Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

26 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I don't know why people are so worried about trailer views, these movies never had a massive presence in social medias, although, let's not forget that the first trailer broke views records, something that The Last Jedi couldn't do.

The movie appeals to nobody outside of hardcore fans. It doesn't help that it's the third Transformers film in 6 years and fifth in 10.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The movie appeals to nobody outside of hardcore fans. It doesn't help that it's the third Transformers film in 6 years and fifth in 10.

This wouldn't matter so much if Transformers bothered in any sort of a story arc to justify this...Transformers (the film series) ain't exactly Harry Potter or the MCU.

I hate how some of my favorite franchises are planning to basically run their franchises into the ground. I don't say that Transformers and Fast & Furious need to end soon because I hate them...I say it because I really do love them. I don't want them to be run into the ground because the studios are trying to milk them for every penny. They're not comic book film universes where it actually makes sense to keep going and going. At some point sooner rather than later, these franchises are going to have to come to a conclusion.

19 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

This wouldn't matter so much if Transformers bothered in any sort of a story arc to justify this...Transformers (the film series) ain't exactly Harry Potter or the MCU.

Agreed, and this is why every franchise needs a writers room or story group or whatever. There needs to be some greater plan or arc.

Transformers does have this now, so we'll see what happens with this franchise.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Agreed, and this is why every franchise needs a writers room or story group or whatever. There needs to be some greater plan or arc.

Not saying that you are right or wrong, but that sound dangerous to me, that would be turning movies into tv series and like tv into a producer/writer medium instead of a director one, well a bit like the MCU became, making the narrative and story more important than the movie itself like it tend to be on tv.

Franchise, at least some of them, should be tool to give director large budget in the safety of a sure first weekend to take filmmaking chance, they can let every Cloverfield or Madmax entry be is own thing without having some larger story arc that restrict the director (and will greatly restrict the pool of director that would ever accept to have to respond to a writing room).

It is ok if the director is in charge of that room and keep all control like Cameron on Avatar or when a director do all the episode of a tv mini-series of course.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not saying that you are right or wrong, but that sound dangerous to me, that would be turning movies into tv series and like tv into a producer/writer medium instead of a director one, well a bit like the MCU became, making the narrative and story more important than the movie itself like it tend to be on tv.

Franchise, at least some of them, should be tool to give director large budget in the safety of a sure first weekend to take filmmaking chance, they can let every Cloverfield or Madmax entry be is own thing without having some larger story arc that restrict the director (and will greatly restrict the pool of director that would ever accept to have to respond to a writing room).

It is ok if the director is in charge of that room and keep all control like Cameron on Avatar or when a director do all the episode of a tv mini-series of course.

Transformers is a work for hire franchise designed to sell toys. You're not going to get Jim Cameron to write/direct these so don't even try. Writers room is the only way to go.

Transformer is a franchise designed to sell toys by Hasbro, you are not gonna get Cameron (not sure how you got that from my message), but they have the chance of having Bay in charge, and it is impossible to have him without letting him have total control of is movie, he is as auteur as it get in blockbusters.

Transformer is the type of series that can easily be "sacrificed", stop being movies and turned into a large scale tv series for sure with an hired director raising is hand a couple of time during the shot to say suggestion like a tv director.

23 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

A writer's room doesn't mean "make them like TV". 

Even if it "did", Transformers is probably the last thing people would complain about being TVlike given that the TV cartoons of Transformers have better writing than the films.

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Transformer is a franchise designed to sell toys by Hasbro, you are not gonna get Cameron (not sure how you got that from my message), but they have the chance of having Bay in charge, and it is impossible to have him without letting him have total control of is movie, he is as auteur as it get in blockbusters.

Transformer is the type of series that can easily be "sacrificed", stop being movies and turned into a large scale tv series for sure with an hired director raising is hand a couple of time during the shot to say suggestion like a tv director.

They won't have Bay for everything that follows 5 anyway.

26 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

A writer's room doesn't mean "make them like TV". 

well no, if a director hire a writer room to write is movie/movies, but that is not how I understood the conversation, it was about a writing room writing a arc for multiple movie, in advance.

With that hole story arc writing by producers/exec/writers in advance, and then they hire a different director that need to fit in that box to put an "episode" in the can. Making them hard to watch one without the rest of the movies in that arc.

That said that is what Lucas did on the OT and that is what making a Sorkin movie look like, the lords of the rings movies was exactly that so yeah you are right it does not mean necessary make them like TV at all, that only a bad reputation that Marvel created in my mind.

But if a lot of the staff stay the same on those movies, they tend to end up in control more than the changing hired director.

Edited by Barnack

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

well no, if a director hire a writer room to write is movie/movies, but that is not how I understood the conversation, it was about a writing room writing a arc for multiple movie, in advance.

With that hole story arc writing by producers/exec/writers in advance, and then they hire a different director that need to fit in that box to put an "episode" in the can. Making them hard to watch one without the rest of the movies in that arc.

That said that is what Lucas did on the OT and that is what making a Sorkin movie look like, the lords of the rings movies was exactly that so yeah you are right it does not mean necessary make them like TV at all, that only a bad reputation that Marvel created in my mind.

But if a lot of the staff stay the same on those movies, they tend to end up in control more than the changing hired director.

Writers rooms can basically be whatever the figure in charge (director, exec producer, etc) wants them to be. But in terms of movies, I think a lot of times the writers room is used to hash out the basics of the universe and how the stories might interconnect, or at the very least how they can avoid complicating/confusing each others' stories or essentially falling into the trap of telling the same story. Then the specific writers for each movie actually go off and write that specific movie. That's the sensible creative way to do it.

I've heard sometimes that execs will just hire a bunch of writers and set them each on parallel (unique) pitches or outlines, then the exec picks his favorite bits and recombines them (using whichever writer they deem is "best" for it). That way lies madness -- IMO.

Regardless, the writers are not the ones in charge -- they never are on movies unless they're senior producers or the director.

• Like 3

On 17/04/2017 at 10:44 PM, drdungbeetle said:

This movie will be lucky to get where Logan is now in terms of US gross.

Not sure about international...but let's just say I don't think there's too much room for Transformers to expand further at this point.

The fourth one already decreased everywhere but China and L.A. And this time, LA won't be able to save the day thanks to shit ER, and the best we can hope from China is to it stay flat. I won't be shocked if it have the same kind of drop of Ice Age 4 > 5.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

22 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The fourth one already decreased everywhere but China and L.A. And this time, LA won't be able to save the day thanks to shit ER, and the best we can hope from China is to it stay flat. I won't be shocked if it have the same kind of drop of Ice Age 4 > 5.

Yeah, I basically agree with you on this theory.

25 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

aggressive marketing from Paramount will keep it from being an Ice Age 5 

and as long as the movie makes any profit they will greenlight another one

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

aggressive marketing from Paramount will keep it from being an Ice Age 5 

and as long as the movie makes any profit they will greenlight another one

Marketing can't save a franchise that's already been tapped out, and as Mockingjay said, the "good" run of #4 was because it still had room to expand in China...not so much now.

They've already committed to Bumblebee...but they REALLY need to reduce the budgets on these as much as possible.