Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I'm sitting beside you then Jayhawk...whose with us and can objectively see that KotCS gets bashed overtly. 

Bring on IJ5!!!

I'm on board with you two. Skull was not the greatest Indy movie, that I give any critic, but the heat it is still getting today is almost ridiculous.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

There will probably eventually be a young Indy reboot but most likely without Spielberg.    Spielberg has said there's only one actor for Indy for him and that's Ford.  They already went the long lost son and it didn't work.   Maybe they'll go with go with a young co-star as a rival.

In my opinion the lost son didn't work because almost everybody and his aunt glared at Shia and the way his character was portrayed. Heck, it might have been that the movie got an additional layer of heat because a good portion of people may have feared that LaBeauf would come out as the future Indy. With a more beloved actor as Indy's son (and a few attitude adjustments) this character should have done fine.

Storywise, if they setup the new movie somewhere in the late 60s or even the earliy 70s (Ford will have aged another ten years since Skull until this has been done or even starts shooting) and put Cooper besides Indy (with Cooper playing Indy's son)... what can I say: it would work for me. Of course, I have read already that adventure / Indy movies work best in time setting where there yet were "white spots" all over the world map. However, the Uncharted video games saga begs to differ. Narratively, this series is working just fine in a modern environment. Can't see why this would not work for an Indy movie.

3 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Make it happen...

Fate_of_Atlantis_artwork.jpg

Hmmm, I am torn with this. It's like with the excellent Ghostbusters video game that came out a few years ago. While the story of the video game would make for an fantastic Ghostbuster movie, well, I would already know about the story/twists/surprises and expect the movie to represent/resemble the story of the game as true as possible. Since we all know that making movies is quite different from making games, there would certainly be some adjustments necessary that might kill the movie for "us". Better to start off with a fresh story don't you think?

8 minutes ago, Clef Ment said:

Ford is too old for this, seriously the guy will be around 75...

Cooper or Pratt please.

Pah, you're biased! (glares at your avatar) ;op

Yes, Ford would be very old, maybe too old for this kind of adventure movie, but since I have seen Trejo in Badass just lately, I'll give that the shadow of the doubt. Also, they were able to put Ford in scene quite lively in Force Awakens. Heck, they could even go the Crusade road if everything else fails.

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

A 2020 Indiana Jones movie would take place in 1969 if it stays true to the timeline (Last Crusade took place in 1938 and Crystal Skull in 1957). Maybe have Vietnam and Southeast Asia as a backdrop?

I don't know... this would place the movie in the uncomfortable era of the Vietnam war. Don't know if they should thread ground there and then. Given, there were short episodes in Crusade taking place in the middle of Nazi-Deutschland, but never in the middle of a war zone. Hard to imagine to place Indy against the background of one of the Indochina wars. In fact, it makes my skin crawl. Africa/South-America would do just fine for me. Himalaya too.

It's weird, the alien theme of KotCS was supposed to fit with the 50s setting, but it was honestly so Erich von Danniken/"Chariots of the Gods"-lite (aliens built the pyramids, etc.) that it almost would have made sense to have the entry set in the 60s/70s be the one about ancient aliens...

Late 60s/early 70s would be a good period to work in Atlantis, or the Bermuda Triangle, or any of the other non-alien-type stuff you'd have seen Leonard Nimoy talking about on any given episode of In Search Of. Or maybe some kind of Eastern mysticism stuff of the kind that was popular with hippies and New Agers. (Or if they wanted to tie it into the dominant not-of-this-world theme of movies of the era in which the film is set, like Lucas tried to do with KotCS, they could venture into something Satanic...how "wrong" for the franchise would you folks consider Indy vs. the devil vis a vis Indy vs. aliens? It is still religious to a degree...)

Point is, the era was rife with all sorts of weird spiritual/supernatural stuff floating around the zeitgeist, they could certainly tap into some of it...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

It's weird, the alien theme of KotCS was supposed to fit with the 50s setting, but it was honestly so Erich von Danniken/"Chariots of the Gods"-lite (aliens built the pyramids, etc.) that it almost would have made sense to have the entry set in the 60s/70s be the one about ancient aliens...

Late 60s/early 70s would be a good period to work in Atlantis, or the Bermuda Triangle, or any of the other non-alien-type stuff you'd have seen Leonard Nimoy talking about on any given episode of In Search Of. Or maybe some kind of Eastern mysticism stuff of the kind that was popular with hippies and New Agers. (Or if they wanted to tie it into the dominant not-of-this-world theme of movies of the era in which the film is set, like Lucas tried to do with KotCS, they could venture into something Satanic...how "wrong" for the franchise would you folks consider Indy vs. the devil vis a vis Indy vs. aliens? It is still religious to a degree...)

Point is, the era was rife with all sorts of weird spiritual/supernatural stuff floating around the zeitgeist, they could certainly tap into some of it...

Bermuda Triangle sounds interresting. Indy vs. the Devil... not so much. I mean, I remember two big Stars doing that (Eddie Murphy at the prime of his game and Arnold in his later years) - and the outcome of this: decent to bad flicks, halfway successful but not necessarily Box Office dynamite to go wild about. Don't know if the Pacino/Reeves movie did much better (I think it had the same costs/income ratio as End of Days). Maybe better to leave the Devil to his own game, besides genre movies like Prince of Darkness or The Prophecy that is. Though Constantine wasn't burning up the night either (which is a shame, I love this movie quite a lot).

48 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Bermuda Triangle sounds interresting. Indy vs. the Devil... not so much. I mean, I remember two big Stars doing that (Eddie Murphy at the prime of his game and Arnold in his later years) - and the outcome of this: decent to bad flicks, halfway successful but not necessarily Box Office dynamite to go wild about. Don't know if the Pacino/Reeves movie did much better (I think it had the same costs/income ratio as End of Days). Maybe better to leave the Devil to his own game, besides genre movies like Prince of Darkness or The Prophecy that is. Though Constantine wasn't burning up the night either (which is a shame, I love this movie quite a lot).

You did get my point, though? Taking the same route with the 60s/70s setting as Lucas did with the 50s setting, trying to tie it into the supernatural stuff in the pop-culture/movie zeitgeist of the time, would mean substituting alien invasion flicks with the likes of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I agree with you, I don't think that'd be a good idea either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of you know what.  Not for the franchise that hosts one of (if not my #1) all time favorite movie.

It's not the worst movie of the series. That would be Temple of Doom which I still like. 

Edited by Empire