Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm guessing the Bumblebee movie will be shelved if TF5 underperforms but I wonder how much TF5 would have to disappoint to force Paramount to reboot.

I think Bumblebee will go ahead, it's Transformers 6 that's more likely in jeopardy 

47 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

I just don't think you should base it on presales they're not very reliable especially in China. 

I would have thought that China would be were presales are the most reliable, a much bigger proportion of the ticket buying is presales/online versus the rest of the world and the only market that we know the numbers I think.

People on the BOT China message board using them for prediction tend to be really close, much more than prediction people make domestic.

Edited by Barnack

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Bumblebee will go ahead, it's Transformers 6 that's more likely in jeopardy 

doubt it. As long as it makes profit Paramount will go forward with 6. Remember othen than MI this is their only other big franchise

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Movie starts playing in 7 hours on the east coast and no reviews posted to Rotten Tomatoes. Impressive embargo by Paramount. Not sure why they are so sensitive about it though. This movie is supposedly critic-proof.

they're being extra cautious because of what happened with Baywatch and the 'powah of RT'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Movie starts playing in 7 hours on the east coast and no reviews posted to Rotten Tomatoes. Impressive embargo by Paramount. Not sure why they are so sensitive about it though. This movie is supposedly critic-proof.

Part of the embargo could also be to make people doing junket promoting the movie more comfortably (must be less fun to do them when the movie is getting trashed on RT), has the movie being critic-proof I'm not sure it is the case domestic.

The franchise went significantly down entry after entry after the second one.

Edited by Barnack

There are a couple reviews posted on Rotten Tomatoes, for those interested:

If there's a movie worse than this set for release this year, let's hope the distributor has the good sense not to do it.

June 20, 2017 | Rating: 1/5 | Full Review…
v1.YzsxNzY1O2o7MTczNzA7MTIwMDszODs0MQ

Military-Industrial Uncomplicated...Despite the theme that "Magic does exist" ("It was found long ago. Inside a crashed alien ship"), The Last Knight is all mirthless jokes and thrill-less mayhem.

June 20, 2017 | Rating: .5/4 | Full Review…
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Part of the embargo could also be to make people doing junket promoting the movie more comfortable (must be less fun to do them when the movie is getting trashed on RT), has the movie being critic-proof I'm not sure it is the case domestic.

The franchise went significantly down entry after entry after the second one.

that has more to do with natural sequel drops rather than reviews. It is happening with Fast and Furious and other franchises as well

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

now who should take over after Bay?

If Spielberg is involved, if he is interested JJ Abrams is probably seen has a deluxe option to revitalize a franchise. I only see producing type of gig on is IMDB page, no directing one, maybe he is free.

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

Reviews nowadays confuse me. Is the reviewer just being extra snarky when he uses "incomprehensible," or is the script really hard to follow? I have a problem believing that a film this expensive won't even adhere to the most rudimentary rules of storytelling. I am not talking about whether a script is deep and thought provoking; I am talking about basic narrative clarity. Whether it is Moonlight or Transformers, the plotline has to be easy to understand, right?

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

that has more to do with natural sequel drops rather than reviews. It is happening with Fast and Furious and other franchises as well

Fast is a bit of a special case, each entry grew at the domestic box office between Tokyo drift to 7, and the reviews when up too. It got down with Fast 8 but so did the reviews.

Hard to distinguish toxic critical reception from natural franchise fatigue, pretty much impossible to know, but the general point is that the franchise went down domestic overtime, a pit like Pirate did too, it is not certain that it is completely 100% robust to bad reviews.

Edited by Barnack