Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

14 minutes ago, Rocketracoon said:

Early but Indiana Jones Currently has A 90% Verified Audience score on RT

Just dropped to 84% (74% All Audience). 

EDIT: Verified Audience score is now 87% (79% All Audience).

Edited by 35MM-18

8 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Just dropped to 84% (74% All Audience). 

EDIT: Verified Audience score is now 87% (79% All Audience).

Yeah Verified way more important than all audience here That is probably skewed by the Anti-disney and PWB  weirdos. 

I sense a lot of "coping" energy from the thread, so I thought I'd offer some box office salve posting of my own.

In my years of box office watching there are a couple things I've come to understand about flopping:

Flopping is inevitable. 

Every series will flop eventually. Oh, you say your franchise hasn't flopped? You're right, it hasn't... yet. The only way to evade the Flop Reaper is to quit while you're ahead. It comes for us all. I don't care if you're Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, if you keep pressing your luck at some point you'll get a wammy.

(About the only continuous long-runner you could say has escaped outright flopdom is James Bond thanks to its wide international reach, but even that series has had its share of weak performers in key markets and faced periods of popular irrelevance).

Flopping means shockingly little in the long run.

I've seen so many of my favorite franchises suffer humiliating box office defeats, Alien, Scream, Pokemon, Star Trek, the list goes on, and not one of them has been "killed" by it. Even if it goes into a state of dormancy, flopping is not going to rewrite the history books so its entry becomes "(x) is a dead media franchise that at one point was briefly popular but it was actually just a big fluke and in the end it was a huge failure mwahahaha."

The sting of flopping eventually subsides and becomes merely a trivia point. We still get Tarzan and Peter Pan movies, for crying out loud! There's a damn Dracula movie coming out in a couple months! Hell, it may take another twenty years, but I guarantee you somebody's eventually gonna give The Lone Ranger another go, too. Nothing ever really dies, at worst it just becomes history.

Anyways, I know we all know this, but some box office chicken soup sounds good at the moment. I've been here before. If Indy 5 flops, all it really means is that people are satisfied with the series and don't necessarily need more. It'll get shown on TV, played on streaming, and included in box sets all the same, and regardless Harrison Ford's been on a months-long publicity tour where he gets showered with love and appreciation at every stop so I think he's fine.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Gore Verbinski’s Pirates of the Caribbean is the best "og" trilogy of the 21st century and I won’t tolerate disrespect to their name. It’s truly flawless and it holds up incredibly well. Like I’ve said the other day, we truly need more Gore Verbinski films, I forgive him for The Lone Ranger, that was a mistake.

A Rango sequel is all I need.

1 hour ago, Daf said:

I sense a lot of "coping" energy from the thread, so I thought I'd offer some box office salve posting of my own.

In my years of box office watching there are a couple things I've come to understand about flopping:

Flopping is inevitable. 

Every series will flop eventually. Oh, you say your franchise hasn't flopped? You're right, it hasn't... yet. The only way to evade the Flop Reaper is to quit while you're ahead. It comes for us all. I don't care if you're Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, if you keep pressing your luck at some point you'll get a wammy.

(About the only continuous long-runner you could say has escaped outright flopdom is James Bond thanks to its wide international reach, but even that series has had its share of weak performers in key markets and faced periods of popular irrelevance).

Flopping means shockingly little in the long run.

I've seen so many of my favorite franchises suffer humiliating box office defeats, Alien, Scream, Pokemon, Star Trek, the list goes on, and not one of them has been "killed" by it. Even if it goes into a state of dormancy, flopping is not going to rewrite the history books so its entry becomes "(x) is a dead media franchise that at one point was briefly popular but it was actually just a big fluke and in the end it was a huge failure mwahahaha."

The sting of flopping eventually subsides and becomes merely a trivia point. We still get Tarzan and Peter Pan movies, for crying out loud! There's a damn Dracula movie coming out in a couple months! Hell, it may take another twenty years, but I guarantee you somebody's eventually gonna give The Lone Ranger another go, too. Nothing ever really dies, at worst it just becomes history.

Anyways, I know we all know this, but some box office chicken soup sounds good at the moment. I've been here before. If Indy 5 flops, all it really means is that people are satisfied with the series and don't necessarily need more. It'll get shown on TV, played on streaming, and included in box sets all the same, and regardless Harrison Ford's been on a months-long publicity tour where he gets showered with love and appreciation at every stop so I think he's fine.

Funny you mention scream cause after 4 flopped and wes died i figured the series was over. Not only did it come back but it succeeded without its main star...do I see any of this happening to any continuation of indy after this potential disaster and no harrison Ford? No and thats why I'm sad.

ETA if it was the last and it was successful it would be OK

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 1

it’s in the line with the reviews. In that it was kind of a snoozefest. Harrison Ford being action star again felt like a total Weekend at Bernie’s moment. It was also really hard to hear what he was murmuring aloud. Takes an hour and a half just to get to some tomb raiding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

A Rango sequel is all I need.

Marvel Studios should rehabilitate Gore. It’s been long enough. Give him something crazy he hasn’t done before, the cosmic side of Marvel needs some love now that the Guardians trilogy is finished. Starjammers, Ravagers, idk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Marvel Studios should rehabilitate Gore. It’s been long enough. Give him something crazy he hasn’t done before, the cosmic side of Marvel needs some love now that the Guardians trilogy is finished. Starjammers, Ravagers, idk.

Lord & Miller, Del Toro, and now Verbinski. How many directors that literally cannot work within Marvel's ecosystem are u gonna recommend to work for Marvel?

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Considering the doom and gloom that has been going on already would be not be too bad and with good WOM and a holiday weekend IM 60 would be the floor I think. Massive disappointment yes but no Flash that is for sure. 

60 mil is not the floor. The IM is not going to be that different from usual since July 4 is on Tuesday, not Monday. Idk, the only thing it might have going for is that it might end up having better legs than The Flash.

My dad dozed off during one of the action scenes and I struggled to stay awake a few times because of how boring it was. Never sinks as low as Crystal Skull, but that movie had some high highs at least...this is just middling throughout. 4/10, worst Indy by a country mile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

My dad dozed off during one of the action scenes and I struggled to stay awake a few times because of how boring it was. Never sinks as low as Crystal Skull, but that movie had some high highs at least...this is just middling throughout. 4/10, worst Indy by a country mile.

So those early reviews from Cannes that called this boring and safe were right on the money? 

• Like 4

I quite enjoyed it, myself. It slots behind Raiders and TLC by a good bit, but it's ahead of ToD and Crystal Skull for me. 

Honestly, with how good the de-aging was, I'm curious if they will ever just go that route, maybe not with Indy, but with other iconic characters.  That was impressive. Not quite perfect yet, but very, very good.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I feel like all the 80s and 90s nostalgia properties have been mined to oblivion. Studios should now move on to 2000s. No Way Home was a huge hit largely because of mining the Raimi trilogy nostalgia, so it can work.

The 2000s has already kinda been tapped into with a Harry Potter prequel trilogy, a 4th Matrix movie, the Fast sequels + spin-offs, Avatar: The Way of Water, No Way Home, and the Amazon LOTR show. People are getting nostalgia’d out.