CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Turbo - 5.6M

$6M is neither good nor bad. This a children's film and these tend to do best on the weekend. Saturday's number could very well be double if not more than today's number, especially since this is an original film and not a sequel. The number is fine. If crappy Sat. numbers come in then we can call this flop. 

For now I think it's an ok number. Only other animated non sequel to open on a Wednesday is Tangled, which did 11m. But that  was the day before Thanksgiving. Tangled probably had a broader audience than Turbo as well. Wait and see what it does this weekend.

Edited by Caladbolg

Expected 4-5m due to this being a kid's movie so it's better than what I expected.

Baumer is spot on. Kids go see movies for the characters not the actors.

No kid in the whole damn world went to see Toy Story because they saw Tom Hanks and Tim Allen's names lol They went to see Woody and Buzz.

• Like 2

This non-sequel original story opened #1 with $5.8M into 3,552 theaters and received a coveted ‘A’ CinemaScore which should help word of mouth by Friday. The 3D toon was followed close behind by Universal/Illumination’s three-week-old 3D toon Despicable Me 2 ($5.6M last night but on its way to $500M worldwide today), #3 Sony/Happy Madison’s Grown-Ups($4.3 for a $55.8M North American cume) and #4 Warner Bros/Legendary’s Pacific  Rim ($3.5M and passing $100M worldwide). 

‘Turbo’ Opens Slowly Wednesday Ahead Of Crowded Worldwide Weekend

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

Ryan Reynolds' box office isn't as bad as people think/remember.

People seem to be forgetting about The Croods, Safe House and The Proposal, but focus on Change Up and Green Lantern.

The Croods $185.7m
Safe House $126.4m
The Change Up $37.1m
Green Lantern $116.6m
The Proposal $164m
X-Men Wolverine $179.9m
Adventureland $16m
Definitely Maybe $32.2
Smoking Aces $35.8m
Just Friends $32.6m
Waiting $16.1m
Amityville Horror $65.2m
Blade 3 $52.4m
The In Laws $20.5m
Van Wilder $21.3m

And small kids won't remember Despicable Me 2 or Monsters Univeristy until their parents buy them a toy from the film, or until it comes out on DVD.

Then their parents will gleefully shove the film on to shut their children up for 2 hours.

• Like 2

Another really bad hold for Pacific Rim.  I honestly thought it would have better word of mouth than this.  We're in for a struggle to $100m.

Not that bad. Yesterday I was expecting something in the -25% range. This is more like a 20% drop.

ryan reynolds is terrible. a few animated movies isn't enough. live action he is hopeless. safe house is denzel who is still a proven box office draw

Edited by Halba

Not that bad. Yesterday I was expecting something in the -25% range. This is more like a 20% drop.

We're on pace for about a 17.5m 2nd weekend/53% 2nd weekend drop, at the moment.  I would personally say that that is not a good hold.  I expected word of mouth to be better than that.

DM2 -18%GU2 -19% PR drop does not look that bad now, right?

It does because IMAX mitigates both increases and drops. So with imax and dropping more than the other two is cause for concern.