Elessar

Weekend Estimates (Jan 4-6 2013)

For the weekend:Texas- 10.2-7.1-3.2 = 20.5DU - 6.2-8.7-5.1 = 20.0TH1- 5.2-7.5-4.3 = 17.0LM - 5.0-7.3-4.2 = 16.5So DU can still win the weekend if Texas has bigger drop and DU has bigger jump on Saturday.

That's shocking. Never would've expected 10m for Texas Chainsaw.

Kinda sucky for holdovers.

Lol, no? TCM nose-dive is going to be impressive today. It`s a rush factor movie. All kids who wanted to see it saw it yesterday, most likely gave it a rating between C- and F.
  • Like 1

I don't see any problems with WOM, in fact it showed better holds than expected. But of course drops will be steeper from now on, it's losing IMAX screens and 3D share will be lower, but it still should do more than the SH1-multiplier. There's a part of Tolkien fandom that seems to watch these films again and again, leading to exceptional "late" legs, and they will keep H1 in theaters throughout February.

Better holds than expected? Its doing IAL numbers now even though it opened bigger. Holds have been average, nothing more.

Oscar buzz really helped FOTR (less so TTT and Shriekapoo) because it was the first in the series and sceptics where intrigued by the buzz saying it was phenomenal movie, one of the year`s best. Oscar helps in those cases, when something isn`t expected to be that good but it is. Moreover, FOTR wasn`t just "lucky-to-be-nominated blockbuster spot without relevancy". It was the runner-up in the Oscar race so it was getting tons of coverage. TTT and Shriekapoo were more business as usual in that department once FOTR broke the ice but media spotlight kept them in public memory so legs extended.

Heh, i feared $20m would not happen for Hobbit. That friday increase is even worse than i expected, though.

Yeah..... I was expecting 5.5/18m after last weekend.... with strong holidays I thought it could go higher.... but I suspected that weekdays might just be more in holiday mode than 2007. That's why I was expecting smaller jumps than 2007.
  • Like 1

With a 10 mill Friday TCM will do 23 mill this weekend and that is a pretty damn good opening for it. That means it will do minimum 45 to 50mill. and even tho i didnt like it much im glad to see it open that well. Maybe well get anothr F13th based on the strength of this.

• Like 1

Still amazes me how some people are surprised over a 20-30 mill horror opener the first weekend i Jan..Happens every fuc.. ehhh freakin time... No matter how bad it looks

And what the hell is up with my fellow Canucks lol? We like Lord .of the Rings way too much here

Must be we aren`t as diverse as big cities make us believe. Books are racist no spin about it. They glorify white supremacy and Tolkien was born in South Africa so yeah.