ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder why it took them so long to give this a qualifying release instead of letting everyone assume they were dumping it in January. Maybe they didn't want to seem too extreme since it was supposed to come out in October of next year? Perhaps they realized there's no point in holding onto to the film until the next Oscar race when it's already finished, MPAA rating and all.

It's possible they expected the BvS/JLA movies to delay things for Affleck. Maybe everything went a lot smoother on all projects than they expected, so they were able to move this one up a lot sooner than originally planned.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's possible they expected the Bvs/JLA movies to delay things for Affleck. Maybe everything went a lot smoother on all projects than they expected, so they were able to move this one up a lot sooner than originally planned.

They did the exact opposite of what they did with The Accountant, which was supposed to come out in January and got bumped 9 months (and was completed last fall). But I think that was moved back because they knew he was gonna be tied up in divorce court around that time, and then had the BvS press tour/Justice League filming that would take up a lot of his time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I wonder why it took them so long to give this a qualifying release instead of letting everyone assume they were dumping it in January. Maybe they didn't want to seem too extreme since it was supposed to come out in October of next year? Perhaps they realized there's no point in holding onto to the film until the next Oscar race when it's already finished, MPAA rating and all.

That said, I think the prospects for this will be closer to The Town than to Argo (although The Town was most likely #11 that year and would've made the cut if not for Winter's Bone). All three of Affleck's movies have gotten acting nominations, all in the supporting categories, so I'm curious as to who to put in. Cinematography nom should be a given and maybe Costumes too.

I'm not sure why anyone would have thought they were dumping it in January given they moved it up 9 months.  When you dump a movie, you usually move it back, not forward 9 months.  

• Like 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

I'm not sure why anyone would have thought they were dumping it in January given they moved it up 9 months.  When you dump a movie, you usually move it back, not forward 9 months.  

January will always be known as a dumping ground. Same with the late August/Labor Day period (the success of Don't Breathe was an exception).

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

January will always be known as a dumping ground. Same with the late August/Labor Day period (the success of Don't Breathe was an exception).

I don't think that is the case anymore.  January has actually become viable early in the month as evidenced by The Revenant, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, Ride Along and even Taken 3 have shown you can make a ton of money.  

• Like 1

I don't think that is the case anymore.  January has actually become viable early in the month as evidenced by The Revenant, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, Ride Along and even Taken 3 have shown you can make a ton of money.  

Those three were all December releases that went wide in January and were riding on awards buzz.

They didn't announce a platform release until just now, hence why some impatient people assumed the film was a dud. January isn't a bad month to go wide with a film but the expectation is that the studio would platform it for awards consideration in December if they thought they had something worthy on their hands.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Those three were all December releases that went wide in January and were riding on awards buzz.

Correct, and what we are going to see more and more going forward.  Still doesn't change the fact they are wide released in January.  

Live By Night was always going to be the same platform release once the Warner Bros. execs loved it after seeing it in May.  

• Like 1

Even if you take out the Oscar contenders, you often have successful January films and the dumping ground becomes less and less.  

I think the true dumping grounds now are very late August and early September as usual, the 1st 2 weekends in December, Super Bowl weekend and late April.  Everything else at this point is fertile ground and you can open movies big.  

• Like 1

Even if you take out the Oscar contenders, you often have successful January films and the dumping ground becomes less and less.  

It's still a place where subpar movies go to become forgotten though. FYI there was only one fresh-rated movie that opened in January this year (Kung Fu Panda 3).

Live by Night took the slot previously held by Geostorm, the latter is a dump film as it's been delayed twice already. 

Dennis Lehane's novels have been good source material for movies with Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Shutter Island and hopefully Live by Night will continue that trend.