Olive

ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS | 5/27/16 | If anyone cares, there is an RT watch in this thread apparently.

Yikes, finally saw the trailers - what is up with the overtly "fake" look of everything? I understand that it's fantasy and of course fiction but there is something off in the effects that take me out of what I was watching. That being said - it should still do OK Box Office wise as in probably around 180-200m but yeah, not touching the first's gross in the slightest.

Classic case of waiting too damn long for a sequel (despite the original being genuinely well-liked by audiences) and its star's B.O. clout going down the tubes in the years since.

Always expected Disney to vacate that opening weekend but I guess not. Gonna be ugly. Not even sure overseas markets will save em but we'll see.

5 hours ago, a2knet said:

This is a great showdown http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=aliceoz.htm

I feel Looking Glass will at least go past Cinderella but may not go past Oz.

I dont think it does Cinderella numbers. I do not feel any anticipation for this film, they waited too long for the sequel.

I think it's going to have a Prince Caspian-like drop. 

14 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I dont think it does Cinderella numbers. I do not feel any anticipation for this film, they waited too long for the sequel.

It could have that big a drop. But I think apart from the same issues plaguing Alice, Narnia had a bigger drop because Caspian was a new character introduced in the 2nd film and yet was at the center of the marketing. Here it's clear that the same Alice is at the center. Also all the big names are back. So IMO it will evade the Caspian fate.

200m for Looking Glass would be a 40% drop from Wonderland.

Edited by a2knet

13 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Yeah, it'll drop Prince Caspian-style......but not exactly to those numbers....

$200M DOM flat...which is still good. WW-wise, it could do around $700M. China will be the key factor....and that could prevent it from being a total financial failure.

The only question is....will this be a better movie than the last one? Cause anytime a movie that people don't like is sometimes the one that people aren't excited about before it's release.