intention, but it just becomes distracting after a while). It's a pleasantly surprising film in a lot of ways, from an inspired choice to set almost the whole story during a single month to Spielberg's much lighter-than-usual directorial touch and plenty of very natural performances. Every scene has a point and a purpose, the story moves forward without stumbling, and for a historical film, it's notable just how alive it all is. The intention isn't to hit all the cliched story/emotional bits and go home, but to very naturally present a certain time and place which isn't limited to what's in the frame at any given moment, and in which all kinds of things might happen. And it shows. It's not without its flaws, but in many ways it's a very remarkably written and directed movie, and the most impressed I've been with Spielberg in a long time. He's still got it, and there's a certain relief in that, at a time when Cameron is stuck in the Avatar/3D mode, Nolan and Jackson can't seem to get out from under giant budgets and running time(s), and Lucas is selling his legacy, Hollywood's original blockbuster filmmaker can still afford to just go and make something like this and knock it out of the park. 

Edited by Jake Gittes