Jack Nevada

What is 'pretentious'?

When I use it to criticize films it is because they are trying to use some sort of pseudo intellectualism that never quite executes successfully Like I would definitely call Tree of Life pretentious, because to me, it tried to be this big meditation on life itself but instead it ended up being a long muddled boring mess with nothing unique or special to say. It was a director's whacking off to himself.

• Like 3

From what I've read by various boards, it seems to indicate:

"Any film that expands the boundaries and elevates the film genre instead of rigidly adhering to imaginary guidelines and staying well within the box"

or

"Any film that uses humor that is subtle and/or dark rather than camp/slapstick"

Now you're being pretentious
  • Like 2

The worst part about the word pretentious is that it ends any semblance of a conversation about the movie. By using that word you're writing the purpose and intentions of an entire film off. Malick is definitely saying something with Tree of Life, whether it's entirely accessible or not is another story.

• Like 2

The Artist is not pretentious since it's incredibly sincere and upfront about what it's about and runs more on emotion than thought.

The Tree of Life may be pretentious IF you think the film doesn't earn what it floats around trying to speak about. I for one think it doesn't earn any praise aside from its technical wizardry and Brad Pitt's performance.

• Like 1

Malick's filmography earned him every right to be "pretentious" (even if I don't think Tree Of Life is, it's just a sincere and very personal "Ode to Life itself" and that is for most people pretentious and self-indulgent in itself).

Edited by dashrendar44