A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

Not necessarily the director's fault. he had nothing to work with

Several of the reviews point toward his lack of deftness with the material and how it wasn't a good fit for his strengths as a director.  Also it's not as if as director he does not get imput to craft and change the script, and they did change the ending according to the screenwriter.

• Like 2

I feel bad for JLaw fans, they were so excited for this. I still hope you guys love the movie, though. That's what matters.

But part of me is also happy about this, because Chris Pratt is terrible in serious roles, and he kills animals for fun. Hollywood please stop forcing him as the next big star, he's only good playing goofy comedic characters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw JLaw's interview on Kimmel the other day and it's been a while since I saw an actor or actress show so little enthusiasm while talking about their new movie. Was she trying to sending us a Morse Code? lol.

Are you talking about this?

I thought it was weird how she talked about it, too.

12 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Yeesh. It's all opening up for Rogue One, Sing, and the Oscar contenders.

Oh yes, Rogue One and Sing are gonna clean up now. Who knows, maybe even Why Him? will beat expectations on account of being the only comedy out this holiday season. The reviews for that are looking to be alright for a mainstream comedy (and better than Passengers, it must be said surprisingly).

Just now, tribefan695 said:

When you let a line like "Sometimes the people no one imagines anything of do the things no one imagines" pass three times in a movie, it makes me question how talented a filmmaker you really are

Well, English is not his first language.  Someone should have been helping out there.

The main problem was right there in the script and how it wasn't fixed along the way is baffling.  They seem to have felt just casting Pratt would make it better.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I feel bad for JLaw fans, they were so excited for this. I still hope you guys love the movie, though. That's what matters.

But part of me is also happy about this, because Chris Pratt is terrible in serious roles, and he kills animals for fun. Hollywood please stop forcing him as the next big star, he's only good playing goofy comedic characters.

I know. so fucked up

Edited by Alli

yeah, morten tyldum is a middle of the road guy. i liked headhunters but i liked the source material too. it could have been crazier than it was. a better filmmaker could've made it an all-time caper.

imitation game is mediocre in pretty much every sense. i'm not usually an "historical accuracy!!!!" guy but i've never seen a movie that changes history to really dull its own dramatic impact so much.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Not necessarily the director's fault. he had nothing to work with

Good directors can put their stamps on the movies and make something out of "nothing to work with". Be it visuals, atmosphere, quirks, characters' moments, etc... 

From the reviews, sounds like Tyldum had none of it.

But maybe in fairer terms, as what old man Tele been saying, he's just simply not right/out of his depth for this genre and settings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah, morten tyldum is a middle of the road guy. i liked headhunters but i liked the source material too. it could have been crazier than it was. a better filmmaker could've made it an all-time caper.

That was a weird movie. The first 20 minutes were a totally different tone and genre to what followed afterwards. Like the Thomas Crown Affair suddenly turning into The Fugitive.

Edited by Hatebox

v1.YzsyMzM4O2c7MTcyMzM7MjA0ODszODs0Mg

William Bibbiani 
CraveOnline

December 15, 2016
It tries to pass itself off as romantic but it doesn't seem to realize that it's actually careened headlong into stalker territory.
v1.YzsyNDc1O2c7MTcxOTA7MjA0ODszODs0Mg

Scott Mendelson 
Forbes

December 15, 2016
A flashy, star-driven sci-fi melodrama that gets undercut by a generic (and convenient) finale.
Full Review | Original Score: 6/10

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Are you talking about this?

I thought it was weird how she talked about it, too.

"Ooooh my job is so hard, I got paid $20M (which I don't deserve since I have yet to really prove I can open a film) plus massive backend to do this movie and now I have to...are you ready for it...woe is me...can you imagine...talk about it.