hasanahmad

Will future James Cameron movies be considered flops if they don't reach $1 billion WW at box office ?

Titanic got a billion , avatar shook the world and got a Billion, if Avatar 2 and beyond get less than 1 billion WW and every subsequent one gets less as they are supposedly releasing close to each other, will they be considered flops in relation to his past

Movies? Will the charm wear off ?

If Avatar makes less than a billion, there will WWW thread for it.  I'm not kidding.  Some people here really have a hard time understanding box office....and this isn't me saying I'm smarter than anyone, but there is a difference between what you hope it will do and what it realistically will do.  

• Like 3

If Avatar makes less than a billion, there will WWW thread for it.  I'm not kidding.  Some people here really have a hard time understanding box office....and this isn't me saying I'm smarter than anyone, but there is a difference between what you hope it will do and what it realistically will do.

A drop of almost 65% from the first film would be a little disappointing. At least it's starting from a very high base and a drop that size would still be essentially a billion.

For most of the posters here Avatar 2 will be considered a huge flop if it does anything less than a 50% increase on the original in all markets.

Very few people here know how to manage expectations much less accepting reality after they aren't met.

Edited by Mangostellar in 70mm
  • Like 1

Many times our expectations do not fit with studios expectations. It is a flop/fail if it does not have benefits or if they are modest. It will be a disappointment for us because we like big numbers to comment, but unless the budget is crazy, I think studios would be fine with 3 sequels of 900s million WW.

Edited by peludo

Unless Cameron starts actually making films with a $800M budget per film, then $1B WW can never be considered a flop in my opinion.  

However... Avatar 2 being a sequel has context. The first film made 2.7B so the sequel failing to make 1B would be a decrease of 63% despite having the same cast, director and an expanded global market. Has any major film fallen that hard from first to second installment (that didn't gut the cast/director/budget)? 

If after Avatar, Cameron moves on to an original concept and it grosses 700M WW, that would show he's still pretty damn popular and succesful (again unless the budget is insane to the infinity), but for Avatar, I think it needs to make 1.5B to avoid being a flop and 2B to avoid being a disappointment.

That's not expectation over the film talking, but just thinking about the percentage drops on the original required to hit a figure like $1B

For most of the posters here Avatar 2 will be considered a huge flop if it does anything less than a 50% increase on the original in all markets.

Very few people here know how to manage expectations much less accepting reality after they aren't met.

I don't think there are many people expecting Avatar to increase despite growing markets, especially 50%. Except Kal maybe but his predictions are always full of shit.