#ED

Weekend Estimate #s FF6: 34.5 NYSM 27.8 AE: 27.3 TH3: 15.9

BTC has a rosier outlook on After Earth, though after last week I don't know how much stock people will be putting into their projections: 

BTC 2PM Update 1THAE (10/11.5/8.1) 29.6, NYSME (8.0/8.8/5.7) 22.5 -- Details inside

Posted by: whitewalls on May 31, 15:21

1THAE Current Matinee Gross: $827,425

-60% below Oblivion

2% above Jack The Giant Slayer

-69% below Men In Black 3

-44% below Rise of the Planet of the Apes

NYSME Current Matinee Gross: $710,061

-44% below Super 8

221% above limitless

180% above 21

20% above Warm Bodies

:ph34r:

:lol::rofl:

Edited by Ent

If After Earth comes in under $20m, I can't think up a logical reason why M. Night would ever get a blockbuster project again.... Selling his soul to the devil maybe? But he may have already done that when Sixth Sense came out.  :lol:

Except this would not be on him.  His name was nowhere to be found in the marketing.  This is all on The Smith Clan.  They wrote it and produced it and starred in it.  His whole family had their hands in it.  So MNS will get a pass on this one.

• Like 1

Except this would not be on him.  His name was nowhere to be found in the marketing.  This is all on The Smith Clan.  They wrote it and produced it and starred in it.  His whole family had their hands in it.  So MNS will get a pass on this one.

I don't see that exactly happening, especially with the kind of critical reception it's getting. I'm getting "final nail in the coffin" vibes here.

BTC has a rosier outlook on After Earth, though after last week I don't know how much stock people will be putting into their projections: 

BTC 2PM Update 1THAE (10/11.5/8.1) 29.6, NYSME (8.0/8.8/5.7) 22.5 -- Details inside

Posted by: whitewalls on May 31, 15:21

1THAE Current Matinee Gross: $827,425

-60% below Oblivion

2% above Jack The Giant Slayer

-69% below Men In Black 3

-44% below Rise of the Planet of the Apes

NYSME Current Matinee Gross: $710,061

-44% below Super 8

221% above limitless

180% above 21

20% above Warm Bodies

I think they are overestimating 1THAE. This is a movie that should do well in matinees as its demo skews younger and more African American compared to other movies. Jack the Giant Slayer is not a good comparison, MIB3 is.

I feel like M. Night's career is some kind of performance art thing with a twist at the end like when he's 80 fucking years old he's gonna make a goddamn masterpiece that's the best thing ever that can also explain why all his other shit had to be as crappy as it was for this whole thing to work, and we'll all bow down to him as the greatest fucking cinematic genius on the planet. That's gotta be it.

Every single one of M. Night's films takes place in the same reality. Even The Last Airbender, which is the third act of a trilogy.

The Happening: Earth rejects humans and tries to kill them off

After Earth: Humans return to Earth after 1,000 years to reclaim it and understand the planet in a new way

The Last Airbender: Many thousands of years later humans have devolved technologically but evolved mentally and physically as part of their new connection to Earth and have gained the ability to harness natural elements of the planet as a result

• Like 1

I don't see that exactly happening, especially with the kind of critical reception it's getting. I'm getting "final nail in the coffin" vibes here.

He didn't write it nor was he involved in the marketing.  Shyamalan taking the blame for this would be like Gabrielle Muccino taking the blame for Playing For Keeps.

After Earth looked awful from the beginning. Now that it's actually proven to be awful, who's gonna spend hard earned money on this when we've just had a massive influx of blockbusters? Especially with memorial weekend just gone. There are far more interesting blockbusters coming up, and people are obviosuly waiting for MOS now.

• Like 1

He didn't write it nor was he involved in the marketing.  Shyamalan taking the blame for this would be like Gabrielle Muccino taking the blame for Playing For Keeps.

People are throwing the blame to Shyamalan because he's Shyamalan. Like I said in the other thread that's probably why Smith picked him. :lol:

• Like 1

No way he'll get a pass. Directors ultimately get a lot of the credit or blame regardless of who writes and produces.

I think they are overestimating 1THAE. This is a movie that should do well in matinees as its demo skews younger and more African American compared to other movies. Jack the Giant Slayer is not a good comparison, MIB3 is.

They lost all credibility with me last week when they projected from weak matinees that Hangover 3 would shoot up to 20M on its first day.

Yep, audiences are sick of Will Smith??? (assuming many don't know he is not the lead actor)

No, but they probably are a bit tired of the mediocre-poor movies he's been making.  His last somewhat good movie was I AM LEGEND.

• Like 1

People are throwing the blame to Shyamalan because he's Shyamalan. Like I said in the other thread that's probably why Smith picked him. :lol:

People here are blaming Shyamalan....that's about 20 movie nerds.  The execs and the rest of the public will blame Smith (s)

• Like 1

Will Smith is responsible for this mess.  He has deliberatly put his son in first line, exposing him to the backlash at 15,  giving him the lead role in a massively neglected vanity project. All this because of his obsession to make his family the next Barrymore's dynasty.

Jaden is a spoiled and arrogant brat but he still a child who may not be emotionally prepared to carry part of the responsability for this failure of epic proportions.

• Like 5