Jack Nevada

What is 'pretentious'?

Not seen Cache yet, but Benny's Video and The White Ribbon in particular are two of the most pretentious films I've seen. The Seventh Continent and Amour are mostly saved from that by the inherent simplicity of their premises, but Haneke doesn't exactly help himself with his style - the lack of music, the documentary-like realism, the long shots with camera standing in one place for minutes, the open ending, the length and B&W cinematography (all three in the case of TWR) - coming from him it all comes off as overtly deliberate and practically screaming "look what a dead-serious artist I am, look how important my themes are!". Except in the end, I haven't yet seen him entirely earn that attitude. The Seventh Continent is the closest he's come.

With Haneke, I don't think I would apply "pretentious". He tackles serious and dark themes and so his films are not very appealing, but they're well-constructed if a little "teachery" and dry. The only thing close to pretentious in his films are many of his characters which are not characters in themselves, but serve as manifestations of, say, a religion or an attitude. That's rather patronizing because that way he forces some of his themes on the audience instead of letting them connect the points themselves.

You ve probably never read a Michael Haneke interview.

His vision of cinema and Hollywood is one of the most patronizing,stupid thing I have ever read.

He is pseudo intellectualism at its worst.

Always giving lessons about morality and all ... pffff

He represents everything I loathe in an artist : pretentious, intellectual and has probably never laughed at a fart joke in his entire life. 

As Michael Bay would say :

I think he has a birth defect, he misses the fun gene.

Haneke means pretentious in Austrian : look for it, it s true.

Plus, Quentin Tarantino agrees with me.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I haven't seen most of his interviews, but barely kept myself from facepalming when in Hollywood Reporter's writers' roundtable discussion he denounced Schindler's List for being emotionally manipulative. Yeah, 'cause Amour is totally not.

On the other hand, checking out his personal quotes on IMDb I didn't find anything to disagree with, quite the opposite for the most part.

I think my personal definition has come to be films that are obviously trying to make a point, but it's never really clear what it is.

This should be right next to the word in the dictionary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGs4CjeJiJQ

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The worst part about the word pretentious is that it ends any semblance of a conversation about the movie. By using that word you're writing the purpose and intentions of an entire film off. Malick is definitely saying something with Tree of Life, whether it's entirely accessible or not is another story.

well he was saying something, if by something we mean syntax and grammar and words and questions...but was about semantics? all i got from it was grandiose imagery and ethereal voices speaking in rhetorical questions, a style reminiscent of corporate PR-speak. so for me at least, i certainly think this is one of the very few art movies that deserves the word pretentious.

She and Nicole Kidman both consider themselves Hollywood female icons ...

Posers ?  :unsure:

I wouldn't say they consider themselves. Their fandoms are completley delusional since GA relaly doens't care for either. But I've never heard any of them say something to that extent. They are actually very likable and donw to Earth in interviews. On screne is anothe rmatter, though I consider Kidman a supperior actress. Blanchett is always hammy. Kidman ha smuch more range. She cna play staight and she can play offbeat.