The Movie Man

Do you prefer going to Movies Alone or with Others?????

Movie Viewings  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Can you go to the Movies Alone or By Yourself?

• YES
    • NO NEVER
  2. 2. FAVORITE MOVIE VIEWING GROUP

• ALONE
    • ONE OTHER PERSON
    • A COUPLE OF PEOPLE
    • A BIG GROUP

Appears a lot of you guys are not very social...I was the same during my teens then I realize I should become more social or suffer...Yes its annoying to make small talk...It depends really ^^^ I always have had fun by my self but I always have more fun in the company of good friends...Watching TA at home was a lot of fun but it was way better with my friends.

Trying to make the argument that going to the cinema alone (when you watch in silence anyway) makes one "not very social" is ridiculous. I'm not even going say anything else, because that argument doesn't merit anything else being said.
  • Like 4

I have zero problem going to a movie alone.  I have done it way too many times to count.  I only have a handful of friends that even like going to the theater so I am not going to wait.  

Now do I like going to a movie with a group of people?  Of course. I get free screenings with my group of people and it is fun.   But I don't need them to see or enjoy a movie.

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Appears a lot of you guys are not very social...

I was the same during my teens then I realize I should become more social or suffer...

Yes its annoying to make small talk...

It depends really ^^^ I always have had fun by my self but I always have more fun in the company of good friends...

Watching TA at home was a lot of fun but it was way better with my friends.

If I want to be social I'll go out on the town or go to a house party. Movies for me can be just as good individual experience as it can be a social experience. It depends very much on the type of movie.

• Like 5

I actually prefer going to the movies alone. Well, I dont have experience of having a girlfriend to go with, I'm sure thats better than going alone, but I just enjoy being by myself and quiet for two hours, enjoying the movie with no pressures or having to socialize.

That's me as well.  I like going to the theater and just getting lost in the film.  I do enjoy event films like SW and superhero films with a group, but even then I can watch them alone.  It started for me in highschool when I became obsessed with film and no one wanted to go as much as I did, so I went alone.  That started at about 15.

• Like 4

And I agree with all of you who say that movies are not a social event, or at least it doesn't mean you are reclusive or sheltered from society if you prefer going alone.

• Like 1

If I want to be social I'll go out on the town or go to a house party. Movies for me can be just as good individual experience as it can be a social experience. It depends very much on the type of movie.

The way it works for me is that going out to a theater is not very common unlike many guys on here who go out many times a month.

So to me going to a theater is like going out and becomes a social event as we usually have dinner before or after and chill out for the night. 

I do understand when I watch movies at home I watch them alone almost 99% of the time. 

I think that is where the divergence is coming from...

People who go to theater many times a year (like many times a month) vs people who go less then 10 times a year. 

I still watch a lot of movies and 99% of the time I watch them at home by myself...

For example this year in Theaters I have only watched Identity Thief as my friends wanted to see it and Iron Man 3.

I will 100% watch Fast Six and Man of Steel... Want to watch Star Trek but none of my friends are interested enough to watch it in theaters. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I almost always go to the movies with at least someone, but every once in a while, I just want to be alone. The first time I ever went alone was a little less than a few years ago. I had a shitty day at school, got into a huge argument with my mom, so instead of going home, I just went straight to the mall to watch DH1 on IMAX (my fifth viewing - lol). It felt good to be alone.

The way it works for me is that going out to a theater is not very common unlike many guys on here who go out many times a month.

So to me going to a theater is like going out and becomes a social event as we usually have dinner before or after and chill out for the night. 

I do understand when I watch movies at home I watch them alone almost 99% of the time. 

I think that is where the divergence is coming from...

People who go to theater many times a year (like many times a month) vs people who go less then 10 times a year. 

I still watch a lot of movies and 99% of the time I watch them at home by myself...

For example this year in Theaters I have only watched Identity Thief as my friends wanted to see it and Iron Man 3.

I will 100% watch Fast Six and Man of Steel... Want to watch Star Trek but none of my friends are interested enough to watch it in theaters. 

I'm just saying don't assume people are anti-social because they choose to go to the movies alone.Not that there is anything wrong with not being a party animal. Different strokes for different folks.

The alone/with someone split is about 50/50 for me. It depends on the movie and whether I know anyone who will want to go see it.

Of course, having a close friend who is a massive movie nerd didn't hurt over the course of the last two years - except for the time she made me see Hansel & Gretel so that she could watch Jeremy Renner in tight leather.

I don't MIND going to a movie by myself- it was fine with Pines and 42 and Oblivion in the past month. It's just more fun to have people to chill and bullshit with before the movie starts, and to talk about the movie with afterwards. Different strokes for different folks, but I always prefer company.