babz06

Cars 3 | 6.16.2017 | Trailer Page 14

Well we can't speak for this one yet, but I refuse to believe Cars 2 was made for anything but that. There's no way Lasseter or anyone else actually thought that plot was a story that really needed to be told. 

I doubt there was some quintessential concept that sparked the idea to make Cars 3. It was money dude.  

:)

Edited by lilmac

Well we can't speak for this one yet, but I refuse to believe Cars 2 was made for anything but that. There's no way Lasseter or anyone else actually thought that plot was a story that really needed to be told. 

Lassester really loves the car franchise. I think he got a bit too much lost in his own world when he made Cars 2, and this is coming from someone who thought Cars 2 was fine.

Lassester really loves the car franchise. I think he got a bit too much lost in his own world when he made Cars 2, and this is coming from someone who thought Cars 2 was fine.

Lasseter with the Cars franchise seems to be like George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels or Peter Jackson with the Hobbit trilogy. It's hard to tell where filmmaking ends, and overgrown kid playing with toys begins.

Cameron could end up being the same with the Avatar sequels...if he actually finishes building the toys with which he is going to play. :)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

As far as I can remember, Lasseter always talked about Cars as his life long dream film.

He always wanted to make an animated movie with Cars in it, it s probably his biggest passion project.

The way people talk about this franchise is a strange irony.

• Like 1

Lasseter with the Cars franchise seems to be like George Lucas with the Star Wars prequels or Peter Jackson with the Hobbit trilogy. It's hard to tell where filmmaking ends, and overgrown kid playing with toys begins.

Cameron could end up being the same with the Avatar sequels...if he actually finishes building the toys with which he is going to play. :)

I trust Cameron a lot to deliver a good Avatar sequel, but you never know.

Normally I applaud passion projects but the Cars franchise just feels like an exercise in self indulgence. There isn't nearly the kind of thought put into the world building to make it seem like a plausible universe like there is in Pixar's other films. It's all just "Hey, aren't talking cars awesome?" I think that's the main reason for the franchise's disdain. The world appears to still be designed for humans even though there aren't any in it. If they actually figured out a clever way for living cars to use phones or get gas or do repairs, I think people would be more accepting of it. But it's too late to do that now so this is always going to be Pixar's Black Sheep

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Normally I applaud passion projects but the Cars franchise just feels like an exercise in self indulgence. There isn't nearly the kind of thought put into the world building to make it seem like a plausible universe like there is in Pixar's other films. It's all just "Hey, aren't talking cars awesome?" I think that's the main reason for the franchise's disdain. The world appears to still be designed for humans even though there aren't any in it. If they actually figured out a clever way for living cars to use phones or get gas or do repairs, I think people would be more accepting of it. But it's too late to do that now so this is always going to be Pixar's Black Sheep

Black Sheep?

Or merchandise cash cow?

I think both.

• Like 1

People wouldn't complain about it being a merchandise cash cow if they liked it

This is true of a lot of things.

Plenty of people may complain about sequels and remakes of 30 year old movies, while they celebrate the third Spider-Man franchise in the space of a decade. They'll complain about Divergent finale being split, while they watch Mockingjay five times over.