Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The story may be simple but it is executed perfectly. Bullock and Clooney are giving really good and understated performances. I bet it will be just as gripping when I' am gonna revisit it on dvd without the 3D razzle dazzle.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Even with the highly improbable plot mechanics (the fire extinguisher) that allow her to return to earth, the movie still packs an emotional punch in the final scene. That crawl to the beach scene with all the birth-womb imagery could have easily been rolleye inducing but it's almost cathartic. Because the story, as simple as it is, resonated with me.

A-

• Like 6

After now watching the big three of this year (Gravity, American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave) Gravity is best film of the year and an amazing cinema experience. This should take a number of Oscars in particular best director, visual effects and cinematography  

• Like 1

I would put Gravity over those 2 films as well. 

One thing I like about this film is that unlike many other recent films it did not go for that dark angle.

For example having Sandra die at the end and making the entire film as a journey. I liked how it ended on a positive note. 

However I still do not understand how on earth people thought Sandra was going to die?? Have you people notice the general flow of films ? The films visuals were great but the story line was a rather simple line. 

Like there was a whole 10 minute scene of her accepting death and then Clooney comes in like Obi Wan to wake her back up.

Then she goes down into earth with a grand score playing and the film shows how she has evolved as a person?

How can anyone think she was going to die? I just do not understand... 

I think that is why I never was not on the edge of the seat for the end of the film and perhaps not blown away as many others for this film. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

This is probably the most intense film I've ever seen if my life. This expression gets thrown around a lot in the movie world but when I saw I saw literally on the edge of my seat for a majority of the film's runtime - I legitimately mean it. Bullock gave the performance of a lifetime here and Cuaron's fantastic direction gave it more depth, scale, and life than I could imagine. Not only that, this film manages to be a more effective horror movie than any I've seen recently. It doesn't try to be, but just the overall situations our protagonist is put into really strikes that eerily creepy, unsettling vibe. The visuals were fantastic and the score was effective.

Overall, I'd say this is one of my favorite movies in a long time. A+

• Like 2

About this film, many say they on the edge of the seat the entire film. 

I do not think I get into movies as much as many do on this forum. 

Perhaps it requires to put your entire mind into the world of the movie and I can't do that. 

About this film, many say they on the edge of the seat the entire film. 

I do not think I get into movies as much as many do on this forum. 

Perhaps it requires to put your entire mind into the world of the movie and I can't do that. 

Did you watch it in IMAX 3D? Cause that makes a hell lot more difference.

Edited by vc2002

One of the problems I had with this film was when Bullock started imagining Clooney there as comfort. This is used in so many films and it always annoys me, especially when she's only been on her own for a few hours, she isn't going to start hallucinating that soon, maybe after a few days. When she started talking to herself it had to be the cheesiest thing id seen in cinemas all year. This is pure style over substance at its finest.

Edited by Jessie

One of the problems I had with this film was when Bullock started imagining Clooney there as comfort. This is used in so many films and it always annoys me, especially when she's only been on her own for a few hours, she isn't going to start hallucinating that soon, maybe after a few days. When she started talking to herself it had to be the cheesiest thing id seen in cinemas all year. This is pure style over substance at its finest.

She was hallucinating because of the lack of oxygen. That's going to happen a lot faster than a couple of days.
  • Like 3

The point is though when Clooney came back (in Spirit), anyone who watches film should have realized that Sandra was 100% going to live. 

I fail to see how people were getting all edgy and nervous that Sandra was not going to live.