Taylor

Weekend Estimates (Identity Thief: $36.6M, Warm Bodies $11.5M, Side Effects: $10M)

I think ID Theft will end up around 90M. SE-not sure, maybe 25M?

This is killing it in the middle of the country and I think it will definitely close way above $100m. Not to be superficial, but it's probably refreshing for people to see a lead actress who they can relate to on a physical basis and the "big soda" on the poster was kind of genius. I think this will actually have some legs. Similar to a movie like Mall Cop, this isn't going to make most of its money on the coasts. 

Girls go crazy for Gosling. Nuts. Dude has blogs dedicated to him.  He's charismatic enough to have crossover appeal, too. He just needs another Notebook, not things like Drive or Blue Valentine. Hardy and Pine have potential to be big stars, but they didn't really breakout in 2012 like they were supposed.  Let's see how they do with their big franchises this year, though. 

Everyone has blogs dedicated to them. Trouble is, that doesn`t translate to boxoffice. Gosling isn`t boxoffice and he didn`t open Notebook either. Nicolas Sparks did.

Girls were nuts for Borelando too who was #1 most googled and most imdb`d actor for few years and he totally bombed when he tried to fly solo. Difference between him and Gosling is that Gosling is an actual talent. But in both cases blogger and Internet obsession did not result in a boxoffice.

OTOH, you`ll find a lot of "Can`t take Leo seriously because of his baby face" comments and yet his movies, unless they are really hard sell like J Edgar, make a bank. In short, people say anything on the Internet but behave differently in real life. You bet your ass that many Internet fanboys who swear by Fass haven`t seen any of his movies that didn`t make money (which is why they didn`t make money). But they`ve heard it`s cool to be a fan so they are fans. Likewise, there are actors who are cool to hate on the Net but secretly watch every movie they are in which is why they are boxoffice. Most comedy actors fall into that category.

• Like 1

This is killing it in the middle of the country and I think it will definitely close way above $100m. Not to be superficial, but it's probably refreshing for people to see a lead actress who they can relate to on a physical basis and the "big soda" on the poster was kind of genius. I think this will actually have some legs. Similar to a movie like Mall Cop, this isn't going to make most of its money on the coasts. 

did you really just call the middle of the country fat?

If so, fuck you.

There is no need to overanalyze everything. The movie was well-marketed (Superbowl ad), has a very familar leading actress and is a R-rated comedy in a market full of either action or Oscar movies. $30-35 million is a good number but it is hardly record-breaking or anything.

• Like 3

did you really just call the middle of the country fat?If so, fuck you.

When it comes to the box office, I consider all factors and believe what I said what relevant. Sorry if it offended you but perhaps you can voice your thoughts more eloquently. Also, why take it so offensively? Edited by Clavius

The truth speaks to people, those who like your post just don't see that truth.

It's a crap movie, a renter. Melissa isn't the only actor to have this affect. However, her brand of schtick tires after a few years like Johnny Knoxville, Sasha Cohen or Tom Green. She's just the first female in some time so I guess it feels unique somehow. 

That's fine if her star fades. I doubt many expect otherwise. But better to be a star that shines brightly, even for a few years, than to never shine at all. I don't really see why you have such a big problem with that.

• Like 2