Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

"in theory" yeah.... but midnights are not as popular as they were 1 year earlier.I was referring more to the Saturday hold though. Should see an increase IMO (from Friday minus previews).70m Friday would be indeed very good but I can see it getting 170m from there.

But we're also not even talking about midnights anymore. More than likely, the majority of the money came from 9pm shows.

I agree about the Saturday increase from Friday sans previews.

• Founder / Operator

I think my $175m prediction is looking pretty decent right now. IM3's Thursday/midnight total was 83.42% of Avengers' midnight total. That would give it a $173m total after Sunday if the trend continues.

Still feeling $157-160m until we see some Friday reports. That's just 1% over Avengers' previews-to-weekend ratio.

FRIDAY AM, 4TH UPDATEThe Summer 2013 movie season officially opened today with a much-anticipated tentpole from Disney and Marvel. The North American theater count for Iron Man 3 is a whopping 4,253 venues. But there were fewer theaters for its late night run which started at 9 PM Thursday and continued  through well after Friday midnight and made a non-record $15.6M. Hard to talk about midnight comps because the sneaky studios keep starting their weekend previews earlier and earlier and then fold in those Thursday/Friday totals to pad first-day numbers. But for your reference, The Avengers did $18.7M and Warner Bros’ Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 did $43.5M. Iron Man 3 now has a global box office total of $361M, setting new opening day records in Russia and Ukraine. Internationally, the film has already passed the total international box office of Captain America ($192M), Iron Man ($267M),Thor ($268M) and Iron Man 2 ($312M). Even rival studios tell me that Iron Man 3this weekend is “looking more like Avengers which opened at $207M than Iron Man 2 which opened at $128M. Avengers helped them get much more of the family audience. This should continue that trend.” So the expectations are for $165M-$180M in North America through Sunday for the Robert Downey Jr starring/Shane Black-directed actioner. So far Iron Man 3 has $307M international in the till going into Friday. With the second overseas weekend of Avengersmaking $156.1M. it’s very possible that Iron Man 3 could come up with a worldwide total of $650M through Sunday.

lol

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

But we're also not even talking about midnights anymore. More than likely, the majority of the money came from 9pm shows.

I agree about the Saturday increase from Friday sans previews.

I expect a 2-1 split, $10m previews, $5m midnight.  

• Like 1

Still feeling $157-160m until we see some Friday reports. That's just 1% over Avengers' previews-to-weekend ratio.

165 I think, at it's best.

• Like 1

I think your all underestimating Friday business by a good margin...

Why would this be well down from IM2 day business with 3D of 51 million???

$15.6m

$63m

$50m

$36m

$149m

The arguement will be previews guess we will see.

Edited by Lordmandeep

"in theory" yeah.... but midnights are not as popular as they were 1 year earlier.I was referring more to the Saturday hold though. Should see an increase IMO (from Friday minus previews).70m Friday would be indeed very good but I can see it getting 170m from there.

I doubt it will do as well as Avengers without a midnight. That had a crazy run and I think IM3 wont have that good a WOM(I liked IM3 more).

• Like 1

FRIDAY AM, 4TH UPDATEThe Summer 2013 movie season officially opened today with a much-anticipated tentpole from Disney and Marvel. The North American theater count for Iron Man 3 is a whopping 4,253 venues. But there were fewer theaters for its late night run which started at 9 PM Thursday and continued  through well after Friday midnight and made a non-record $15.6M. 

Posted Image

• Like 7

Did you do the math? He is predicting it to reach $164.6m through Sunday, which would be bigger than IM2 adjusted for 3D and inflation. His point was that the $15.6m (or at least a good portion of it) should not be counted in the weekend gross.

• Like 1

Did you do the math? He is predicting it to reach $164.6m through Sunday, which would be bigger than IM2 adjusted for 3D and inflation. His point was that the $15.6m (or at least a good portion of it) should not be counted in the weekend gross.

I was refering to Telemachos prediction...

Anyways I am seeing 160 million max + 10, min -5...

Edited by Lordmandeep

The arguement will be previews guess we will see.

Yea... The answer is the previews. People that usually went Friday moved a day before, to Thursday, therefore the Friday gross decreasing. It'll still do good, that's no problem.

I say

Friday: 65

Saturday: 58.5

Sunday: 42

• Like 1