Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

25 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Just saw the jeremy Jahns review and it's apparently on par with Crystal Skull but 30min longer..... which doesn't seem like high praise.

I think movie critics have been a bit warped in the modern climate of movie criticism with the access to movies and potential social media backlash silencing criticism. I hear people like Matt Neglia give faint praise to movies that are totally mid, that they didn’t have to pay to see, and then expect audiences to be enthused to pay to watch them in a theater or something. 

“It isn't as thrilling as earlier adventures, but the nostalgic rush of seeing Harrison Ford back in action helps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny find a few final bits of cinematic treasure.“

Talk about damning a movie with faint praise. This critical consensus just makes IJ5 sound like a competently made slog to be quite honest. 

Previews wont be that important, IMHO. Business for this will spread through 5day opening (until 4th July), with slightly better numbers than DM3.

9M previews

30M OD

25M Saturday

22M Sunday (77M OW) 

16M Monday

14M Tuesday

107M 5day opening

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'd argue the "old guy who can't live up to his ideals" latequel is now a cliche and only really worked for Logan.

Some audiences now actually dread the latequels because they don't want to see their childhood heroes dragged through the mud.

Yeah, I hate the idea of dragging down a popular character in order to build up a new or replacement character. I didn't necessarily get that vibe with Logan but it seems to be a trend lately.

Edited by poweranimals
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

I'd argue the "old guy who can't live up to his ideals" latequel is now a cliche and only really worked for Logan.

Some audiences now actually dread the latequels because they don't want to see their childhood heroes dragged through the mud.

Only TGM was able to do it right from recent legacy sequels. They didn't tear down the orginal characters just to make the new ones look good. It turned into a massive hit for a reason.

FPTgjb3UcAEapYu?format=jpg

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like the idea that Lucasfilm is willing to tell stories about these older heroes, but it’s basically done because Hollywood has virtually no bankable young stars to focus on, and it’s definitely sexist that these 50-90 year old men are still leading men while elderly women aren’t leading ladies. 

• Like 2

300 million budget. 

For what? Have no idea of the quality of the movie but based on presales it's  something  most people don't  want to go see ...

It's the end of June and so far the only franchises I love that exceeded my  expectations   this  year is scream and rocky/creed ...

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, I hate the idea of dragging down a popular character in order to build up a new or replacement character. I didn't necessarily get that vibe with Logan but it seems to be a trend lately.

With Logan it felt like a natural end for the character rather than just an attempt to continue the story forever. (It also didn't hurt that you could basically take Logan as a sort of Elseworlds story if you wanted). A lot of people wanted a send off for Luke Skywalker, but seeing him basically offed in the way he was felt very depressing for the character's arc as a whole.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah I guess . The problem is the excutionwise alot was left to be desired.

An idea is only good  as it's excution. 

This.This.This.

It is amazing how many fans just don't get this.

George Clooney said it best: You can have the best script in the world, but sitll find a thousand way to fuck up in the making of the film.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, budice said:

Tired Indiana Jones week is here. He's old, tired, and just wants to go home 

The Captain America 4 Press tour with Mr Ford is the only reason to look forward to that film..

4 minutes ago, Hades said:

The Captain America 4 Press tour with Mr Ford is the only reason to look forward to that film..

An Afro-American is now Captain America. That alone makes Brave New World one of my most anticipated films of 2024. Add the fact that Ford is General Thunderbolt Ross and likely also a (red) Hulk is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Several good reviews coming in now, some from MetaCritic approved publications. The average on RT has also now gone up to 6.3/10 after sitting around 5.7 for a while.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3