Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

Is Pacific Rim a perfect movie? Not even close! It's got it's fair share of problems. My biggest problem is the wonky structure. Lots of exposition early and then the climax is the Battle of Hong Kong. But it has real characters that have real arcs and act and do believable things given the situation. I'd rather have that than half a dozen "comic relief" characters and a lead actor that people mistake spazzing out for charisma.

• Like 2

40m of marketing.

Oh, I needed a laugh.

I doubt this movie made any profit. It just didn't lose a lot of money.

You need new eyes.

How much profit do you guys think PR1 made?

It had a budget of 190m.

It made 101 dom + 309 os.

Considering studios get about 50% of dom gross and 30% of os, the studio got ~50 + ~103 = ~153m. (I am not sure of this. Correct me if i am wrong.)

I guess the non-theatrical business covered the other 40m odd and marketing.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

I don't give a fat, flying fuck how much the sequel increases or decrease or stays the same.I just want it to be another really good movie.

I love that Warner Bros + Legendary started from scratch to create a whole new universe rather than lazily take up the new adapt-and-reboot game. The 3rd act is a big letdown, the music cheesy, the story a bit weak but the spirit of creating something new & fun is very, very infectious.

• Like 2

Oh, you are correct.  Apologies.

That being said, I struggle to believe the downstream revenues covered the other inevitable $200m in expenses.  And $190m is probably bullish in of itself given how much comes from China.

Though it's probably pretty close in the long run.

• Like 1

I'm excited for this. I really enjoyed Pacific Rim and thought the robots vs. monsters fights were phenomenal. Obviously, the characters and dialogue weren't great (though Idris Elba's character had quite a lot of depth IMO) and besides Ron Perlman who was amazing the actors also didn't do a very good job. But I still think it was a pretty fun and entertaining movie.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

Why does this movie need a sequel. Didn't they defeat the kaiju at the end of the movie?

According to the writer, there are a number of subtle hints or clues of things in the movie that the sequel will deal with. My guess is that it has something to do with Charlie Day's character drifting with the kaiju. Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 1

According to the writer, there are a number of subtle hints or clues of things in the movie that the sequel will deal with.My guess is that it has something to do with Charlie Day's character deciding with the kaiju.

In theory Newton drifting with the kaiju brain connects him with the kaijus and his creator due to the hive mind mentality. In other words they can see what he is doing and he might not even realize it.

• Like 1