Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Why are you making me want to watch Transformers 4. Why

I'm sure the TJ Miller death is in one of those highlight reels on Youtube so you can just see that and not miss much.

Edited by cookie

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Hmm. I think this might struggle reaching 200 M. I feel the same way towards POTC V.

These are reasonable thoughts.

Also good reasons why you shouldn't be trying to launch a connected universe right now.

Prove me wrong Michael Bay.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Neither should stop making them and they both make a profit, it is one of them I think should actually try and make them good.  The other one figured out how to do that, so hopefully finally getting rid of Michael Bay and getting a more competent director might help.  

See stuff like this is ridiculous imo. Bay may not be your cup of tea but saying he is incompetent is just wrong. 

• Like 2

Maybe the best thing for me to do is to just stay out of a Michael Bay discussion. Bad Boys Armageddon The Rock Transformers 1 2 & 3 for all some of my favorite movies. So I will just stay out of the argument from now on I guess LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Maybe the best thing for me to do is to just stay out of a Michael Bay discussion. Bad Boys Armageddon The Rock Transformers 1 2 & 3 for all some of my favorite movies. So I will just stay out of the argument from now on I guess LOL

I love Bad Boys and The Rock.  Armageddon is pure tent pole filmmaking spectacle.  I enjoy Transformers 1.  I think Bad Boys 2 is vastly underrated.  This isn't me hating Michael Bay.  I enjoy a lot of his work and think he has made some highly entertaining films.  This is me hating unrestrained Michael Bay.  

My issue with Bay is he needs someone watching over him and telling him no.  He is like George Lucas in that way where if you have a strong producer and studio executive then he has to actually stay focused and on task.  The problem is whenever he has complete creative control with an unlimited budget he can't help but give into his worst tendencies.  

• Like 5

Huh yeah I think I'm burned out on this series. The trailer for AOE had me hyped but this one had me cringing at some of the CGI especially involving the big fight between Optimus and Bumblebee.

That looked a lot like the big final set piece of TMNT2 where it was just a giant CGI mess. For the first time, I very well might pass on this in theaters. Have to see how I feel that week. I don't like the new characters introduced either...the doctor character (or whatever) looks like a Megan Fox clone 4.0.

19 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It is, and the 14 year old girl Bay thinks is some great actress is absolutely terrible.  She is even worse in actual extended scenes.  

Yeah we got to see plenty of her in the trailer made for BATB (or whatever) and I completely believe this.

17 hours ago, JB33 said:

What I'm saying is that the hyperbole around movies like this gets embarrassing sometimes. These movies are based on a toy line and most of us are adults. The world doesn't revolve around us.

When you walk out of a theater after nearly 3 hours of extremely loud effects and feel it was too much, then it's not hyperbole. I love the first film in this series, the second was dumb but entertaining at the time, the third was a lot of fun and the fourth while way overlong had it's moments. I'm already forgetting which had the sequence which felt like the actual ride at Universal. I think it was AOE.

And I did rewatch AOE when it came to Bluray for some of the cool set pieces (like the ones in Chicago), but it felt every bit as long and I had to take a break in the middle of it. I did love the score of the villain though.

From these trailers none of these set pieces look as inventive as AOE and I don't care that Optimus and Bumblebee are fighting.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The trailer is bombing on YouTube; Paramount's upload only has 2.4M views after 23 hours.

Thats because they released it randomly without any real mention beforehand. 

Tramsformers  4 however had lower trailers than most summer 2014 movies and still outgrossed most of them so this is not indicative of failure 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Thats because they released it randomly without any real mention beforehand. 

Tramsformers  4 however had lower trailers than most summer 2014 movies and still outgrossed most of them so this is not indicative of failure 

The amount of talk around trailers views, first 24 hours views, etc... while some people still ask themselve or are piss about studio that make trailer teaser and announcement instead of simply releasing them. 

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

My issue with Bay is he needs someone watching over him and telling him no.  He is like George Lucas in that way where if you have a strong producer and studio executive then he has to actually stay focused and on task.  The problem is whenever he has complete creative control with an unlimited budget he can't help but give into his worst tendencies.  

Bay often work on thigh budget, obviously Pain&Gain (26 million with that cast and being a bit of a "period" movie) for example and he didn't needed a strong producer or any exec, it was 100% is show, if those rumored Transformer budget are true he is far from having unlimited budget and is being really reasonable efficient (I'm talking only about 1 and most of the 4 was not able to finish it, haven't not see the other 2 but from the trailers it seem to be the case too).

And that could be part of the issue, how much fiscally responsible he is, to some extreme like literally retaking shot from previous movie to save money to accept General Motors, US army, etc... demands to reduce is movies cost or augment spectacle at little cost, he is really far to someone that is not always thinking about money that is running wild with budgets and hurting studios, arguably a bit too much the other way around.

You give Bay creative control or you don't use him imo, he is a small studio.

• Like 1