CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Turbo - 5.6M

ryan reynolds is terrible. a few animated movies isn't enough. live action he is hopeless. safe house is denzel who is still a proven box office draw

Animated movies absolutely don't count when it comes to actor's boxoffice because animation is a draw. Going by that logic, Jay Baruchel and that really REALLY Fugly Betty were main draws for HTTYD, right? Right? Nobody knows who the fuck those people are.

• Like 2

Expected 4-5m due to this being a kid's movie so it's better than what I expected.

Baumer is spot on. Kids go see movies for the characters not the actors.

No kid in the whole damn world went to see Toy Story because they saw Tom Hanks and Tim Allen's names lol They went to see Woody and Buzz.

You mean when Woody and Buzz are walking around Disneyland, kids aren't disappointed they're not seeing Hanks and Allen

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

DM2 -18%

GU2 -19%

PR drop does not look that bad now, right?

At this point, it needs a giant Friday increase and I'm not sure it's possible in late July. It's looking at high 50's for drop this weekend which means 100M will be a struggle. 

The IMAX effect was stronger a year or two ago, but my perception is that actually it's not. MoS had IMAX, right? Its Wednesdays aren't better than the rest of films.

I would think IMAX is the only reason MoS stabilized after the 2nd weekend drop. MoS lost all of its IMAX and it went to shit.I think PR was heavily marketed as an IMAX 3D movie.
  • Like 1

So flops of the summer so far :

After Earth

White House Down

Hangover III

Lone Ranger

Pacific Rim

Turbo

RIPD

I am speaking mostly dom but some of these are already flops ww.

I sincerely doubt IMAX is any smaller now than it was 2 years ago.  There might have been bigger films in IMAX but it is not a smaller venue now.  And PR had very good numbers in IMAX so the drop is big and for the first time since its opening I think you can say that WOM has affected it.

So flops of the summer so far :

After Earth

White House Down

Hangover III

Lone Ranger

Pacific Rim

Turbo

RIPD

I am speaking mostly dom but some of these are already flops ww.

Pacific Rim, Turbo and RIPD have not flopped yet.  RIPD hasn't even opened yet.  Turbo had one day and PR could have a good overseas total.

Do you expect it to be leggy?

Big time.  My theater clapped at the end and it got an A CS.  This will have a very good run imo.

We're on pace for about a 17.5m 2nd weekend/53% 2nd weekend drop, at the moment.  I would personally say that that is not a good hold.  I expected word of mouth to be better than that.

I’m not surprised. Legendary Pictures admitted that they thought that they were going to make money off the geeks with their advertising of Pacific Rim.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

So... Biggest bombs of the summer. Lone Ranger, After Earth and Pacific Rim.

No, the biggest bomb of the summer is the Lone Ranger and R.I.P.D. will be joining it shortly, and then after that White House Down.

After Earth has made some decent money overseas, and Pacific Rim should make more.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic