ChD

Live By Night | Christmas Day limited release, wide release on 01/13/17 | Ben Affleck/Warner Bros. New trailer on page 8

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There's no indication of a platform release (the description says January 13th), but if it does get a limited release in December I could totally see this earning a few tech noms at the least.

That trailer is for the UK.

Nothing in the American social media channels has been released yet.

A limited release on Christmas Day wouldn't be surprise me as I imagine WB won't want to release it same day as Rogue One or their own Collateral Beauty with an expansion on the 30th December or 6th January then wide on the 13th. Same strategy they used for American Sniper.

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Live by Night is the second film starring Ben Affleck that Leonardo DiCaprio has produced the first being the not so good Runner Runner. I wonder if Affleck and Leo would ever do a film together in an acting capacity. Maybe Affleck could persuade Leo to star in a DC film with him. :P

Leo is too busy chasing that second Oscar.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think Warner Bros moving it up by almost a year, they must be confident of its awards potential. 

Usually when a movie is moved to a January release, it usually means they have little to no confidence in it (FYI: when American Sniper got its release date, it was announced it would be limited December/wide January launch). Speaking of which, another upcoming Affleck film, The Accountant, was once set to be a January release (not a great sign) and moved back 9 months, although I think that's because they knew he was gonna occupied with divorce court around that time, plus thought he would have goodwill coming off of Batman v Superman.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Usually when a movie is moved to a January release, it usually means they have little to no confidence in it (FYI: when American Sniper got its release date, it was announced it would be limited December/wide January launch). Speaking of which, another upcoming Affleck film, The Accountant, was once set to be a January release (not a great sign) and moved back 9 months, although I think that's because they knew he was gonna occupied with divorce court around that time, plus thought he would have goodwill coming off of Batman v Superman.

I think the limited December release date for Live by Night will be announced fairly soon. Affleck has a great relationship with WB and I doubt if they thought the film was bad they would kept it in October 2017 rather than move the already long delayed Geostorm.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy said:

Don't wanna be a cliche but I was coming in here to say that it'd be super weird if they don't give this a qualifying run, looks like it could at least get some tech noms

I mean, why move it up 9 months?

If it was delayed to January, sure. But if you're moving it up, why not keep it Sep/Oct?