Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

150USD in China? Cause there was never any hope it was going to make that US domestic. Ever.

I think the film was made primarily with the China Market in mind, since it was the only major Market where PR really performed well.

• Like 1

But speaking of China, probably a lot of worry in Holllywood about how the trade war with China that The Orange Menace started today will impact them. American movies are a tempting ,high profile target for the Chinese to retaliate on.

2 hours ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

The special Spoiler-Only threads have always only been done for huge tentpoles with very high anticipation.

And PR2 is not a huge tentpole.  Closer to a cheap set of chopsticks.  :ph34r:

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

And PR2 is not a huge tentpole.  Closer to a cheap set of chopsticks.  :ph34r:

It's a sequel to movie that was meant to be a tentpole but fell far short. most in the industry were surprised when a sequel was greenlit.

43 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not shocked to hear that Uprising might pull another Warcraft. Massive opening but no legs. Going to be interesting to see how it performs here in the states and the rest of the not china world.

Not very well, considering how the first film did not perform well outside of China. Without being a hit in China,PR would have lost money instead of eking out a modest profit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not very well, considering how the first film did not perform well outside of China. Without being a hit in China,PR would have lost money instead of eking out a modest profit.

Yeah, I expect the sequel to drop most places.

I had low expectations but I liked it more than I was expecting. 

I’m pretty sure I drove passed a location I wasn’t expecting on the way to the theatre. 

I knew it shot in Sydney but near the beginning there appears to be 2 big gas tanks that are at the Port Kembla steelworks. 

This

r0_134_2557_1744_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Initial RT/Flixster Audience Score.

Take it for what it's worth, which probably isn't much:

AUDIENCE SCORE 

Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 27,684

edit

Doesn't look like there are many scores that weren't (presumably) part of the initial Want to See, so perhaps consider this something of a baseline and see where it goes throughout the day/weekend.

Edited by Porthos

6 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

RT audience score has plummeted to 68% and it's likely to finish below the first film in China. #CRUMBLING 

Oh dear, China was the whole reason they made this movie...

Edited by cookie

TR audience score had started around mid-70s and is now 67% after a week. With a more avid fan-base if the audience score for PRU right now is 68% I think it might end up rotten.

With China looking at a 70m ow or less with a bad rating, am guessing

22 ow * 2.5x = 55 Dom

69 ow * 1.6x = 110 China

150 OS-China?

55 + 110 + 150 = 315 WW

I think there's an outside chance of TR WW > PRU WW

TR has a shot at 70 dom + 85 China + 160 OS-China = 315 WW (optimistic but possible)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

TR audience score had started around mid-70s and is now 67% after a week. With a more avid fan-base if the audience score for PRU right now is 68% I think it might end up rotten.

With China looking at a 70m ow or less with a bad rating, am guessing

22 ow * 2.5x = 55 Dom

69 ow * 1.6x = 110 China

150 OS-China?

55 + 110 + 150 = 315 WW

I think there's an outside chance of TR WW > PRU WW

TR has a shot at 70 dom + 85 China + 160 OS-China = 315 WW (optimistic but possible)

The one plus in terms of profits for PR2 is that as a Chinese Production it gets 43% from the tickets sales vs 25%

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1