Gravity (2013)  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

See, I knew Clooney died going into it. The tension wasn't about who made it out, it was ARE they going to make it out. You assumed she was going to survive, I didn't.This isn't 127 Hours where we ultimately know the outcome. It could have gone either way and you had a 50/50 chance to guess correctly and you did.

I knew too 

I mean the trailer practically gives it away that he's gonna be dying 

However, I find it very odd that all these moviegoers ( you and me included ) thought that the outcome would be any different that the satisfactory ? I mean the movie does go by-numbers regarding plot so there was no reason to assume it would pull Buried on us ... once the emotional monologues started I was just praying for something to shock me in order to make me care about anything that was happening on screen 

And, mind you, I did care in the first 30 minutes 

Now I won't be seeing this again in theaters because 1 I didn't like it obviously and 2 cause tickets were so damn expensive and I payed for my GF and me ( yeah it sucks I know ) but I am actually eager to check it out again down the road since I am truly lost at the reception for this movie 

I feel like either everyone's being fooled or I simply don't get the joke 

Another thing - unnecessary sexualization 

I am no expert so correct me if I'm wrong but don't astronauts wear diapers when in space suits ? I find it hard to believe that they ( females especially ) wear such revealing underwear and nothing else except that ? If you are going for realism then go for realism don't let actress and her agent interfere with requests to show off her body in the sexiest way possible 

The space diaper thing I saw on some documentary a while back ... apparently during take off, landing and while in outer space they HAVE to wear that thing 

• Like 1

Not gonna spoil anything but let me just say if you do go see Gravity or more like when you do go see Gravity, I would recommend seeing this movie on the biggest screen possible with 3D. The film is such a beautiful breath taking experience that made me just say WOW. The visuals were so jaw dropping that I just took in every little detail possible. The movie really does a great job making you feel like you were really in space. Gravity is gonna take home the Oscar for effects and cinematography. Sandra Bullock will no doubt get an Oscar nomination for her strong and powerful performance. I really want to go see this again, I don't know if I will be able too but HOLY CRAP this movie deserves to be seen on the big screen. Do yourself a favor, take some time out of your weekend, go see Gravity and have your mind blown to SPACE.

Grade: A

My assumption about who's going to live and/or die doesn't change my entertainment value. After all, this is a significantly budgeted Hollywood movie with only a couple of actors. Do we seriously think they're all going to die? Did I think Tom Hanks was going to die in CAST AWAY? No. Do I think Bruce Willis is gonna die in DIE HARD? No. There are countless movies where we essentially know the basics of the ultimate outcome going in: basically, every major action/adventure movie that comes out.

The interesting aspect is: how exactly are they going to make it? Why are they going to survive? Her motivation and decision to struggle on is just as key as the fact that she does survive.

btw, if you're curious about what specifically the movie got right (and wrong) about actual physics, here's Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/ba_movie_review_gravity.html (spoilers abound)

btw, I hardly found Bullock to be "sexualized" -- that's basically the attire they wear on the ISS and underneath all that other crap they have to wear (which, yes, they didn't bother showing).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 7

My assumption about who's going to live and/or die doesn't change my entertainment value. After all, this is a significantly budgeted Hollywood movie with only a couple of actors. Do we seriously think they're all going to die? Did I think Tom Hanks was going to die in CAST AWAY? No. Do I think Bruce Willis is gonna die in DIE HARD? No. There are countless movies where we essentially know the basics of the ultimate outcome going in: basically, every major action/adventure movie that comes out.The interesting aspect is: how exactly are they going to make it? Why are they going to survive? Her motivation and decision to struggle on is just as key as the fact that she does survive.btw, if you're curious about what specifically the movie got right (and wrong) about actual physics, here's Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy:http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/ba_movie_review_gravity.html (spoilers abound)btw, I hardly found Bullock to be "sexualized" -- that's basically the attire they wear on the ISS and underneath all that other crap they have to wear (which, yes, they didn't bother showing).

Well, thanks to the trailer I knew Hanks would get off the island. Always bothered me, but the point of the movie wasn't, "does he make if off the island", but rather, "how does he survive." Same thing with Gravity.
  • Like 1

It is pretty much a given that the main character will survive in the end. That is the Hollywood way and not a reason to bash the film.

My question to those who did not like the film, did you see it in 3D because this is that one film where you actually do need to see it in 3D to fully appreciate it. Without a doubt, the best ever execution of 3D.

I was 5 in 1977.  I didn't see Star Wars in theater.  But this must have been what it was like to witness the giant space freighter gliding across the screen for the first time.  I was mesmerized by this film.  The story itself is good, very good even, but the look of the film and the way it was filmed leads me to believe it was filmed in space.  I was shocked all the way through.  I simply couldn't believe I was watching a movie.

I read reviews before I saw it so I too knew Clooney died, didn't matter.  A film can still have an emotional resonance even if you know everything going in.

9/10

• Like 6

It is pretty much a given that the main character will survive in the end. That is the Hollywood way and not a reason to bash the film.

My question to those who did not like the film, did you see it in 3D because this is that one film where you actually do need to see it in 3D to fully appreciate it. Without a doubt, the best ever execution of 3D.

Since I'm the only person in the world that didn't like it I guess I'll answer 

YES 

Still didn't like it 

I watched this in IMAX 3D on the largest screen in New England this afternoon. I read enough review summaries on Rotten Tomatoes saying, "GO SEE THIS NOW, IN 3D, AND ON THE LARGEST SCREEN POSSIBLE," that I knew I had to see this ASAP.

Gravity really is remarkable. Although the whole feature really is a grandiose spectacle, there are arguably 3 or 4 money shots that come to mind from the film that left my draw dropped throughout. About 2/3 of the way into the movie, the long sequence where Stone (Sandra Bullock) is detaching a parachute from her escape pod while the next burst of Russian debris hits the ISS is without equal; singularly, it is the most impressive movie sequence ever on the big screen. Those 3 to 5 minutes alone are worth the price of admission to see this. That there are additionally impressive scenes complementing it throughout is a bonus. And then the fuck-you-hollywood-genericism-I'm-a-talanted-director-and-thus-will-include-thought-provoking-artsy-moments shots of Stone floating in the fetal position after entering the womb of the ISS as an oxygen hose behind her is framed as that of an umbilical cord, or the final scene as she weakly emerges from the water reborn with a new lease on life... it's just so gratuitous of Director Alfonso Cuaron to have included so many brilliantly constructed shots into one 91-minute picture. 91 MINUTES!!! I swear this felt longer than The Dark Knight. Every scene mattered and the stakes in this survival story resonate so well with the audience--there was clapping after my showing.

100/100, A+, *****, hope this sweeps the sh*t out of the Oscars this year!

[smug alert, see below]

And to the folks that don't/didn't enjoy this picture, I say in the sincerest and most well-meaning way possible that you should take a couple college-level classes in cinematic studies... or at the very least try to audit one. Five years ago I would not have appreciated this picture the way I did today, and it's entirely because of the insight I learned behind filmmakers' methods of sharing their art. There are many books and even documentaries discussing the themes and intricacies used throughout cinematic history that really accentuate the experience and help you identify the difference between art & garbage. (***and for the record, just because a film might be garbage doesn't mean it isn't fun to watch time to time)

• Like 4

I watched this in IMAX 3D on the largest screen in New England this afternoon. I read enough review summaries on Rotten Tomatoes saying, "GO SEE THIS NOW, IN 3D, AND ON THE LARGEST SCREEN POSSIBLE," that I knew I had to see this ASAP.

Gravity really is remarkable. Although the whole feature really is a grandiose spectacle, there are arguably 3 or 4 money shots that come to mind from the film that left my draw dropped throughout. About 2/3 of the way into the movie, the long sequence where Stone (Sandra Bullock) is detaching a parachute from her escape pod while the next burst of Russian debris hits the ISS is without equal; singularly, it is the most impressive movie sequence ever on the big screen. Those 3 to 5 minutes alone are worth the price of admission to see this. That there are additionally impressive scenes complementing it throughout is a bonus. And then the fuck-you-hollywood-genericism-I'm-a-talanted-director-and-thus-will-include-thought-provoking-artsy-moments shots of Stone floating in the fetal position after entering the womb of the ISS as an oxygen hose behind her is framed as that of an umbilical cord, or the final scene as she weakly emerges from the water reborn with a new lease on life... it's just so gratuitous of Director Alfonso Cuaron to have included so many brilliantly constructed shots into one 91-minute picture. 91 MINUTES!!! I swear this felt longer than The Dark Knight. Every scene mattered and the stakes in this survival story resonate so well with the audience--there was clapping after my showing.

100/100, A+, *****, hope this sweeps the sh*t out of the Oscars this year!

[smug alert, see below]

And to the folks that don't/didn't enjoy this picture, I say in the sincerest and most well-meaning way possible that you should take a couple college-level classes in cinematic studies... or at the very least try to audit one. Five years ago I would not have appreciated this picture the way I did today, and it's entirely because of the insight I learned behind filmmakers' methods of sharing their art. There are many books and even documentaries discussing the themes and intricacies used throughout cinematic history that really accentuate the experience and help you identify the difference between art & garbage. (***and for the record, just because a film might be garbage doesn't mean it isn't fun to watch time to time)

your point is mute 

I saw most of Tarkovsky's and Bergman's work and loved it all 

Same goes for Kubrick's Odyssey 

I didn't like this film and its my right not to like it ... honestly its starting to feel like a bandwagon right now 

I would elaborate even further and deeper why I didn't like this film but since all its getting is praise I'm not gonna post something that is clearly irrelevant to anyone but me 

I'm glad so many people love this film ... I'm just the odd man out I guess 

• Like 1

This really is a masterpiece of a film. There's so much emotional involvement with Stone. I was brought to tears more than once and had chills throughout the big sequences. That final descent is perhaps the greatest sequence I've ever seen on film. My body was literally shaking. Yes, I saw it on a real Imax screen in 3D. Well worth the $14. WHAT A FUCKING EXPERIENCE. I haven't felt this way in quite a while about a film.A+, right under Before Midnight for the year.

Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 5

Gravity

3PM, About 40% full, mostly older people.

Trailers:

Out of the Furnace: Looks decent, I thought it was amusing seeing Casey Affleck playing Batman's brother.

Grudge Match: Hey it's Rocky vs. Raging Bull! Some laughs.

Moment Men: Looks good, couple laughs and "I want to see that"

Jack Ryan: Finally a trailer! Looks really good, quite a bit of talking. Wonder when this will come out?

Hobbit: Really good reaction. Looks great.

47 Ronin: Laughs at the end with Mr. Reeves and some random Asian actresses "acting"

Movie: Pretty good. Though I did get sick sometimes during it. Ms. Bullock did a fantastic job. The 3d was not that bad, but I would hate to see this in IMAX (You can get pretty sick as I said). Visuals were great. Though I'm sure younger people will find this very boring (I know I would have). Not sure I will see this again, but still was made quite well.

B+/A-

• Like 2

I want another viewing (on a MUCH bigger screen) before I reach my final verdict, but holy crap, this was everything I wanted it to be. Shortest 90 minutes of my life. Favorite moments (in no order): shot of crew member's face cratered by debris right next to picture of his family, Clooney ascending into space after detatchment all Christ-like, Bullock's freaky lullaby that weaves itself into the score, the somber existential dream sequence, and the voyage home. That voyage home. I haven't lost myself in a movie this much since Before Midnight.

• Like 3

it's perhaps a little shame that in order to get enough money to create a groundbreaking cinematic experience you have to ally with hollywood which will inevitably cramp your script, and this did appear with sometimes silly dialogue plus a few too many contrivances and close calls. but it was still a rather awesome experience in 3D.

B (70)

Edited by lisa

Beautiful, thrilling, dramatic. Ah, this movie has it all. Absolutely loved it.

This is the ultimate survival film (eat your heart out James Franco) and really, maybe the most thrilling movie I've ever seen. My stomach was in knots the whole time.

Sandra Bullock is a sensation. Even Clooney was good. The scene where she emerges on the beach is so gratifying. After 90 minutes of rooting her on, it had to end that way. It just had to.

The first "shot" was insane. At the Swiss theaters they do a break at the halfway point and that point is at 45 minutes aka the end of the first take. Are you kidding me! Awesome. Oh, and by miles, the best 3D experience I've ever had. Did not distract a bit. It ENHANCED, as intended. All hail Alfonso Caurón.

A

Edited by aDIM
  • Like 1

your point is mute 

I saw most of Tarkovsky's and Bergman's work and loved it all 

Same goes for Kubrick's Odyssey 

I didn't like this film and its my right not to like it ... honestly its starting to feel like a bandwagon right now 

I would elaborate even further and deeper why I didn't like this film but since all its getting is praise I'm not gonna post something that is clearly irrelevant to anyone but me 

I'm glad so many people love this film ... I'm just the odd man out I guess 

It's your right, man. I support you. Different strokes and all.

• Like 1

Agree with everyone about the live/die thing. I think we all knew Clooney kicks the bucket - I thought it would be within the first 10 minutes but he made it to the halfway point, though I admit they did fool me for a minute with that dream sequence. What I didn't know is whether Stone lives or dies. I really wasn't sure. I know it's Hollywood and I had a feeling there might be backlash over her survival but sorry as a generic popcorn viewer, sue me, I was ecstatic to see her emerge from that water.

Too bad from a theater experience there were some douchebags laughing at her nearly drowning and getting caught in the seaweed. Mierda putas.

• Like 2