Ratatouille

58 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Ratatouille

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It doesn't compete with Pixars earlier efforts. Yeah you could say its a good movie, but its certainly not a fun movie like FN, MI or TI were. Pixar are more interested in making Acadamy Award winners now rather than their good old fationed family movies filled with humour and its getting a little boring now. Same goes with Up and Wall E.

haha nope, Ratouille is a masterpiece, just like Up and Wall-E. The fact they are praised by almost everyone *cough baumer cough* supports my statement

haha nope, Ratouille is a masterpiece, just like Up and Wall-E. The fact they are praised by almost everyone *cough baumer cough* supports my statement

They are praised by critics and Internet geeks. The GA prefer the earlier movies and the numbers support my statement ;)

I loved Pixar, animation, Paris, food...wasn't too keen on first viewing but probably my fave movie of all time now or after second viewing.

So obviously Pixar has not made a better movie yet. Incredible it's been 7 years now...yikes.

They are praised by critics and Internet geeks. The GA prefer the earlier movies and the numbers support my statement ;)

Actually, Ratatouille is the 6th biggest Pixar movie WW, behind TS3, FN, MU, Up and very close to TI It's also the 5th biggest one OS. 

I've now rewatched the first eight Pixar movies and this is the only one that actively pissed me off for as long as it did. Cars mostly just made me roll my eyes while this compelled me to shout "Fuck you" at the protagonist a number of times. 

Maybe it's made worse by the fact that the film has such a wonderful sense of art direction and tone that I really wished I cared about the characters a lot more. Remy starts off as a sympathetic outsider, but he loses that once he displays his dickish tendencies. Linguini is also disappointing as he's pretty much just there to be Remy's puppet (and it was such a BS conceit for the movie to portray that literally). I can't help thinking Skinner wasn't exactly in the wrong trying to conceal his relation to Gusteau. And of course Collette goes from being a fun-to-watch mentor with a chip on her shoulder to a cliched love interest.

I do admit the ending is pretty great, once everyone gets over their personal hangups and works together to impress Ego. I imagine that's what sells the movie to most people. But I find everything between the rat shop scene and the climax just awful, and try as I might I'm just never going to love this movie the way everyone else does.

The movie grew on me a lot. The first time I felt it was a 7.5/10.

Rodents in kitchen was a bit creepy and movie felt less warm than other animations.

Did not like the characterization of the young Linguini.

But I found the movie very repeat-viewing friendly.

Maybe there's so much in it to appreciate that one's you go past a few things (that seem minor in hindsight) it becomes fun.

It's one of my favorite animations now.

Paris and all the food is amazingly animated. Remy and Ego are great. The movie has a lot more brains than other animations.

9/10

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Entertaining but a lesser Pixar effort. And I'm not even sure what this movie is trying to tell us. Rats can cook? Huh?

The themes of this movie are relevant enough to be used in a Migos song, so I'm not sure how you missed the message :lol: