Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This looks like a goddamn mess.

It is, and the 14 year old girl Bay thinks is some great actress is absolutely terrible.  She is even worse in actual extended scenes.  

Michael Bay never figured out what the Fast and Furious franchise did, and that is as you go along you start having more fun.  Transformers has done the complete opposite and went from having fun to start the series to now so over the top serious it is unwatchable.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It is, and the 14 year old girl Bay thinks is some great actress is absolutely terrible.  She is even worse in actual extended scenes.  

Michael Bay never figured out what the Fast and Furious franchise did, and that is as you go along you start having more fun.  Transformers has done the complete opposite and went from having fun to start the series to now so over the top serious it is unwatchable.  

Michael Bay has never had to duplicate The Fast and the Furious series. His Transformers movies have done just fine and they have been massive hits worldwide. Sorry if I don't trust your opinion on Transformers movie.

• Like 2

Just now, EmpireCity said:

The best way to compensate is more explosions!

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Michael Bay has never had to duplicate The Fast and the Furious series. His Transformers movies have done just fine and they have been massive hits worldwide. Sorry if I don't trust your opinion on Transformers movie.

Define "have done just fine"..... financially?  Sure, nobody can deny that.  They make a profit.  

Nobody can also deny that except for the first movie (which had mediocre reviews) the rest of the series has been overwhelmingly poorly reviewed to downright laughable.  You don't have to trust my opinion on a Transformers movie, but I am well within the general critical consensus on these films.  They are in most opinions very bad films.  Paramount keeps making them because the China market loves to see pretty explosions and robots.  

It is also undeniable that each film keeps having a precipitous drop in box office returns in the domestic market.  The general public is rejecting them more and more each time they put one out.  

• Like 2

Who cares if they've had a drop in the domestic Market? We're talking about a film and what it makes worldwide. And I don't really have to Define what doing fine means when the films are grossing a billion dollars. And all I mean by not trusting your opinion on Transformers is that I've Loved pretty much everything about the first four movies where is you seem to be not overly thrilled with them and you have put this movie Down since the beginning from what I can recall. You don't have a lot of good things to say about it. So when I say I don't trust your opinion I just mean it seems like you and I have completely different opinions when it comes to Transformers.

And Fast Furious series hasnt been nearly as popular world wide as Transformers has been. Last movie not withstanding of course. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Define "have done just fine"..... financially?  Sure, nobody can deny that.  They make a profit.  

Nobody can also deny that except for the first movie (which had mediocre reviews) the rest of the series has been overwhelmingly poorly reviewed to downright laughable.  You don't have to trust my opinion on a Transformers movie, but I am well within the general critical consensus on these films.  They are in most opinions very bad films.  Paramount keeps making them because the China market loves to see pretty explosions and robots.  

It is also undeniable that each film keeps having a precipitous drop in box office returns in the domestic market.  The general public is rejecting them more and more each time they put one out.  

The first one was ok, the second was marginally entertaining.   Now it's just...ugh.  They are just unwatchable.

Just now, baumer said:

Who cares if they've had a drop in the domestic Market? We're talking about a film and what it makes worldwide. And I don't really have to Define what doing fine means when the films are grossing a billion dollars. And all I mean by not trusting your opinion on Transformers is that I've Loved pretty much everything about the first four movies where is you seem to be not overly thrilled with them and you have put this movie Down since the beginning from what I can recall. You don't have a lot of good things to say about it. So when I say I don't trust your opinion I just mean it seems like you and I have completely different opinions when it comes to Transformers.

And Fast Furious series hasnt been nearly as popular world wide as Transformers has been. Last movie not withstanding of course. 

Not to mention domesstic drops for long running franchises are normal

• Like 5

Just now, baumer said:

Well, I think on some level Paramount cares.  They liked it a lot more when the domestic grosses were $400m+ and not a likely $200m give or take but as I pointed out they still make a profit.  

I have nothing good to say about the movie and we do have different opinions, you are correct about that.  It looks pretty is about as complementary as I can be, but the acting is atrocious.  The plot is a mess.  The story line is incoherent.  Everyone but the tech department is phoning it in.  

I'm not a fan of the Fast and Furious series either, but they at least have found a way to not only increase their box office returns but at the same time churn out some critical hits.  That is all I would like from Transformers if they are going to keep making them.  They need to find a way to make a competent and coherent movie that doesn't play the OH LOOK EXPLOSIONS AND ROBOTS!! over and over.  Or they don't and they keep relying on the international market that eats that up to save them.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

There's something about Michael Bay action....it looks cool and I'm sure it was really difficult to film

But I just glaze over.

I even did it during that trailer.

It is because there is never any actual emotional weight to it.  His directing and set up and scripts he shoots from are so reliant on the actors telling you how emotional they feel instead of building it up and getting the audience invested.  Nothing ever feels at stake even though everyone is screaming about how they are saving the world.  Hey, another robot fight with shit flying everywhere but who cares.  

He was much better at it when he was a younger director.  There are scenes in movies like Bad Boys, The Rock and even Armageddon that have real emotional weight to them.  Now it is Mark Whalberg breathing heavy in slow motion waiting for someone to yell cut and go to craft services to grab a shake while CGI inserts 50 faceless fighting robots into a shot.  

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, I respectfully disagree with your opinion.