Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

9 minutes ago, Klingo said:

Director Ridley Scott is planning a movie of what happened after Prometheus and before Covenant.

No, he doesn't. He lies every time he says something in interviews. If he directs next Alien after Covenant, it will be a sequel with David.

Loved It Very Much.  That Ending, Wow.  Michael Fassbender performance was even better than "Prometheus".   I was scared it wasn't going to be a "Prometheus" Sequel and it really was.   The marathon I did this week made the experience even more enjoyable because you see the connectivity of all the films.   Ridley had homages to the Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 in this film.   I think the Prologue should of been left in the film as well.   Can't wait for "Awakening".  Ridely needs to hurry and do it so it can drop on the 40th Anniversary of "Alien in 2019.   As for number prospects, I just hoping for it to match "Prometheus' maybe pass it worldwide. 

Edited by filmscholar

Saw AC today and was ... disappointed. Viewed like a retread/compilation of bits and pieces of prior Alien films, and other space-monster movies more generally.

Sadly, seems like Scott took the criticism of Prometheus's alleged opaqueness too seriously, and from scene one makes sure he spells out everything and connects all the dots such that any 5-year old won't feel mystified by anything. And worst of all, the alien attack sequences lack suspense and terror.

322/1000. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The "it's too much of a Prometheus sequel!" comments make me more excited. I'm sure there's enough Xeno action and horror for me.

No, it was quite boring for the Shay.

Compared to similar movies - it is solid and holds relatively well for 1 viewing. But I have no incentive whatsoever to see it again. Very little of the creatures or vistas that you haven't seen in the trailers. And what's a good scifi without eye candy?

They should really stop making those. You hear us, Ridley? Stop!!

Alien 2 - even 3 and 4 - were good and somehow fresh, for their time at least. This time is long gone. The Aliens are but a bore now. This won't make much money.

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

People trying to compare these to Alien and Aliens are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

Yeah, I don't care about the original - but Aliens is indeed brilliant action.

While this here is NO action at all, just one or two action scenes.

Edited by shayhiri

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

I have to be honest...I like the PREDATOR creature more than ALIEN. ALIEN is just an overgrown penis with fangs.

Is this meant to be a criticism? Because that sounds like a huge, long plus to me.

I know this films drawing a lot of mixed reactions but count me in the group that really liked it and I am not a fan of Prometheus. I thought the answers this provided were a lot more thought provoking and I loved certain elements that I didn't see coming which I won't get into to avoid spoilers. I heard that the characters were all really stupid beforehand but I didn't think any of their decisions were as dumb as some of the stuff in Prometheus. Yes some wander away during moments they shouldn't (classic horror cliches) but outside of that, everything else is curiosity. There's no scene where a scientist is saying how cute a creature is that is clearly terrifying and trying to touch it. There are also no really cheesy moments like the Weyland daughter reveal or the Irish guy coming back to life or the Prometheus school of running away from things.

But some people aren't going to like the answers this movie gives. Some people aren't going to like that the actual xenomorph isn't in it that much or is mostly CGI. I was worried about the shower scene from the trailers and thankfully the characters reasoning to put themselves there is understandable.

Definitely not in the same league as Alien or Aliens but better then all the others. Highly recommend revisiting Prometheus before going to see this if you haven't seen it in awhile as this is definitely a sequel to it.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 6

Oh and god damn is this movie gorgeous in IMAX 2D. I could tell it was still shot by Scott during certain scenes due to the way the camera would focus in. But yeah, overall it left me thinking about it the entire time I drove home which is a lot more then I can say for other stuff I've seen this year. It's not just a simple monster movie.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 11:20 AM, Jessie said:

Come on guys seriously. Its like when you were young and your parents always said 'you can watch anything you like but never watch the exorcist" only to go againdt their word' watch it out of curiousity only to realise it isnt scary. What was scary back then isn't now

The Exorcist is still pretty damn creepy. Huge horror fan and that movie never fails to give me an unsettling feeling. And Alien is one of the very few that can make me jump from the jump scares...and no loud music is required. The atmosphere sells it.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Okay. Watched Prometheus* which means I'm all caught up in the franchise! I guess I'm ready for Alien: Covenant tomorrow.

*I liked Alien 3: Special Edition better than Prometheus

• Like 4

You know, it's just sad that movies like these have a much tougher time finding its audience when pretty much every generic comic book movie gets you twice or in many cases thrice the return. I want more of the former, less of the latter.

Just something i need to get off my chest. Every once in a while...

• Like 8