A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You might want to check out that blood pressure soon.

Maybe if this had a 95% on RT.  :ohmygod:    I'm just shocked and appalled that people thought this was going to be good, some kind of James Cameron space lark.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

bombs away as expected. 

Don't try to spin this.

Take it on the chin and move on. 

So now discussing the logical reasons why a film does not do as well as hoped for at the box office (such as an abyssmal RTY score) is spin? LOLLL. Box office is magic pixe dust.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

The script is utter garbage, and that's ignoring the plot point that's led to so many pans, which is being inflated and has a very minor part to do with how bad this movie is.  Just on a basic level of dialogue and character and narrative development, the script is an utter fail.  The ending is beyond laughable.  That anyone thinks this was an okay, much less a great script, is mind-boggling.  

I agree with all of that.

But let's not forget that the muddled marketing did not do the movie any favors. Had this film's marketing team come up with an engaging, focused, compelling campaign, the film would be having a better opening.

Awful marketing

+

overall crappy movie

+

horrifically problematic plot point potentially alienating some people

+

star's offensively immature behavior potentially alienating some people

+

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story's continued dominance 

=

underwhelming opening.

To me the main issue was not the plot point everyone got upset about but that the script is underwritten.

Spoiler

it did not set up the ending well enough. Just one scene where Aurora confronts Jim and starts to reconcile with him. That would have set up the emotional pay off at the end. I'll put on my screenwriter hat:

Fade In: Jim awakens in his bed, looks up, sees Aurora sitting in a chair watching him in silence.

Jim starts to speak...

Aurora-"Don't say anything. I don't want to hear it. Just don't. I want to tell you something. I have been thinking about it these last few weeks and have decided something."

Jim, more awake. stares at her intently.

Aurora-"I just wanted to say I will never forgive you but I don't hate you, if that makes any sense. I guess I can imagine what it would have been like to wake up and be alone on this ship. How desperate that made you. I cannot forgive you but I understand. Just walking around the ship these last few weeks I realized something, that no matter how much I hated you, you being here was the only thing that kept me from going mad. Just knowing another person was there, even someone I despised. I was angry at myself initially, that I was letting you off the hook. And I kept thinking about the meaning of hell, and I could not come up with anything more diabolical than being comdemned to life in some luxury coffin with the man who condemned me being my only companion. This is hell in a way. But then I thought maybe I deserve this. I mean 5000 people chose to take this journey, to leave everything they know and love behind forever, but did any of them have as pathetic a reason as me? I was watching the videos of all my family and friends saying goodbye and I stopped being angry at you. I started hating myself. I left it all behind and abandoned everyone I knew to write a book. A freaking book. That's it. It's incredible. And I realized something. Who am I to judge you after what I did to myself, what I did to my loved ones, for nothing more than mere vanity, for fame? If this is hell then it is merely where I belong."

Aurora stops talking. Jim watches silently.

Aurora-"Anyway, I don't hate you. You are all I have left. Quite a life."

Gets up. Walks out

Fade out.   

Something like that. 

• Like 1

I don't even understand what this so called problematic plot point is. Someone enlighten me as to why people are up in arms. I've seen the movie and didn't find the movie unethical or misogynistic, but rather that it offered an interesting moral and ethical question to ponder. And I thought the movie stunk, but I still wouldn't equate the movie with misogyny. Pratt's actions are supposed to be questionable. It must come down to the easy going cop out of an ending and how it's handled and what it says about the whole situation.  That ending is very bad in every way.

Edited by LateReg

The script is one of the most famous non produced script in HOLLYWOOD of the last few years, lots of people thought it was terrific and have been raving about it.

Movie gets done.

Most criticized aspect of the movie :

the script and each of its narrative choice.

:sadben:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The script is one of the most famous non produced script in HOLLYWOOD of the last few years, lots of people thought it was terrific and have been raving about it.

Movie gets done.

The script was on the blacklist true but you don't know how much of it got changed between then and when the movie actually got made unless you've read the original script and watched the film. 

I know I've given Sony a lot of flack for the poor marketing and rightfully so but when you consider that they paid Pratt and Lawrence $32M combined, it makes sense that they thought it would be enough to market the film off of their names alone. 

But a part from their low budget films that came out in the summer, Sony has had a horrible year so this is just the nail in the coffin for them. 

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Movie gets done.

The Blacklist gets way too much hype. So many stinkers had Blacklist scripts.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Movie gets done.

I never read the original script. Any link? Like I said yesterday, I liked the film. It was interesting. But I just thought because it was underwritten it did not stick the ending. It does not quite explain the emotional transition. Nothing fatal. Again a solid film. But it was there. 

Edited by straggler

11 hours ago, Jeriosnal said:

The script is utter garbage, and that's ignoring the plot point that's led to so many pans, which is being inflated and has a very minor part to do with how bad this movie is.  Just on a basic level of dialogue and character and narrative development, the script is an utter fail.  The ending is beyond laughable.  That anyone thinks this was an okay, much less a great script, is mind-boggling.  

Its a terrific script and terrific ending. That Anyone thinks otherwise is just mind boggling.

See how that works?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LateReg said:

I don't even understand what this so called problematic plot point is. Someone enlighten me as to why people are up in arms. I've seen the movie and didn't find the movie unethical or misogynistic, but rather that it offered an interesting moral and ethical question to ponder. And I thought the movie stunk, but I still wouldn't equate the movie with misogyny. Pratt's actions are supposed to be questionable. It must come down to the easy going cop out of an ending and how it's handled and what it says about the whole situation.  That ending is very bad in every way.

I haven't seen the movie but from what I gathered is that "progressives" (duh!) are up in arms that

Pratt selfishly woke up Lawrence so they view it as glorifying the Stockholm Syndrome, abusive relationships, anti-feminism, whatever

Basically, the idea is that movies must not show anything that is considered negative action/attitude against _________(insert endangered species of the week) anymore in any shape or form. So they are now trying to prove that the content sunk the movie whereas in reality the movie failed to open due to questionable star power, blah marketing, more interesting/appealing competition. Those who bothered to see the movie are those who are now complaining about the twist. Others who wouldn't complain didn't care to see the movie anyway. 

if you ask me, complainers have their panties in a twist cause JLaw didn't come off as a feminist icon in this movie (due to the twist, in their opinion). Just as they were ready to glorify her (like they tried when Joy was running those adds with the shotgun), the movie didn't turn out to be what they imagined. Boo-hoo.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Movie gets done.

You do know that [allegedly] brilliant script =/= brilliant movie necessarily, right? 

Passengers is proof of this.

Ok, lets do something Box Office related.

Passengers road to 100M (compared to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011):

Passengers TGWTDT %
Wed 4,11 5,07 81,07
Thu 3,22 3,31 97,21
Fri 4,50 4,63 97,19
Sat      
Sun      
1st weekend      
Mon      

Gross to date 11,83 13,01 90,92
Legs (5 day) 1,00 1,00 100,00
Final gross* 98,82 102,5158 96,39
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Frozen said:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo had an 86% on RT and was certified fresh. It had an audience score of 86%.

Passengers has a 32% on RT and a 68% audience score. Legs will not be the same.

I'm aware of that. If you know a better movie to compare day to day let me know.

5 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I'm aware of that. If you know a better movie to compare day to day let me know.

There is literally nothing to compare it to, sadly. There is no other sci-fi movie that has come out at Christmas and gotten terrible reviews. This sinking ship is in a league of its own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Movie gets done.

Haven't seen the movie but the interpretation of the script matters way more than the actual content of it. Give the Passengers script with the same actors to Nolan, Fincher, Aronofsky and you ll get 3 different movies.

• Like 6

@Cochofles does your review mean you've seen the movie?

@LateReg spoiler tags maybe? There aren't too many things what you are saying could mean.

@Frozen This movie is great fun to watch if you go with it and don't over-analyze. I never saw Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so I don't know if it was good (RT has completely lost me as a barometer).  I think the WOM with GA will be good for this movie, so I am expecting it to pick up. Unfortunately, I think the reviews will mean it won't ever reach its potential domestically in theatrical release.  But I expect it to do better after Christmas.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas!

C0i5DpaUAAA0eaC.jpg

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3