Olive

Monday #'s:MU 11.02,WWZ 7.67,MOS 4.54,TITE 1.9, NYSM 1.1

Although, it does go to show how the time when you see a movie effects how you view it at first. For the first 10-15 minutes of The Prestige I was thinking," what gives Alfred the right to lecture Bruce Wayne"?

One could wonder the same thing while watching a Batman movie. B)

I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who see the Marvel logo in front of all the X-Men movies and keep waiting for Wolverine to show up in the next Avengers movie.

True.   I've actually heard people wonder why the following characters were not in Avengers:

Spider-Man

Superman

Batman

Fantastic Four

Not only does the general public not know the ins and outs of the Marvel deal with other studios...they don't appear to even know the difference between Marvel and DC! :D    The online battle between Marvel and DC?  ...that may just be the most irrelevant effort in human history.   Massive waste of keystrokes.

The reviews didn't matter. Film opened to nearly $130m in 3.5 days.

I would say the reviews are representative of what the WoM has ended up being.   Saying it has similar legs to IM3 is nothing to brag about since IM3 opened about 50 million higher and of course should have had bigger drops than MoS because of that.

Take ticket avg and applying it on films with grain of salt, so many factor that can influence individual titles, censor ratings (G vs PG vs R ),what formats etc and then if you try and assume 3d/imax etc increases to add(added to this is what % of BO is 3D and or Imax it might be 30% on one title and 60% on another and don't try and base it simply of OW)., but of cause if you have nothing else to go on.

thru this together  based on some other countries just because data is easier

$local

Australia in 2012 tkt avg 13.1 all formats (G rated film 11.92(including 3d/imax titles),R 12.96) Min/Max ranged from $8.31 to $14.50

Germany

2013 todate

ticket avg 7.98 (3D 10.07 +26% over avg, 2d 7.54)

so far more than 11 films that didn't have 3D and or Imax are over average

MOS 10.06 +26% over avg, 45% above SR ( 3D 10.46 31% over avg, 2D 8.04)

FF6  8.09

DJ 8.80

STID 10.57 (3D 11.02 +38%,2D 8.1)

OZ 10.17 (3D 10.32 +50% over 2D, 2D 6.85)

SR 2006 6.90

Spain

2013 todate

ticket avg 6.88 (3D 8.40 +22% over avg, 2d 6.80, Imax 10.25 49% over)

MOS

MOS 7.27 +6% over avg, 40% above SR ( 3D 8.01 16% over avg, 2D 6.80, Imax 10.86 50% over)

FF6 6.59

DJ  6.95

IM3 7.09 +4% over avg (3D 8.76  2D 6.78, Imax 11.44)

Croods 6.88 ,% of 3D BO was low  (3D 8.20, 2D 6.48)

SR 5.17

S-Man 5.60 (Imax 7.00)

X-men 5.27

Posted Image

Not only does the general public not know the ins and outs of the Marvel deal with other studios...they don't appear to even know the difference between Marvel and DC! :D    The online battle between Marvel and DC?  ...that may just be the most irrelevant effort in human history.   Massive waste of keystrokes.

Ha ha well its like when there was this commercial for some film called "The Relic" I hear a bunch of people in the audience clapping and going "JURASSIC PARK 2!!!"

I remember thinking "I highly doubt Jurassic Park switched studios and is rated R now"

But yeah people in 2008 on the forums kept on bringing up that argument that Hulk 2008 would do much better when I kept on saying that people were going "way too soon the last one sucked"

I don't know about that WileE. Now You See Me has a rotten RT score and is having some great legs.

Heh I think I may have put my foot in my mouth when I typed that up but here goes. In hindsight NYSM run could be due to great WOM despite the overall bad reviews. Plus the marketing provided a very good hook. Magicians to do a bank heist is a pretty cool concept. They've done con artists, car heists, thieves, etc. My point about reviews is that it is still one piece of information that people on the fence will use to determine whether or not to go. To say they are irrelevant i dont believe is true otherwise why would we have paid critics. The GA is definitely more forgiving than critics but I've seen or been part of numerous times where critic reviews have helped decide whether or not to watch a movie. Just my 2¢

Heh I think I may have put my foot in my mouth when I typed that up but here goes. In hindsight NYSM run could be due to great WOM despite the overall bad reviews. Plus the marketing provided a very good hook. Magicians to do a bank heist is a pretty cool concept. They've done con artists, car heists, thieves, etc.My point about reviews is that it is still one piece of information that people on the fence will use to determine whether or not to go. To say they are irrelevant i dont believe is true otherwise why would we have paid critics. The GA is definitely more forgiving than critics but I've seen or been part of numerous times where critic reviews have helped decide whether or not to watch a movie.Just my 2¢

Now that I think back on it I guess that's what probably happened to Bourne Legacy. :lol:

• Like 1

Heh I think I may have put my foot in my mouth when I typed that up but here goes. In hindsight NYSM run could be due to great WOM despite the overall bad reviews. Plus the marketing provided a very good hook. Magicians to do a bank heist is a pretty cool concept. They've done con artists, car heists, thieves, etc.My point about reviews is that it is still one piece of information that people on the fence will use to determine whether or not to go. To say they are irrelevant i dont believe is true otherwise why would we have paid critics. The GA is definitely more forgiving than critics but I've seen or been part of numerous times where critic reviews have helped decide whether or not to watch a movie.Just my 2¢

I agree with this. MY dad is the definiton of GA and randomly saw a trailer on tv for MOS and I went t osee it with him. When we got to the movie theater he mentioned reading reviews about how there was too much action or something in the finale of the movie. The GA does read reviews, 

Rth. Do you have Labor caucus numbers for Rudd and Gillard. It's on again. We could have a new Prime Minister in the next few hours. Gillard, Rudd or maybe Abbott.

Well what is interesting is how I often notice that rotten films seem to have more positive reviews in the TV spots then fresh ones.

(Hey I saw a TV spot for the DVD release of Escape from Planet Earth recently, and I was thinking that if I didn't know better, based off the reviews they were using, that it was the best animated film ever)

Rth. Do you have Labor caucus numbers for Rudd and Gillard.It's on again. We could have a new Prime Minister in the next few hours. Gillard, Rudd or maybe Abbott.

why bring that political bickering into this boxoffice forum?

Edited by rickfox

I was going to say just "below average", but I just took a look at the drops for Monday June 25 last year, and the worst drop in the top 12 was only 56%, so yeah, 64% is bad.

Its not a bad drop considering the competion is so huge taking away some audience.

I think what is happening to MoS is kind of clear. It was the event movie that ended up not being so much of an event past the first weekend.

What's happening to it is that it's just another normal frontloaded superhero movie. This is pretty much how all big SH movies perform unless they get TDK/TA WOM. 2.4-2.6x multis. That's what makes those 2 movie's multis so impressive.

I haven't been on in nearly a day so when I saw 43 pages and saw MU made 11M+, I thought people were gushing over the number instead most of the 43 pages were people crying over MOS and discussing spoilers out in the open. Absolutely ridiculous, MU had nearly the same hold as TS3 and somehow people only talk about MOS. You know there are other releases out there. Hold is mighty impressive and I think 300M is happening.  :D

• Like 5

I haven't been on in nearly a day so when I saw 43 pages and saw MU made 11M+, I thought people were gushing over the number instead most of the 43 pages were people crying over MOS and discussing spoilers out in the open. Absolutely ridiculous, MU had nearly the same hold as TS3 and somehow people only talk about MOS. You know there are other releases out there. Hold is mighty impressive and I think 300M is happening.  :D

I talked about WWZ hope it can make it to 200