Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

:lol: No way! 

You guys aren't very good at reading, lol. That's the second time someone has ignored what he actually wrote. Do the math on the numbers he wrote. He's saying it will make $149m WITHOUT the previews. I think it will make a bit more than that, but his prediction isn't laughable at all.

• Like 1

FRIDAY AM, 4TH UPDATEThe Summer 2013 movie season officially opened today with a much-anticipated tentpole from Disney and Marvel. The North American theater count for Iron Man 3 is a whopping 4,253 venues. But there were fewer theaters for its late night run which started at 9 PM Thursday and continued  through well after Friday midnight and made a non-record $15.6M. Hard to talk about midnight comps because the sneaky studios keep starting their weekend previews earlier and earlier and then fold in those Thursday/Friday totals to pad first-day numbers. But for your reference, The Avengers did $18.7M and Warner Bros’ Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 did $43.5M. Iron Man 3 now has a global box office total of $361M, setting new opening day records in Russia and Ukraine. Internationally, the film has already passed the total international box office of Captain America ($192M), Iron Man ($267M),Thor ($268M) and Iron Man 2 ($312M). Even rival studios tell me that Iron Man 3this weekend is “looking more like Avengers which opened at $207M than Iron Man 2 which opened at $128M. Avengers helped them get much more of the family audience. This should continue that trend.” So the expectations are for $165M-$180M in North America through Sunday for the Robert Downey Jr starring/Shane Black-directed actioner. So far Iron Man 3 has $307M international in the till going into Friday. With the second overseas weekend of Avengersmaking $156.1M. it’s very possible that Iron Man 3 could come up with a worldwide total of $650M through Sunday.

lol

WHY do you keep yelling "NOT A RECORD". We get it by now. Who expected one.

Edited by jandrew

• Founder / Operator

This is about as high as I can see it going, and I'm giving it a big advantage on Friday and Sunday just for hypothetical purposes.

Fri: $67.5m (incl. $15.6m previews)

Sat: $57.4m (-15%)Sun: $44.8m (-22%)Wknd: $169.67 million -- round up to $170m

Edited by ShawnMR

Perhaps early but I think we have avoided an IM2 letdown??

Thank God...

No one melted down about IM2's midnight number. The meltdown happened when the Friday number came in and everyone realized there was no way it was going to reach Paramount's $150m prediction/hope.

No one melted down about IM2's midnight number. The meltdown happened when the Friday number came in and everyone realized there was no way it was going to reach Paramount's $150m prediction/hope.

I was away at a party that whole weekend, so I completely missed that meltdown. :(