Neo

Point Break | December 25, 2015 | China Release on December 3rd, 3 weeks before the US.

53 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's too bad, I thought Hollywood was starting to move away from shameless, unnecessary remakes.

you did? why? when? the dumb carrie remake, the dumb robocop remake, the dumb secret in their eyes remake from literally a week ago are all pretty recent and useless.

• Like 10

I'll admit, I had a pretty good time watching this.

Maybe its because I haven't seen the original, but who knows.

PROS:

*Stunts are great, and they look gorgeous on the big screen. Motocross, skydiving, surfing, etc...if you love extreme sports then I think you'll have good time with these scenes (Must've been a hell of a tough time to shoot too)

*Even if it didn't do much with it, I found the premise of the movie (the whole pro-environment thing) pretty interesting. The whole "Ozaki 8" concept is cheesy as heck but I just went along with it, and points for trying to do something different.

CONS:

*Well, the characters are underwritten and the plot is bare-bones & predictable really. The emotional stuff falls flat and people will be wondering what exactly comprises the Ozaki 8, among other things.

*I was waiting for a big third-act setpiece but didn't get any. But the movie resolves itself in its own way.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

*I was okay with the quality of the acting. They're not terrible.

*This apparently has a $120 million (!!!) budget, but it shows on screen with the insane stunts and beautiful locations.

*If ever you were wondering, yes our protagonist

Spoiler

fires his gun into the air while shouting.

OVERALL:

B-movie levels of writing and acting coupled with A-movie levels of stunts and scenery. More of an extreme sports highlight reel than a proper crime action film, but it has enough eye candy.

2.5/4

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2015, 8:29:53, Alpha said:

It's too bad, I thought Hollywood was starting to move away from shameless, unnecessary remakes.

I don't have a problem with remakes per se, but I wish Hollywood stopped remaking films that, regardless of their original box office, became beloved cultural favorites. Remaking a film that lots of people love is a lose/lose proposition, and no matter how well-crafted the remake is, you will inevitably be compared to the original through the lens of nostalgia and pop culture reverence. Instead of remaking crowd favorites like Point Break, Footloose, and Robocop, why not resurrect cool, interesting films that nobody remembers like Electric Dreams and The Legend of Billie Jean ?

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

I'd be there opening day! It'd be pretty funny if it was a more comedic Her.

Wow. So I finally found the other person who liked Electric Dreams, eh? I thought I was the only one. :)

I have always found it weird that nobody wanted to redo it, since its themes are so relevant today. Her is definitely a spiritual successor to Electric Dreams.

I already have the cast for a remake: Jennifer Lawrence as the cello player and Zac Efron as the nerd. Virginia Madsen and Lenny Von Dohlen in cameo roles. Directed by Richard Curtis (Love Actually).

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Wow. So I finally found the other person who liked Electric Dreams, eh? I thought I was the only one. :)

I have always found it weird that nobody wanted to redo it, since its themes are so relevant today. Her is definitely a spiritual successor to Electric Dreams.

I already have the cast for a remake: Jennifer Lawrence as the cello player and Zac Efron as the nerd. Virginia Madsen and Lenny Von Dohlen in cameo roles. Directed by Richard Curtis (Love Actually).

I have a soft spot for it also because we used the song as my kindergarten graduation song lol

I can see Efron taking the role though Jlaw might have bigger projects in sight..but I'm terrible at imagining casts so what would I know? :P

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

It's official guys. Star Wars doesn't stand a chance. Point Break is going to demolish the competition; SW is going to lose all of its theatres, and CJohn will be amazed at the third weekend drop due to this magnificent remake.

3 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

I have a soft spot for it also because we used the song as my kindergarten graduation song lol

I can see Efron taking the role though Jlaw might have bigger projects in sight..but I'm terrible at imagining casts so what would I know? :P

The music is amazing! I have the soundtrack on my iPod, and it´s a favorite of mine!! Giorgio Moroder was a big deal in the eighties; you would think that this soundtrack would be better known...

• Like 1