Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

I'm pretty sure AWE was 8 PM. I remember going to an 8 PM show and there weren't earlier shows. Here is an article by Variety that says 8 PM as well:

http://variety.com/2007/film/news/disney-moves-up-pirates-opening-1117964457/

Yeah, typo on my part. I meant to say 8.

• Like 1

What's the highest grossing movie there? and how much? 

105.5 M AVATAR (Hollywood)

082.7 M THIEVES (local film)

Another local film which is currently playing is very close to the local record with 81.9 M.

• Founder / Operator

The studios believed the shooting created a stigma about midnight shows, so they started moving the midnight shows to 10 PM, 9 PM, etc. The lame part is when they decided to start treating those shows as actual midnight shows. As Spizzer has shown with his reports, a 9 PM start allows for a shitload more showtimes staggered from 9 PM to 1 AM. As he said yesterday, it's basically an extra half-day for the weekend.

I still don't buy that it's completely related to Aurora. This gives the studios more money upfront because they get a bigger cut of the opening weekend gross. It's debatable as to how much it really adds, but, it's an advantage for them to do it this way. Hopefully exhibitors push back if they try to start opening any earlier.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

So the OD should be pretty close to 70M, based on this 15.6M figure. It should stay almost flat on Saturday (i.e. approximately 53-54M) and then drop to 41-42M for Sunday. An OW 165M +.

That's a best case scenario, though. I think $60m Fri is more likely than $70m.

Edited by ShawnMR

Trailers are all awesome.Now You See Me...fantasticMan of Steel...awesomeWhite House Down...best trailer for it...very excited nowThe Lone Ranger...great final trailerFF6...Freakin bad ass trailer!!!....so now we working for the HulkThor....great

Wait this new trend is related to AURORA??? God this country has become a bunch of pussies. If somebody wants to shoot up a movie premiere there's nothing stopping them doing at 9pm versus 12am.

I think it's ridiculous. 

So this is looking like...15M/55M50M40M160M?

Nah, holds are too good...

15.8/65

Edited by ChFloppit

Trailers are all awesome.Now You See Me...fantasticMan of Steel...awesomeWhite House Down...best trailer for it...very excited nowThe Lone Ranger...great final trailerFF6...Freakin bad ass trailer!!!....so now we working for the HulkThor....great

All the trailers before I saw Iron Man were shit. Put me in a mood I didn't wanna start the film with.

I still don't buy that it's completely related to Aurora. This gives the studios more money upfront because they get a bigger cut of the opening weekend gross. It's debatable as to how much it really adds, but, it's an advantage for them to do it this way. Hopefully exhibitors push back if they try to start opening any earlier.

It's only completely related to Aurora in that Aurora just gives studios the excuse to start at 9pm on Thursday and count it towards Friday/OD/OW.

• Like 1